UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

James May's just bought a Boxster!

Old 07-18-2005, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingo-a-go-go,Jul 18 2005, 12:32 PM
Isn't the 911 also not a drop top - that was my point - they are different sorts of cars for different sorts of people.

I don't see Geldof raising awareness for Boxster drivers if they are so poor.....
Yes theres a drop top 997 but it was never designed to be one...... the topless 911 is always heavier, slower and less agile than the coupe (as is the case with most cars that start life as coupes and end up with drop top versions..... TT, 350Z, BMW M3, even most Ferraris!).

The Boxster and S2000 were both designed from the ground up as convertibles...... the best starting point if you want to add a roof at a later date as you invariably save weight AND increase body stiffness AKA Boxster Coupe.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:39 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by wadswoaj,Jul 18 2005, 12:18 PM
Theres one in Derby:

Peter Smith Sports Cars
Station Road
Hatton
Derby
Derbyshire
DE65 5EL

Tel: 01283 813593
Fax: 01283 815491
www.petersmithsportscars.com

i'm spoilt.. there's a honda dealer about 1 mile from my house ..

I would use this one:

TMS Performance Vehicles Ltd.
Beler Way
Leicester Road
Melton Mowbray
Leicestershire
LE13 0DG

I hate going to derby, its a bloody shytehole.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:39 AM

Re the poor man statement, I'd love to be a poor man with
Old 07-18-2005, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mole,Jul 18 2005, 11:21 AM
I cant afford a 911 and if I had the money I would probably have a 997 c4s or s. Theres no shame in not being able to afford certain things. But I am more than happy with my purchase. If my budget were 27k I would of had no hesitation in buying another s2k. Looks wise I never cared for the old Boxster. The new one, 987s, in the flesh just looks so much nicer and bigger. Not going to go into slagging the s2k off as I still love the car, I would not of had two of them. Personally I think the new boxster is a superb handling and looking car.

Oh yes forgot to mention, its significantly quicker in a straight line and around corners than an s2k.
Sorry mate you misunderstand me.

A colleague at work has a brand new 987 Boxster S ( ). Its a beautiful car.

It looks the part (I'm not so sure on the overall shape), it has all the toys including the chrono pack, red calipers etc.

It is fabulous however what I meant was that if I was sitting at a set of lights in one, and a C4S was next to me, I'd feel a bit like the poor relative. Thats just me I'm afraid.

The finish of the car is far superior to the S I know, and I won't buy another S....I've done that.

Currently my S serves its purpose, and my wife fully expects it to be replaced by a Porsche ...because I want a Porsche.

I have done since I was 10.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:41 AM

And isn't the NSX also available in a Targa version.

You're missing my point, so please stop telling me stuff I knew about cars when I was 12 years old......
Old 07-18-2005, 04:42 AM

Certainly I wouldn't buy it because of the "popular negative image". That probably says more about me than the car, and I dont doubt I am probably missing out by not even test-driving one.

You have to ask yourself though - what has fostered that opinion that "it's the poor mans 911"? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Clarkson who originally said it, and even if it was it has certainly caught on. No smoke without fire?

Yes I appreciate this is a blinkered attitude. Yes I appreciate the car itself is probably capable at among the best in its class. I wouldn't buy one though, and I don't even really consider myself image conscious.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bingo-a-go-go,Jul 18 2005, 12:41 PM
And isn't the NSX also available in a Targa version.

You're missing my point, so please stop telling me stuff I knew about cars when I was 12 years old......
If that was aimed at me...... sorry mate I obviously have missed your point...... I've re-read your last few posts and still don't know what it was
Old 07-18-2005, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2,Jul 18 2005, 01:39 PM
i'm spoilt.. there's a honda dealer about 1 mile from my house ..

I would use this one:

TMS Performance Vehicles Ltd.
Beler Way
Leicester Road
Melton Mowbray
Leicestershire
LE13 0DG

I hate going to derby, its a bloody shytehole.
Easy! its a very nice place i'll have you know, i live in Hatton, half a minute away from Smithys!

Which is 10 minutes from derby, and is not a 'shytehole'!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:15 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hough,Jul 18 2005, 12:50 PM
Easy! its a very nice place i'll have you know, i live in Hatton, half a minute away from Smithys!

Which is 10 minutes from derby, and is not a 'shytehole'!
each to their own

you should take advantage and get a TVR!

saw a lovely tuscan the other day and was it fast? err.. yes.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Durzel,Jul 18 2005, 12:42 PM
Certainly I wouldn't buy it because of the "popular negative image". That probably says more about me than the car, and I dont doubt I am probably missing out by not even test-driving one.

You have to ask yourself though - what has fostered that opinion that "it's the poor mans 911"? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Clarkson who originally said it, and even if it was it has certainly caught on. No smoke without fire?

Yes I appreciate this is a blinkered attitude. Yes I appreciate the car itself is probably capable at among the best in its class. I wouldn't buy one though, and I don't even really consider myself image conscious.
Pretty much agree. We can all argue till we're blue in the face about what image a car has, but I doubt anyone will be swayed, especially if you own or desire the car being criticised.

FWIW, I think the Boxster's image is questionable (I don't like the fact that the car has an image) and the cars are as common as TTs.

None of which will bother someone who loves Boxsters

Nor should it

But it bothers me, and so I doubt I'll ever own one.

As I have proved, you can get a vastly more desirable and depreciation proof car for less than the price of the std car.

Although I suppose you could argue that a Boxster is more desirable than a Ferrari (or an NSX)

Quick Reply: James May's just bought a Boxster!