UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

JDM spec in UK?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:54 PM
KNZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM spec in UK?

Hello, first time to be in this.

I am buying Honda s2000 '99, but a little problem.

The owner put the info on his advertisement, "65K mile" in oddmeter.
I saw it 2days ago, the board is reading "900000km".
He explained that he installed the unit converting module behind the board, now the car counting by mile.
The board can not show the decreased number(by mile), so it's showing "90000km"(which is actually 85000km+5000mile according to what he told me.)

I checked it by MOT and VOSA, it is mentionning about the number written like sometimes "******* mile", sometimes "*******",,,, never seen like "******* km" on their documentation.
Also, it says "Not imported"

I am trying to trust the owner, because he is good man in the conversation.

Then, here is the question,,,
Do you think there is some UK car with JDM spec, not imported one,,, showing by km in oddmeter????

Best regards.
KNZ
Old 07-06-2014, 11:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If the odometer is showing KPH then it is an import, fact. All uk spec cars obviously had odo's on KM.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As with all purchases I would highly recommend going with your gut feeling. If you have concerns which can't be answered legitimately then I would walk away. I waited almost 3 months to find one I was happy with.

In terms of the the original question. I have never heard of an factory/genuine dealer registered UK car running in KM. The S2000 has a button bottom right of the clocks which if held for a few seconds will switch between MILES and KM. If the car is showing to be UK spec but in KM, my guess would be that someone has pressed that button then built a story around it. If you do a quick search you will find posts describing the obvious differences between a JDM/UK car.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it's probably a duck - meaning it's probably a JDM import. I think the JDM ones have different VIN plates so you might be able to tell that way.

The trouble is that if you are having problems understanding the history of the car so will any buyer in the future - you have to treat this one as an "unknown mileage" and make an offer accordingly if you really want it.

85,000km + 5K miles is really low for the year - but you've got no proof that these are even the original clocks if someone has been tinkering with conversion modules.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:22 PM
KNZ

Originally Posted by V-esi
As with all purchases I would highly recommend going with your gut feeling. If you have concerns which can't be answered legitimately then I would walk away. I waited almost 3 months to find one I was happy with.

In terms of the the original question. I have never heard of an factory/genuine dealer registered UK car running in KM. The S2000 has a button bottom right of the clocks which if held for a few seconds will switch between MILES and KM. If the car is showing to be UK spec but in KM, my guess would be that someone has pressed that button then built a story around it. If you do a quick search you will find posts describing the obvious differences between a JDM/UK car.

Thanks for your advice,
Yes, I saw it on youtube about that button.
At the same time I found this as well,,,
http://www.marklamond.co.uk/products...00-kmh-mph.htm

JDM, JDM,,,, what does this mean? I guess that is imported car from JP.
Wondering especially at the begginning of this model, around '99,,, people in UK bought new S2000 with JDM spec.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:33 PM
KNZ

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it's probably a duck - meaning it's probably a JDM import. I think the JDM ones have different VIN plates so you might be able to tell that way.

The trouble is that if you are having problems understanding the history of the car so will any buyer in the future - you have to treat this one as an "unknown mileage" and make an offer accordingly if you really want it.

85,000km + 5K miles is really low for the year - but you've got no proof that these are even the original clocks if someone has been tinkering with conversion modules.
Thanks for your help.

So JDM=Imported, isn't it??
The document is saying "1st resistration in UK; '99", and on the website it's saying "Not imported".
So, I hardly think that came from JP.

I will approach with VIN as well.

Rgds.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 PM

Technically they are all "imports from Japan" JDM = Japan Domestic Market.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:40 PM

Someone here with a similar question https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/836...-an-eu-import/
Old 07-07-2014, 12:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several things on the car that will have Japanese writing
  • The fuse box covers
  • The sunvisors
  • The service and saftey information on the bonnet (underside obviously)

It is very easy to install a JDM cluster to a UK car, it will display the mileage in KM.

The cluster is what stores the mileage, not the ECU etc.

More than likely you can see taletale signs the cluster has been removed by:
  • Plastic caps missing from the cluster cowling
  • Plastic caps or cowling showing marks from being taken off
  • Bolt head showing marks from removal

Mileage can be obviously from the wear on:
  • Steering wheel
  • Clutch, Brake and Accelerator Pedals
  • Interior panels around the driver
  • Seat bolister
  • Seatbelt
  • Floor Carpet
Old 07-07-2014, 02:50 AM
KNZ

Originally Posted by tozerman
If the odometer is showing KPH then it is an import, fact. All uk spec cars obviously had odo's on KM.
Really?? You can remember that??
If so,,, it's really good news, I would be happy.

Quick Reply: JDM spec in UK?