UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

It's an issue a day! UPDATE: VIDEO

Old 07-15-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's an issue a day! UPDATE: VIDEO

Update: Please take a listen of the video in my last post. Thanks.

This week is not going well.

You may remember me from other threads such as "where's all my oil gone?" and "what should i clean my soft top how?"

Any who, more questions;

I mentioned an idle issue before, it was like a tiny misfire on idle, not like its misfiring every cycle or even when it does its like its running lean not completely lacking fuel.

Well today it seemed to get worse, today i pulled up at home and this sound was coming i thought it was the lad down the road playing his sub but as i got out i realised it was my car. The exhaust was randomly pulsing from the exhaust, i mean a noticeable wave of pressure i could feel on my hand with an audible thud like a sub in the closed boot. Now the engine was jurking (assuming at the same time, couldn't watch the front and back).

It doesn't seem to do it when i pick the revs up from idle but that could just be it hiding as the frequency increases.

I have cleaned the IACV. Checked the MAP plug. No codes present.

Thinking re-gaping the plugs and cleaning the injectors. Any other ideas?
Old 07-15-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

If it were a plug misfire, it'd likely throw a CEL.

If it's that obvious a misfire, I'd check valve clearances/compression test.

Have you pulled the plugs for obvious signs? Also, check that they are tight as No.1 can unscrew itself.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:49 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Cat may have disintegrated.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

It could be a number of things, first is have someone with mechanical Knowledge have a listen, don't keep driving it around till you have found or being advised on the problem, since you have had the car have you had or serviced it and by that I mean a full as suggested Tappets the lot, you shouldn't re-gap the plugs, if the gaps too wide bin em, coil packs can also give your symptoms but usually throw a light, so first things to do pull the plugs and check them, while they are out do a compression test then after it's cool enough check the valve clearance's, also double check the things you have already looked at like the O ring to seal the map and all you vac lines
Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 AM

I have yet to service it, all my tools are at home and i'm away with work atm.

She drives absolutely fine, and tbh today didn't have the idle issue.

One of the coils already went and i replaced the lot with the EP3/AP2 ones (2nd hand so could still be an issue)

Cat disintegration could be a possibility, she has been smoking (according to followers) when i redline it. Its not plumes of blue its black, i always ask. My BMW (drifto machine) did this actually (much worse) and that was it excreting the cat.

I understand your point of seeing a mechanically knowledgeable person, but i dont see them suggesting anymore then you guys would, probably less if they have never had an s2k. I could take it to a mechanic but they will just do they same things i will. I'm very much DIY.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Could a leak in the exhaust/manifold cause this? I'm sure I saw something very similar on a previous car, thought it was something terminal but turned out air was getting into the system before the lambda sensor which threw the readings off a bit. You'd only get that at low RPMs/idle I believe.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:42 PM

I did wonder if i had a hole somewhere, when i get home i will get it up on a lift at my mates garage and have a nosey.

Cheers for all the help guys, really appreciate it!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:33 AM

Update to the idle issue.

Yesterday i pulled the PCV and, even thought it seemed pretty clean and working, i cleaned it.

I also pulled all the spark plugs out and gave them a good looking at, didnt seem to be anything wrong with them, need to check the gaps once i have my feeler gauge. Here are some pics;

I also checked all the plugs to sensors and took the map sensor off, all seemed clean and the o-ring was fine.

This has made no change to the problem. I took a video of the exhaust, the sound quality isnt great but you can hear it "lump" every so often.

[media]http://vid670.photobucket.com/albums/vv62/tonyday90/WP_20140719_020.mp4[/media]
Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

might be the camera angle but that first pic the crush washer doesn't looked - err crushed. are all the plugs torqued enough ~20 ft/lbs ?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 AM

I have no idea whether they were before, but they are now.

Quick Reply: It's an issue a day! UPDATE: VIDEO