UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I've worried myself

Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've worried myself

I had to jack the car up on Saturday to get all four wheels off. Did the following:

1) Trolley jack under rear diff jacking point
2) Inserted two axle stands under the rear chassis (the cyclindrical parts) and lowered the jack
3) Jack front drivers side at jacking point and removed and installed the spare wheel.
4) Then I was going to put another axle stand under that part of the car but wasn't sure if was a good idea so I lowered the jack on to the spare.
5) Jacked the other side at jacking point and removed the wheel.
6) Left the car like this for an hour and whilst I got new rubber installed and then put everything back together

So in summary car should have been supported as follows:

FL : Trolley jack at jacking point
FR : Wheel (spare)
RL : Axle stand on chassis
RR : Axle stand on chassis

However, I'm now concerned that I may have twisted the chassis because when I returned I realised that the back of the car was only being supported on one of the axis stands. The other side was just hanging in the air

What's the chances that I've done any damage to the chassis? Would anybody on here know or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 AM

Paranoid, IMHO.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 AM

That's fair enough. LOL
Old 02-13-2012, 05:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's fine, bit of an awkward way of doing it but you won't have done any damage...

Imagine the chassis being as weak as that where it's own wait would deform it already, what would happen if you hit a pothole or have a bit of a bump in the road?

It just came off the axle stand because the FL was lower than FR... the chassis is nice and stiff like that
Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
It's fine, bit of an awkward way of doing it but you won't have done any damage...

Imagine the chassis being as weak as that where it's own wait would deform it already, what would happen if you hit a pothole or have a bit of a bump in the road?

It just came off the axle stand because the FL was lower than FR... the chassis is nice and stiff like that
Yeah, it was awkward and not ideal but I didn't have much time and I wasn't sure where I could put the axle stands at the front.

I live and learn.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 AM

The X bone chassis of our lovely car makes it incredibly strong and resistant to twisting. Considering it is a convertible, it has much less chassis bracing then other convertibles and to a large extent, this is down to the design.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S chassis is really stiff. i've had it up on a 2post ramp; the legs werent quite adjusted evenly and once 'seated' the car rested on 3 of the 4 pads. maybe 1/2" difference in height..
no damage done.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As long as your doors / boot / bonnet now don't have any dodgy shut lines, I think you are ok

On something like an Evo or Impreza, when you jack up one side, there's enough bend in the chassis that the door doesn't sit quite right until it's put back down!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Try jacking up one corner a bit far in any circumstances and directly the suspension travel is used up to corresponding wheel leaves the ground, the car is stiff.

I doubt you would twist the body, being a nice gentle loading just think of what happens when the car is thrown around in spins etc like at North Weald. Don't worry.

Of more concern is your health and safety jacking it up and not thinking about what you are doing. Be careful so easy to land up having the name of Jack, the car will win if it falls on your noggin.

Where in east london are you ?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 PM

Yeah, thanks for the advice, I appreciate I should be very careful, actually I am normally, that was just a bad morning. I've moved out of east London. I live in Reading now but haven't changed my name on the forum, I'm not sure that is even possible.. I grew up in Stratford and still spent some time around there at weekends. Why do you ask?

Quick Reply: I've worried myself