UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

It's starting already

Old 04-11-2005, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's starting already

Just called them to ensure that the car will be ready this evening for collection and they've told me that it has a puncture. They are going to swap the tyres around and put the backs on the fronts and vice versa and replace two of the tryes?

I ended up totaly confused! I had to explain that the rears are wider than the fronts.

He also said he was going to stick some Michelins on? Surely a Honda dealer selling a car has to put OEM tyres on.

He's just phoned again. They will be Michelins that are the same speed rating etc... Rears only. Apparently you can't get the OEM tyres here anywore. Not produced.

Now if I remember correctly that the Bridgestones are 225s but any other manufacturer has to be 245s is this correct?
Old 04-11-2005, 01:28 AM

The OEM tyres ARE still produced. You need to be explain to the dealer that the general use S02 has been discontinued but the S2000-specific variant, the ES02-JZ, is still in production and available.

The concensus of opinion is that to get the same footprint as the 225 SO2, you need a 245 in most other tyres. Toyo Proxes are used quite a bit over here (mainly for the wet weather handling though, so probably not much advantage to you! ) if you need a decent alternative.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:28 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't accept this.

Have a look through the technical faq, I'm sure the advice is to avoid mixing different tyre treads patterns as this can lead to some unpredictable handling.

I'd tell him to make it either michelins all round or S02s or you're not accepting the car.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:35 AM

To be very honest, I will never get them to sort this out properly. It's not the way things are done here. It's always a bodge. I'm just bored and resigned to the lack of understanding of any technical item in Dubai. It's all bluff and bollocks. I'll see what the Michelins are like and maybe get the fronts changed as well (at my cost).

I will take what they have, drive it carefully to the tyre place and get what I want.

Probably F1s. Had them on a previous car and liked how they broke away progressively. Will help when the missus drives it.

Btw, it would be a small price to pay to get the S2K. There are hardly any here. It' s extremely rare to have one in such good nick turn up.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:38 AM

You may struggle to find F1s to fit, Asterix. I think the GSD-2 has been discontinued, and seemingly you can't get the right size rear in the GSD-3.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:45 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Be insistent, even if you need to use a can of petrol and a rag to underscore your frustration!

The S-02s produce the sharpest turn-in and fantastic grip. They are poor at gripping in low temperatures, so the only drawback doesn't apply.

I think we have all been given that 'discontinued' gobshite, or fobbed off with Porsche tyres, so it's not just a 'Dubai' problem.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:49 AM

Just had a great chat with one of the other members here in Dubai, Arfiman1. It does seem that the OEM tyres for a 03 are not an option here.

The good thing is I won't have to worry about wet weather driving for at least another 7 months.

Thanks LL. I guess it's one of the problems of driving such a unique car.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:00 AM

Hey LL, see that is the problem - since they are only produced for the S2K, they do not bother to get them here - and if you asked them (Bridgestone) to order it they aren't very forth coming.

As Asterix said, it's just that way things work (or don't) around here!

Though mixing two types of tread isn't the best option either!

Aserix, I'll talk to my mate at Honda and see if he knows about this deal and will try and see if we can get your fronts changed as well (probably won't work - but worth a shot).

Look forward to seeing the car in the 'neighbourhood' soon!
Old 04-11-2005, 02:28 AM

Cheers, that would be much appreciated.

Still, I won't let the bastards get me down!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't you get them shipped out to you. Or would they go missing

Quick Reply: It's starting already