UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Intakes

Old 03-09-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intakes

So I'm currently debating upgrading (if it is actually an upgrade) the intake on my car. I know there are some common ones like the K&N FIPK (not sure why they are calling them that instead of induction kit like they used to), the AEM intake and adding carbon snorkels to the standard airbox.

The reason I am thinking of doing this is that I unashamingly like the sound the car makes with the standard air box lid off, but I do notice that you lose some mid range power particularly to the point I've put the lid back on. Missing the noise now though!

Therefore I'd like to know which of the kits sound good, which add power or more likely don't lose power and if any of you have ran different ones and have a preference. There was a thread on here earlier about a guy that had bought a copy of the aem kit on ebay and was raving about it, I was taking on board what he said until I saw he couldn't spell definitely. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No intake will make more than 2-3hp gains ... so go for one that sounds good.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Most sound good, none add power, some defiantly lose power due to heatsoak

Old 03-09-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
Most sound good, none add power, some defiantly lose power due to heatsoak
Oh yes, defiantly!
Old 03-09-2015, 01:23 PM

This wasn't me personally but a good friend tested stock against Aem, passwordjdm and custom 3.5inch(can't remember length) All tuned on the same day within a few hours on same car.

Can't remember all the numbers but the stock was worst, custom best with between 7-9 bhp increase throughout. Think Aem was marginally better than stock and password marginally better than Aem.

Take from that what you will

Cherrio!
Old 03-09-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Theres a youtube video of a comparison test, can't rememberwho it was, somone will be along.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rnibleck
Can't remember all the numbers but the stock was worst, custom best with between 7-9 bhp increase throughout. Think Aem was marginally better than stock and password marginally better than Aem.

Take from that what you will
Dyno results from intakes have to be taken with a big pinch of salt as the cars are always run with their bonnets up and big fans pointing into the engine bay.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:47 PM

Bonnet was down, tried to get conditions as close to Hill climbing as is possible on dyno. He doesn't have the car anymore but may still have all the data including the various air pressures/speeds. I'll ask him if I remember next time I see him.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:11 PM

the below is copied from another thread i posted in a while ago. i now have my FIPK on and for sound alone its worth it 100%, it just snarls at WOT. Butt dyno did seem to feel a slight bump in power at VTEC crossover, hey sayers say what you will, placebo effect maybe, but it was there!.... would not want to go back to the standard box and filter now

Originally Posted by tangoray
The K&N FIPK makes power....there's no way everyone who installs one who actually goes and posts their Dyno results can all be wrong. All have pretty much the same consistent results

mines in the post btw and will be here next week.....also there's one in the for sale section at a nice price

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/525...-dyno-results/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/681...ts-comparison/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnyWA6s_UAI
Old 03-09-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm an advocate of the PRM Intake.

Plenty of chat already on the forum about it, check out this thread and my post with a couple of YouTube clips:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/934..._fromsearch__1

You cant go wrong with a K&N or PRM really. To help with the sound, many (including me) take out the sound insulation from under the bonnet.

Quick Reply: Intakes