UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Jenson

Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As i said i second what Mikey said....i will repeat again......bail out.....
Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 PM

A quick update folks:

I rang the insurers & DVLA today to inform them of the new engine number. I am told that you are required by law to inform the latter and that not informing the former could invalidate your insurance in the event of a claim. Just thought I'd post this up because my insurers Chris Knott are adamant that I'm the first S owner to tell them of a change of engine number. Perhaps those that have had engine replacements are insured elsewhere?

It pains me to type this and, being honest, I've spent most of this evening trying to laugh so that I don't absolutely

Jenson has another noise

As I couldn't get down to Bristol because of work commitments, I popped into the local Milton Keynes dealer (they're a great crowd) tonight for mechanic Kieran to have a listen.

In short, there are 2 new noises:

A boinging noise (only way I can think to describe it) when depressing the clutch. It's not always present and seems to occur most when putting the car into first. The noise seems to be coming from the other side of the car wall from my feet.

The second noise occurs when the car is warm & you're easing off the accelerator - it's a sort of rasping noise & seems to be coming from the top of the engine compartment.

Needless to say, good old Gaxxy & the team at Bristol Honda have once again stepped up....they're taking Jenson off my hands first thing tomorrow morning & providing me with alternative transport (I'm off on holiday before the crack of dawn).

Now all I have to do is explain to my 7 year old niece why she can't do the Mexican wave on our annual family holiday

Anyways, just wanted to update you on developments and also nudge those that have had engines replaced to notify the DVLA & their insurers.

Thanks for your support guys, it keeps me standing...and sane...well almost!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:45 PM

ohhh Bokkie i would do anything to have kevin at 7.30 in the morning..............
Old 08-18-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bokkie,Aug 9 2010, 05:03 PM
:And if I did sell the S, what on earth would I buy? Cue m1bjr
Well, you answered your own question in the same post.
Originally Posted by Bokkie
driving joy

BTW those noises are very reminiscent of a clutch plate issue.
Hopefully they bolted it up right last time?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Could the cause of these failures be non engine related. Such as a faulty ECU or a non balanced gear set.

Its kind of strange these faults are happening over and over again on the same cars. Or maybe just a coincidence
Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trip,Aug 18 2010, 03:25 PM
Could the cause of these failures be non engine related. Such as a faulty ECU or a non balanced gear set.

Its kind of strange these faults are happening over and over again on the same cars. Or maybe just a coincidence
I did think the same thing. One thing worth noting is that the replacement engines do not come with any factory oil in them so when I asked what oil my dealer would be putting in my new engine they just said normal semi synth. I rang a few other dealers (incl Bristol) and they all said the same so this made me wonder if the 2nd engine failures could be related to the fact that they are not putting Mineral oil in as per the manual.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd be expecting Honda UK to authorise the garage to buy the car back at RETAIL price so Trish can decide what she wants to do. It might be blue but it's starting to look like a yellow car to me, spent almost an hour chatting on the phone last night talking about it.

2 engines is bad enough, to have something that sounds like a dead or dying clutch directly after the second engine fitting can't be coincidence. It's a moot point whether it's parts or fitting, it's yet another period where the car is off the road.

I wouldn't fancy owning a late 08 on S2000 that's for sure and if I was a supplying dealer, I'd be feeling more than a little nervous too.
Honda must be wondering when they're going to get a mention in one of the consumer action sites / programs.

I wonder how many more 08 and 09 cars are out there with the same death noises but are being soothed by dealers who don't know what they're listening for that there is 'no problem at all', it's a characteristic of the car' type responses.

Having heard both of her engines before they were eventually diagnosed with death rattle, neither one sounded terminal, it was just like a loose heatshield bolt / rattling cat / noisy valve type noise. If you didn't know it was associated with engine death, there is no way you'd believe it would cause it.

The noise starts at just over 3000rpm and continues up to about 4000ish and is a light harmonic rattle / vibration. You can hear it best with the bonnet raised, if the bonnet is shut, the noise is transmitted down the transmission tunnel which makes it sound like it's cat / exhaust related. Standing next to the drivers door mirror listening, you can hear the sound coming from the back of the engine bay, it's quite distinctive over and above the normal engine noise.

p800bry - the above is an excellent point!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Lets not start any more hysteria here.

I'm sure Bokkie will be worried enough without random, unfounded speculation about what's wrong with her car.

Putting fully synth oil in a brand new engine will not kill an engine. It might affect how well the rings seal but its not going be the cause of repeated failures.

The faults above are likely to be minor mechanical problems such as a resonating part as result of the engine replacement, is unlikely to be a dying clutch and i'm sure will be easily fixed.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by lower,Aug 19 2010, 09:30 AM
Lets not start any more hysteria here.

I'm sure Bokkie will be worried enough without random, unfounded speculation about what's wrong with her car.
That wasn't speculation on my part, that was what was suggested by the S2000 Master Technician at Johnsons Honda in Milton Keynes after he drove it and was the subject of last nights conversation on the phone.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is that the same master technician that couldn't diagnose what the the engine fault was and hence Bokkie ended up taking the car to Bristol Honda?

Either way, Bristol Honda have done the original work, are familiar with what they've done and i'm sure will rectify the problems now.

The problem with this situation (having been through it myself a number of times) is that you crave information. But speculation from here doesn't help.

The engine has just been replaced, the car is under warranty, so Bokkie needs to let Bristol Honda do their thing and diagnose and fix the faults.

If she's not happy with the end result, that's when its time to talk to honda (if she's not already at that point).

Quick Reply: Jenson