UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

J's ECU HELP Please

Old 05-18-2011, 01:45 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MB
OT but was that your car spotted on 5th Gear the other day? Gurston Down feaure on the Atom.
I saw that one too.

I incorrectly thought that it was Blue Monster as I couldn't remember who did the hill climbs.

So come on Mr Cornpot, was it you ?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J's ECU doesn't normally need the fuel pump grounding, it didn't on my car or Paul_Js, however the Amuse one I have ATM does and the spoons do so maybe there are different versions of te J's ones?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Some do, some don't. IIRC J's do these ECUs on an exchange basis, so I expect there are a few JDM and a few Euro ones nocking around.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/313...d-with-js-ecu/

They are also spec'd with your exact mods in mind. J's tweak each one individually, for what fuel you use etc. Always worth knowing when you buy a used one.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 AM

That's a fair point MB your right they are on exchange so there will be JDM EU and US versions, hadn't thought of that!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coolchrisuk

@Adrian, thanks for your help. Great seller and service, much appreciated.

@Chris, thanks for that, will give it a try at the weekend.

@MB, thanks for the help via pm.

I did have a Mugen one and it was plug and play which is why I thought the J's one was too but I see the early J's and the Spoon ecu's aren't. Thanks for the help folks.

Maybe I might also look at sending it off to J's and having it remapped for my specific mods. I still have all the Mugen cooling bits installed, do you guys think I should look at swapping them for the J's ones or just keep them?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats if J's still do it, i dont think it will be cheap.

TBH i dont think it will be much good and I can't see how it can work well, but at least get it on a dyno with the ECU installed for piece of mind.

I cant see them giving a brilliant well tuned map even if you get a dyno prinout due to the simple fact they dont have the car on 'their' dyno and can't alter the tables, i guess they could get round about figures but that's not safe nor best for power. Even if you went to a rolling road and got a printout with data, it would still only enable them to get a reasonable AFR level, and they wouldnt be able to alter igntion timing safely and effectively, even if you gave them some data (ie add knock sensor). Don't get me wrong I like J's they are my favourite N/A tuning company for the S2000, but with all this said i cant see how they can get a good tune IMHO without the car being there.

Tuning the car is a trial and error in essence initially, altering fuel tables etc till you get to an acceptable safe AFR level (similar with timing and vtec engagement).

There's even more variables that could effect the tune/alter the applicability.

I've had one in the past with non J's bits on and it was good, but far from perfect but to be expected due to my modifications. In the end i had a piggyback which yeilded more power as it was 'custom' tuned to my car.

If you had all the J's bits on then it would be easier, but again every car is different.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:08 PM

The only problem I have Irvatron is being out in Gibraltar, theres no one that can tune my car let alone get it on a rolling road. Nearest dyno is 1.5hrs away up in Malaga (Spain) and theres no one I would trust to tune my car with a standalone. I just thought since when you buy an ecu from J's they usually ask you what mods you're running, they might be able to alter the tune to best suit the mods I already have.

The only other option I have is buying a standalone like an AEM or Haltech and having it tuned by someone like Jeff Evans via etune. My plan was to try and eventually get the car to the UK to someone like Richard (TTS) and have it supercharged which is why I sold my Mugen ecu BUT plans have changed due to buying a flat.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:29 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think it will be fine, but I'd want to know what mods it was based on. I know a bit about how Js do these ecus and they have a selection of different maps, so while Aj is right in a way, I just look at it as a more fine tuned version of a Mugen or spoon. The tweaks they do are minor, and they still retain the oem knock control.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks everyone for the help. Spliced the fuel pump wire yesterday and ground it......hey presto no problems!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:07 PM

Back again...........just spotted this thread was still up and running.

Good to see you at gurston Loftust and yes it was me on Fith Gear but I think the whole thing was usurped by some pushy chap called Tiff and some VERY expensive Meccano. Still I enjoyed the 100th of a second exposure, and amazed at how many people saw the car. Thanks for not telling everyone I got beaten by a Mazda MX5.

Glad you got the J's going at last Andrew. I'll have it back if it doesn't work for you. I honestly think I got more out of the car with it than the AEM I've got now!!

Back to Wiscombe Park near Honiton for this weekend if any one that way should wish to be entertained.....met an owner last week but have forgotten his name.

Any one seen Matt about this year (kartopholis)?

Cheers, and thanks for all the help again.

Quick Reply: J's ECU HELP Please