UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Jump start question

Old 01-07-2010, 04:38 AM

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Jump start question

Even though I cant go out anywhere I thought I'd start the S to check it would still do so. and guess what, not enough juice to start it.

The manual says I should connect the + to the battery...simple.
Then connect the (-) to the metal projection near the intake manifold. Can someone help me identify what metal projection Honda are on about. the diagram provided makes absolutely no sense. !

What happens if I just connect it to the (-) terminal of the battery ???
Old 01-07-2010, 04:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shouldn't make any difference I would've thought.

I've jumpstarted many cars many times just by connecting to the battery terminals and it has always worked fine.

Can't see the s2k being any different.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As said negative terminal will be fine..
Old 01-07-2010, 05:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The last time I jump started mine, I used the battery terminals, with no problems.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anywhere with metal is good for ground.

hell, you could use the bodywork if it wasnt covered in paint

battery terminals for me too - i left it a little bit too long over xmas and it just wouldnt quite go.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anywhere that is connected to -ve on the car will be fine (such as the intake manifold)...the -ve terminal of the battery just happens to be convenient and a good connection
Old 01-07-2010, 06:38 AM

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

ticking over nicely now. thanks all for the advice.

just need the thaw now to get out of the driveway !

hope your all having fun out there.......
Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 AM

I jumped my S2000 a couple of days ago and used one of the studs that holds the rocker cover on as the -ve connection.

There is a risk involved when using the -ve terminal of the battery. If the battery happens to be producing any hydrogen at the time, then there is a risk of explosion. This generally only happens when the battery is charging, which is why you should always make the connection to the flat -ve battery terminal LAST. 'Sealed' batteries are also less prone to venting hydrogen than older non-sealed types.

In case anyone is thinking 'bah- that crap would never happen' I once made the mistake of making the final connection to the -ve terminal of the 'live' car. The sparks ignited the hydrogen, and BOOM! The battery exploded, launching the top half several hundred feet into the air. It took about 10 seconds to return to earth. I had a sore hand, but no other injuries, apart from my pride. Scared the living cr@p out of me too.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 AM
B B

Originally Posted by andy2000,Jan 7 2010, 07:38 AM

ticking over nicely now. thanks all for the advice.

just need the thaw now to get out of the driveway !

hope your all having fun out there.......
Last used the S for a New Years Day blast, & now I suspect it will be trapped in garage for at least a week.
Battery now connected to trickle charger/conditioner BUT at first opportunity will drive car round block to get all liquids warm AND to avoid flat-spotting tyres.

The positive outcome of the negativity in not being able to drive the S (top stowed of course) is that the joy will be so much sweeter for the waiting.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_the_Rogue,Jan 7 2010, 04:38 PM
In case anyone is thinking 'bah- that crap would never happen' I once made the mistake of making the final connection to the -ve terminal of the 'live' car. The sparks ignited the hydrogen, and BOOM!
i thought the same too, then i used a grinder in the same garage a as a battery on charge, the battery exploded and evrything got covered in acid..... be carefull

Quick Reply: Jump start question