UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Jenson

Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Bokkie,

I've recieved your PM which i have replied to and i'm sure we could sort something out over the weekend if you want me to have a listen.

However, your noise is substantially different to mine. You could only hear the rattle from my engine when the engine was hot and at idle. At all other times the engine was quiet and ran smoothly.

I've a few comments to make relating to your post:

1. The dealer will always get you to sign a waiver saying you'll pay for the work if its not covered under warranty. That is normal, although alarming.

2. The dealer and Honda acknowledge there is a noise which is not normal. That by its very nature means there is a fault which they need to investigate and resolve. The only way they can charge you is if they find the fault has been caused by something like an over-rev which they can check before they strip the engine or if you've dropped something down the back of the engine that's stuck against the bulkhead for example. Even then, they'd struggle to charge you for a full engine strip if they miss something that simple.

3. Honda instructed my dealer to take the sump off rather than the head to check piston and bore damage, a much easier option. If they need to get to the top of the pistons they could do this with an endoscope down the spark plug holes which means they don't have to remove the head.

Personally, having been through this a number of times with both my S2000s (5 engines in 2 cars), i'd let them do the inspection but get them to acknowledge there is a fault before they start stripping the car apart.

As long as they acknowledge there is a fault, if the engine investigation finds nothing wrong they need to continue the investigation until the find the fault so still can't charge you.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vixen,Jul 28 2010, 11:09 PM
After all the sh*t you've had with the S - I can't believe they aren't showing a bit of good will and doing it for free Trish Very bad form from Honda again
110%

Do as HB suggests Trish and get hold of Gaxxy. You deserve much better than this.

Poor you and poor Jenson!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lower,Jul 29 2010, 08:56 AM
Bokkie,

I've recieved your PM which i'll reply to and i'm sure we could sort something out over the weekend if you want me to have a listen.

However, your noise is substantially different to mine. You could only hear the rattle from my engine when the engine was hot and at idle. At all other times the engine was quiet and ran smoothly.

I've a few comments to make relating to your post:

1. The dealer will always get you to sign a waiver saying you'll pay for the work if its not covered under warranty. That is normal, although alarming.

2. The dealer and Honda acknowledge there is a noise which is not normal. That by its very nature means there is a fault which they need to investigate and resolve. The only way they can charge you is if they find the fault has been caused by something like an over-rev which they can check before they strip the engine or if you've dropped something down the back of the engine that's stuck against the bulkhead for example. Even then, they'd struggle to charge you for a full engine strip if they miss something that simple.

3. Honda instructed my dealer to take the sump off rather than the head to check piston and bore damage, a much easier option. If they need to get to the top of the pistons they could do this with an endoscope down the spark plug holes which means they don't have to remove the head.

Personally, having been through this a number of times with both my S2000s (5 engines in 2 cars), i'd let them do the inspection but get them to acknowledge there is a fault before they start stripping the car apart.

As long as they acknowledge there is a fault, if the engine investigation finds nothing wrong they need to continue the investigation until the find the fault so still can't charge you.
good post

it's completely normal to be asked to sign a waiver before investigative work begins

as Rich says, the key thing is that there is an acknowledgement of a fault before they begin

about the only other thing I can think of would be to ask what could be causing the noise that wouldn't be covered by warranty

but on a new car, short of a spanner (owner's) or oil filler cap dropped down the back of the engine, I'm struggling to think what it could be

there are traps though

I remember the waiver thing when my a/c was replaced and was told that the condensor could have been stone-damaged, which wouldn't have been covered by the warranty...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stookystar,Jul 29 2010, 10:24 AM

Do as HB suggests Trish and get hold of Gaxxy. You deserve much better than this.
Now that wasn't so difficult was it Bokkie See you Monday
Old 07-29-2010, 06:00 AM

bokkie, how many miles do you have on your new engine ?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have they started making these lumps in Thailand now, or are they still under Japanese QC?

Steve.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Jul 29 2010, 04:22 PM
Have they started making these lumps in Thailand now, or are they still under Japanese QC?

Steve.
The one we had last week was Jap QC'd
Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM

Mine was in for new seat and service today and they can't hear the noise. I get straight in the car and can hear it!

Off to Garage R on the 8th so going to get Rob to listen to it.

Funnily they said they didn't know about any reported problems with short engines. Directed him to the forum!

They have said they will keep me informed if any bulletins come through.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been extremely reasonable with Honda Uk, and yet they're absolutely refusing to extend my warranty, after a number email exchanges.

Any suggestions from you guys on what to do next??
I still love the S2000 - but at this rate will be picketing Honda in Swindon....
Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Elijah,Jul 29 2010, 10:10 PM
I've been extremely reasonable with Honda Uk, and yet they're absolutely refusing to extend my warranty, after a number email exchanges.

Any suggestions from you guys on what to do next??
I still love the S2000 - but at this rate will be picketing Honda in Swindon....
BMW?

Vauxhall?

Quick Reply: Jenson