UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Just broke down

Old 09-04-2004, 04:55 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just broke down

Just been out for a blast, enjoying what may be the only summer we get this year.
Pulled up at a level crossing and followed the advice on the little signs "Switch off engine, stop pollution"
So I am sat at the front of the queue, engine off, stereo on (but not very loud let me add) minding my own business.
Train number 1 comes past and barrier stays down. Train number 2 comes past and barrier still down. There had, infact, been a failure with the barrier and it was staying down no matter what, but I didn't know this at the time.
So I decide enough is enough and go for the little red button, but you've guessed it already, not enough charge in the battery to turn the engine over.
Now this is damn embarassing as several MX5's, MGF's and Z3's go by (they were weaving inbetween the barriers).
Call out Britannia Rescue who arrive in 15 mins (Fair play fellas, I was in the middle of nowhere and it is Saturday afternoon).
First thing mechanic says is "That's a bloody small battery for a big engine".
Anyway all's well that ends well and car starts no problems.

Moral of story - Don't have your stereo on when the engine is off, I was only stopped for about 8 - 10 mins.

Gives me a good excuse to go and drive around for the next hour or so to charge the thing back up again though.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:00 AM
GSi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top Tip #2: If your battery does run down due to leaving the lights/radio on for a while, wait 15 minutes with everything switched off and try again before calling out the recovery company It will probably fix itself.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:01 AM
MrV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless your running a monster ICE system ,you should get more than 10 mins out of the battery ,sounds like it could be on the way out ,might be an idea to get it checked
Old 09-04-2004, 05:07 AM
LTB

Originally Posted by MrV,Sep 4 2004, 01:01 PM
Unless your running a monster ICE system ,you should get more than 10 mins out of the battery ,sounds like it could be on the way out ,might be an idea to get it checked
My thoughts exacctly.

Is in for a service this month, so will ask them to look at it.

Tried the leave it for 10 mins trick aswell, but that didn't work.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:01 AM

U gotta see the funny side! I always carry a set of jump leads!
Old 09-04-2004, 11:40 AM
LTB

Yeah, I wasn't in a rush and it was a nice day so I took it in good humour.

The funniest thing was that the car still managed to be cool even though it had broken down.

These 2 young guys in a white van stopped and offered to help me push it to the side of the road and they kept on saying "Honda S2000, Honda S2000 !!"

They were happy just to have pushed it, nevermind have a go in it.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pushing the clutch in can help too

Taking the transmission load off the engine can sometimes make enough of a difference to get it to start
Old 09-05-2004, 03:51 AM

That has got to be a first looking cool whilst pushing a broken down car At least it was nothing to serious and no damage was done. I have a large ICE install and this does concern me a little.
Thought about a larger battery then decided sod it - the amount of CO2 produced leaving the engine running is a drop in the ocean compared to all the cows farting!
Old 09-05-2004, 04:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't remember the exact figures but to be honest there isn't much point turning your engine off unless your stationary for a LONG time. It's something daft like you use the equivalent of 20 minutes of idling petrol just to start the engine.

When the engine doesn't have any load on it you use all fuel
Old 09-05-2004, 04:22 AM

I'd heard that as well!

Quick Reply: Just broke down