UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

James May's just bought a Boxster!

Old 07-18-2005, 03:01 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that anybody on here is doubting the fact that the new boxster s is a very good car indeed. That said it may not be everybody's cup of tea.

How much did you pay for it by the way Mole ?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To quote the other presenters...you only buy a boxter....

"because you can't afford a 911"

Still, in brown he'll never sell the thing !!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:13 AM

I am still sure we made the right decision though with or without the S2000s better performance!

Be a sports car enthusiast or like every other middle management idiot who wants a statement to show he is at the top of the game??

Hmmm I know which one I would rather be!!

As for the 911 now THATS a proper porsche!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shipley,Jul 18 2005, 12:02 PM
To quote the other presenters...you only buy a boxter....

I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of if you can't afford a 70 grand car though...
Old 07-18-2005, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mole,Jul 18 2005, 10:44 AM
I think you may be talking 986 boxster s.
Just what I was about to say...... I didn't like the old Boxster S but the new one is significantly better. Value for money is still not great mind you! there are other cars out there in the
Old 07-18-2005, 03:21 AM

[QUOTE=Shipley,Jul 18 2005, 11:02 AM] To quote the other presenters...you only buy a boxter....

Old 07-18-2005, 03:21 AM

at least they could spell "Boxster"....

don't understand the issue - the Boxster is an accomplished sportscar, reknowned for being at the top of two seater roadster's abilities.

There are plenty of reasons why you wouldn't buy a TVR - residuals, reliability etc, of which the Boxster has in spades.

Now, can't we get back to slagging off BMW's?

Oh, and if you read the article "which I didn't want to do, so eventually I settled on a few performance enhancements and a full leather interior. The colour I chose was a special order one, cocoa brown, which I have combined with silver trim and a brown hood. But I've asked for a black steering wheel.

Mr Clarkson went spare at this, saying it would be like wearing a black suit with brown shoes. I prefer to think of it as more like wearing a brown suit with a pair of black gloves, which I think is acceptable. Even so, I was on the verge of ringing the dealer and saying, "We'll have to change the interior - Jeremy doesn't like it.""

He's talking about cocoa brown leather interior....
Old 07-18-2005, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bingo-a-go-go,Jul 18 2005, 11:21 AM
He's talking about cocoa brown leather interior....
As I've said twice already
Old 07-18-2005, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by EddandSam,Jul 18 2005, 11:13 AM
I am still sure we made the right decision though with or without the S2000s better performance!

Be a sports car enthusiast or like every other middle management idiot who wants a statement to show he is at the top of the game??

Hmmm I know which one I would rather be!!

As for the 911 now THATS a proper porsche!
Tut tut

So some of us that went to the dark side aren't enthusiasts? Not everyone in a Boxster is there because of the badge (a lot are!) some of us are there because of the way it drives.

Like Mole I could have gone for a 997S but it didn't do it for me..... also I still want a drop top and no true enthusiast would buy a cabrio 911 The new Boxster S has had several reviews/track tests that place it firmly in 997 territory usually splitting the Carrera and Carrera S so you have to wonder if the extra
Old 07-18-2005, 04:02 AM

I don't think the "can't afford a 911" criticism of the Boxster is a very fair one - not of the Boxster S, anyway. And certainly not of the 987 S. Inevitably, some people do buy it just for the badge, but that doesn't detract from the abilities of the car itself.

Like it or not, the Boxster is, and has been pretty much since it was released, the "best in class" for roadsters. The 987 just reinforces that point. You may take issue with the styling and/or the cost aspects, but on an objective basis most neutral observers come to the conclusion that its the class-leader.

Personally, I've never been wholly convinced by the Push-Me-Pull-You looks, and couldn't afford a properly-specced Boxster S anyway so the argument is moot. But if I had been able to afford one......? Yes, I would probably have bought the Porker. It doesn't detract from my view of the S2000, which I maintain is right up with the best on any analysis, and arguably the best if you take VFM into account.

Quick Reply: James May's just bought a Boxster!