UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Jenson

Old 09-24-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaxxy,Sep 24 2009, 04:36 PM
Not any more ma'am
Gaxxy

Compliments of Bristol Honda I am now installed in a fast, frisky and beautiful Civic 2.2i CTDi (Gaxxy just who is it at Bristol Honda who said the customer always comes first and as a result is now cycling to work? )

And for the first time this week, I've had no back pain driving the long road home from Swindon!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Sep 24 2009, 05:20 PM
When I've had a hire car supplied by Honda via enterprise its been something decent and my dealer said that honda will specify a class of car that is at least tolerably close to what they are repairing. I ended up with a passat estate.

I'd be complaining about being given a Micra!

Oh and the reasons for honda giving me a hire car were identical to yours. Engine had failed, needed replacing and the replacement had to come from Belgium in my case. Mine went at 17k miles though.
Lower, I'm told Enterprise are all out of D & E grade hire cars so I ended up with the Micra...just not good enough really. Especially when their own staff were still trundling around town in a top of the range Mondeo. The young girl in their office tried very hard to help but as is usually the case, the non-customer-facing decision-makers above her were stone deaf.

And when I rang Honda Assist to complain they merely provided me with the AA's complaint line number. It's been a hectic week but hopefully I'll have some breathing space over the weekend to provide Honda UK with some constructive feedback!

The one thing I will say though is that Bristol Honda have been brilliant and in so doing make Honda UK look good...
Old 09-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not any consolation to you good people, but I would be dead interested to know the cause.
As would a lot of other tech types on here, I'm sure.

Misfiring and popping would indicate valve train trouble if no CEL lights are on.
Odd that the other garage want to fit a short engine...
I wonder if the CCTs are packing in?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM

My car is en route to Bristol - so this should be good for all of us as the guys there can compare and contrast my engine to Trish's

Why is my car headed to Bristol I hear you all cry

1/ Somehow... they managed to expedite the parts quicker than Crown.
My car has been at Crown for over 2 weeks now. I called Crown 2 days ago - to be told it would take up to another week or so to get the parts.
Gaxxy can get it in a few days. Go figure.

2/ Jorge is leaving Crown on Wed . And he is their S guru.

3/ By the admission of another mechanic at Crown when I took my car in with the original fault. He felt he wasn't qualified to work on the S. Come back whe Jorge is back in town 2 weeks later.
A nice 70 mile round trip that was

I'll ask for some photo's too.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Sep 24 2009, 09:50 PM
Not any consolation to you good people, but I would be dead interested to know the cause.
As would a lot of other tech types on here, I'm sure.

Misfiring and popping would indicate valve train trouble if no CEL lights are on.
Odd that the other garage want to fit a short engine...
I wonder if the CCTs are packing in?
Steve, there was no misfiring or associated popping (I know first-hand what a misfire pop sounds like). The pop I heard was more akin to a bang, something being forced under pressure and not a mis-fire. It wasn't a sharp bang either, if that makes sense, but rather raspy and rough. (A bit like a lump of metal being fired through a running engine under full steam.)

I appreciate a lot of you newer S owners are watching developments with interest. As soon as anything concrete's known, I'll post it up...along with any pics.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bokkie,Sep 24 2009, 10:38 PM
(A bit like a lump of metal being fired through a running engine under full steam.)
Mmm.. maybe thats exactly what it was!

I had a bike go lean and throw a piston ring out of the exhaust.
Burnt no oil, tickover a bit rough but ran okay.
You wouldnt believe the state of the cylinder head, piston and cylinder walls though.

The tinkling noises I thought were my camchain failing, were bits of metal ring occasionally ejecting out of the exhaust

Oh well, time will tell.
Kind of puts the mockers on the brag Honda trot out about never having a VTEC engine fail in so many millions of units.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Sep 24 2009, 10:16 PM
Kind of puts the mockers on the brag Honda trot out about never having a VTEC engine fail in so many millions of units.
That's not what they say, though. They say that they have never had a VTEC failure...
Old 09-25-2009, 12:54 PM

Right, are you sitting comfortably?

Have you got your popcorn...

Or, like me, your wine/beer/bevy...

Good, I'll begin.

Following numerous pleas, I'm to introduce my "other" car:

(And, yes Pip, you were right: it's BLUE!)

Good news is that it's gone back to Enterprise & I've now got a superb Jenson substitute in the shape of the Civic 2.2i CTDi...I think I'm going to keep it as my 2nd car!

Jenson Update
BAD NEWS: He needs to have his short engine replaced
BETTER NEWS: ETA for delivery is sometime later this coming week
EVEN BETTER NEWS: Short engine's being replaced under warranty so no impact on my purse!
BEST NEWS: So I'll have Jenson's knob under my hand again by end of week after next.

WORST NEWS: I'll have to run the engine in all over again!
allowed

Once the engine's been taken apart & the cause of the big bang has been confirmed, I'll post it up for folks to see. Watch this space...

Huge thanks to Gaxxy for all his hard work and to all at Bristol Honda who have had involvement!

In closing, a few pics of my beloved car, sans the short bits:

to all who have shown their support,
from a somewhat happier Bokkie
Old 09-25-2009, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bokkie,Sep 25 2009, 08:54 PM
In closing, a few pics of my beloved car, sans the short bits:

I'm no expert, but that looks like an engine with the airbox removed to me. I hope they're replacing a bit more than that.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:19 PM

I don't have a pic of the Jenson underbelly

Quick Reply: Jenson