UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Jenson

Old 08-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Japs and Germans.
In business neither will admit an epic fail.
There will never be any recall IMO.

And my thoughts lie not with the lucky forum members here,
but with the poor people who buy used, low mileage S2000 off the little local car lot in two years time.

I seriously looked at the FD2 Civics and Accords this year, and although I know they are not the same motors, this thread stopped me looking any further at Honda.

A Quality issue is just that, and it may not be limited to one motor type.
And as there is zero feedback for many months I make another choice.
To buy into any unknown is at best foolish.

So from a potential company car (Accord) and a potential private owned Civic, I ended up (happily) with two BMWs on the drive instead of two Hondas.

I doubt anyone at Honda really cares though

What I dont understand is what keeps owners coming back for more. And more.
I would do what Gaspode did, and make a very quick exit.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after a few days of listening to my (thankfully quiet and in good order) engine, i'm sitting here trying not to get too complacent but hugely glad your engine's being sorted Trish!

As for the extended warranty, I bought it for mine earlier in the year and Brayley Honda in Hemel set it to run straight on from when my warranty runs on on 31st of August.

I paid £250 for it but think it was a deal they were offering at the time rather than the usual price.

Is £250 good?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 AM

I for one would snap it up for that !
Old 08-03-2010, 07:26 AM

Sorry to hear about yet another engine failure, I hope it gets sorted very soon and this one is a good one .

As for the extended warranty I believe it's @ the £400 mark for a like for like to the standard 3yr one, so includes AA as well etc...
Old 08-03-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At £400 for a dealer waranty you would be mad NOT to buy into it.
That nice Mr Quentin Wilson backs a very good aftermarket policy from what I have read.
And if you cannot buy the Honda offering, that would be my choice as you can tailor the package 'extras' to suit.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

At £250 or £400 how long is that for.?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Thanks Ad

I've no progress to report on Jenson tonight.

But I did spend several minutes discussing the Honda Care Guarantee with lovely Dave of Brayley Honda in Hemel Hempstead.

Turns out the Honda extended warranty is only available on cars 3-8 years old, is for a set period (12/24/36 months) and dealer discount is usually available (so do ask).

Dawn (Stooky) was lucky enough to take advantage of a Honda UK special deal & picked up a year's warranty extension for £250 - this offer was withdrawn in March.

Current retail prices are as follows:

Honda Care Guarantee Without Honda Assist
12 months £331.82
24 months £569.64
36 months £736.96

Honda Care Guarantee With Honda Assist
12 months £399.50
24 months £705.00
36 months £940.00

P800bry, just for you, I asked about folks who had let their current warranty lapse without accepting an extension. Turns out this is not a problem.

The dealer who writes the new warranty is required to inspect the car. It is not necessary to have a service record from day 1 of the car's existence. However it must have been serviced within the last 12 months or 9,000 miles (whichever comes first) by a properly constituted company (eg VAT registered) using genuine Honda parts. Should your car have any pre-existing faults which are covered under the extended warranty, then you would need to get them resolved before the new cover could start.

I hope this helps to clarify the extended warranty. But lets be clear: I don't work for Honda so please feel free to speak with Dave direct (or your local dealer) should you wish to clarify any of the above.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bokkie I am sorry to hear the news that lightening has struck twice. I hope that you can get this sorted soon.

I have to wonder whether the s2000 warranty will be any better than the standard extended warranty though? My wife has a 56 plate Civic. Her air con / climate broke the day before my wife's scheduled service. Shatstone have serviced since new but are useless on anything unless it involves you popping your debit card in the chip n pin. They have still not got the replacement parts approved under warranty by Honda, and apparently it is not uncommon for Honda to be so lax. Oh and Shatstone had the cheek to re-charge for an air con re-gas despite the fact that it is only needed as a result of the failed part. IMO the warranty doesn't seem worth the paper it is written on.

Just another case of Honda - we don't give a damn about customers as long as you empty your wallet on the way out. Surprised they haven't sent us all an email asking if we can give them our bank details to help a Nigerian businessman!

Good news is I am off to Lloyds on Friday for a proper check over before the warranty runs out - I can hear the engine getting louder but am hoping it is just paranoia after reading on here so many problems!

So the real question before I stump up for the extended warranty (which I was going to buy until the Civic / air con experience) is has anyone actually successfully claimed under one of these warranties or should I save the annual premium and 'self insure'?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by martin j,Aug 2 2010, 10:53 PM
Oh, this could be interesting, I know what I paid on the last S, but then I worked in a Honda franchise at the time.
Every job brings it's perks I am sure you did not complain at the time! Tip wink smilie x
Old 08-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the info Bokkie, my warranty only ran out last month and was serviced by Honda in June so will be fine in getting the extended warranty, just off to put a kidney on ebay to pay for it

Quick Reply: Jenson