UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Intermittent Won't Start Problem

Old 08-18-2005, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Won't Start Problem

For the second time in 4 weeks I've walked out to my car for the first time in the day to drive to work and it won't start.

The facts:
- Unlock car - OK
- Put key in key barrel on steering column - OK
- Turn key - Green "Immobiliser" Light on dash flashes/clicking of a relay is heard from somewhere in the driver's side footwell/no fuel system priming "whirring" noise can be heard- oh-oh that's not right!!
- Press Start Button - nothing - oh-oh!!!!!!
- Spend two hours checking all the connections (e.g. lock and unlock the car to start all over again/try the spare key/immobiliser receiver connection in key barrel checked/immobiliser connections in engine bay checked/fuel system reset button depressed/much frowning and scratching of head = not a ounce of difference - still won't start.
- Lock it, leave it for an hour to have a cuppa, worry about how much this going cost.
- Go back to it and try again and everything happens as normal and damn engine starts. All system OK thereafter even when I switch it off and on again a couple of times.

It's currently with Honda who surprise-surprise "Can't find a problem with it Sir", because obviously it's one of those niggling intermittent problems.

Anyone had any experience of this?

My money's on it being the receiver on the key barrel. Any thoughts/comments welcome.

Cheers.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:18 AM

Your battery is about to die IMHO.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:21 AM

P.O.S Honda UK alarm system IMO. If you get the green key then it's likely that the key immobiliser is ok.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:44 AM

Green key is always a good sign.

My Corrado did the same thing and turned out to be a faulty feed from ignition switch to starter motor. Couldnt be arsed getting it fixed as it was intermittant..... just used to turn the key repeatedly until it fired. If that didn't work it was the old wire to the starter motor and touch the battery, which may I say nearly killed me one day but thats another story altogether...... just make sure ure out of gear first
Old 08-18-2005, 04:48 AM

Sounds very similar to the fuel relay problem the crx del sol's suffer from to me, that is usually when they are hot though, but could be bad soldering in the relay somewhere and be 100% intermittant ??
Old 08-18-2005, 05:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Aug 18 2005, 01:21 PM
If you get the green key then it's likely that the key immobiliser is ok.
When my immobiliser circuit burnt out, I was still getting the green key (intermittently), so it's not that reliable an indicator of an okay circuit.

As previously posted, some of the immobiliser and alarms retro-fitted by Hamilton & Palmer on behalf of Honda UK to pre-MY04 cars were known to be faulty and can be replaced (as mine was) under warranty.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:09 AM

Thanks for your comments so far.

I got the car back from Honda after they'd had it for one and a half days. They couldn't replicate the problem however using the diagnostic gadget, they noted a lack of communication between the immobiliser key chip detector in the key barrel on the steering column (as I had predicted) and the immobiliser itself. It will cost me
Old 08-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Aug 18 2005, 02:22 PM
When my immobiliser circuit burnt out, I was still getting the green key (intermittently), so it's not that reliable an indicator of an okay circuit.

As previously posted, some of the immobiliser and alarms retro-fitted by Hamilton & Palmer on behalf of Honda UK to pre-MY04 cars were known to be faulty and can be replaced (as mine was) under warranty.
sounds like the same prob i had when stuck at Newbury Races (there's a clue to a search )