UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Juddering - dealer rectification.

Old 12-21-2001, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Juddering - dealer rectification.

I would like to know if anyone has had the juddering many of us seem to experience fixed by a dealer.

I do quite a high mileage- about 2500 -3000 a month and the M6/M42 Birmingham, M25, and M62 are regular parking spots !

Clearly I am becoming a 'bucking expert' on this quirk.

Took it to the dealer a couple of month ago, must of done a 5 minute test, clearly they havent got the time for 45 minutes in stationary traffic. Found nothing wrong.

Got the 9K service coming up want to get it sorted, sometimes it feels like the car is going to punt me into the car in front, not really satisfactory.

Anyone help me with information I can provide to the dealer.

Also I get a buzzing, like a loose metallic plate or nut in 3rd/4th on decelleration is this the noise that is commonly discussed.

Your help will be greatly appreciated, it would seem that over the next few months that I might become the hiigh mileage reference.

The car was first registered May 2001

Thanks in anticipation

Sean W
Old 12-21-2001, 12:42 AM

Hi Sean,

The bucking is getting on my nerves too.

The consensus on the US forums seems to be the MAP sensor.

I have reset my ECU and this doesnt now seem to have made any difference so will probably get it looked at at my 9000m service.

Sorry I cant be more helpful but I think this is the current state of play - I was going to replace the MAP sensor myself to see if that sorted it - price was $50 from Majestic in the US but I couldnt find out their shipping details. partsboy wanted
Old 12-21-2001, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help you guys with any clutch buzz problems because thankfully I don't have the problem ( Touching wood). Re. the juddering. Reset the ECU if you haven't already. Try GENTLY tapping the map sensor(No lump hammers ) I'm becoming more and more convinced that a CAI would go a long way to solving this problem.

Why not try removing the airbox lid for a day and trying that. It wont give you colder air but it will give you more of it. Just see if it makes a difference. It sounds great anyway!
Old 12-21-2001, 02:19 AM

Cedric - have you had the kangerooing problem? And if so, what fixed it?
Old 12-21-2001, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by SeanW
Also I get a buzzing, like a loose metallic plate or nut in 3rd/4th on decelleration is this the noise that is commonly discussed.Sean W
If it sounds like a heat shield rattle, and if you get it at around 3500 rpm when you decelerate and if you can "hold" the noise by keeping those rev's then it's an idler gear noise that the clutch is supposed to dampen out.

It's most noticeable in 2nd and 3rd, but I do still get it in 1st and 4th (although not nearly as bad).

If this is the problem then Honda will replace the clutch under warranty with the new design. I'm having mine done 3rd January.

HTH

Pete
Old 12-21-2001, 02:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keith - I knew it was tempting fate when I told you in Abinger I was little aflicted by the Kangarooing problem - it has happend 2 or 3 times this week (not nearly as often as you I know!) Still, I'm not used to it and it surprises me every time. Wonder if it has anything to do with my absent airbox cover It does seem pretty likely from what I have read.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:40 AM

Keith.

I don't get the kangarooing problem thankfully. I will qualify that by saying that once in a blue moon, the car will 'bog' slightly when applying revs from stationary. It's a very minor thing which usually involves just lifting off and back on the revs. It happens sometimes when I've been stationary in traffic any length of time. The other typical time is if I've hammered along the motorway, come off on a slip road and reached the roundabout. If I have to stop at that point I sometimes get it then. I can't stress how infrequent and minor a problem it is in my case. When I did my air horn install, I removed and left out the plastic cover which sits in front of the rad. The air filter is free to draw much colder ram air as a result. I've noticed a marked improvement in throttle response as a result, which is why i'm coming to the conclusion that a CAI may be the answer.

If you look at that plastic cover it denies a lot of cold ram air to the filter intake apart from some small very inadequate slots in it. It effectively forces the filter intake to draw air from over the top of the hot rad. This is going to have a more marked effect obviously when stationary as hot air is going to build up under the bonnet. Your dealer will tell you that the plastic cover is a water dam to protect the filter from the ingress of water. If you remove your airbox lid you will see that the box is well water trapped anyway. The only likely scenario for getting water in the filter IMHO is to run at speed in into very deep standing water. In short I think the air intake point is bady sited and Honda should seriously consider a better arrangement.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]Keith.

I will qualify that
Old 12-21-2001, 03:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianl
[B]Wonder if it has anything to do with my absent airbox cover
Old 12-21-2001, 04:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 2 forms of juddering, or kangarooing. (I've had both).

- The most common one is where the engine bogs, and then picks up. This seems to be the map sensor. Since getting into the habit of giving a small throttle blip (to 1300-1500rpm, not revving the nuts off the car!), before setting off, it happens only very occasionally. Better than before. I think this is what you are experiencing.

- The second form, is far worse, but much rarer. I've had it occur a handfull of times, and only when the car has been 'parked' in heavy traffic for a while. What happens here is when rolling at about 5-6mpg (~1100 rpm) just above idle with a tiny bit of throttle, the car suddenly picks up to ~1500rpm without any throttle input, then dies back to ~1000rpm before surging back up again. To stop the cycle I've had to either dip the clutch quickly, or give a big stab of throttle is there's space. This one is very nasty - I leave a big gap in stop/go traffic as this has nearly has me into the back on someone in the past.

Regards fixes, CAI's could help. It's also been reported that thermostat packages stop this. I think it's going to be very hard to get the dealer to do anything.

-Brian.

Quick Reply: Juddering - dealer rectification.