UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance for test drivers

Old 03-11-2002, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance for test drivers

Another question! Can anyone out there tell me if it is true that you can only organise 3rd party insurance for someone who wants to test drive a car that you're selling? (The only car I've sold was a 1980 Civic to my sister-in-law in Australia).
Old 03-11-2002, 05:41 AM

All the cars I've ever sold, I've relied on good luck that the guy test driving it didn't crash!

I've also been on the other end.....

...I drove 100's of miles to look at a
Old 03-11-2002, 05:46 AM

I suppose you could just take the person in question to a large carpark. Less of a chance they will damage your pride and joy and you can assess whether or not you think they are trustworthy enough to drive it on the road.

Pen
Old 03-11-2002, 06:59 AM

When they ask for a test drive, I usually get them to agree that if they break it, they buy it
Old 03-11-2002, 07:41 AM

I am sure that this is an area of the law most people consider grey. But the fact is that anyone who expects to drive your car needs to be fully insured. The possibilities are not worth contemplating. My rule of thumb has always been, prove to me you are insured to drive third party, and then get them to sign a document agreeing that if they crash, they pay. But get it witnessed by a third party. I also weed out those who just look like they want a free ride from those who look serious.

The easiest way to avoid undesirables is to tell them to drive one at the garage, you will take them for a good test drive, simulate most of what they want, and that they get it checked out thoroughly by a mechnaic before buying.

Nick.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:44 AM

Chaps,

Under no circumstances should you allow anybody to drive your car without insurance.

A piece of paper which provides an indemnity in respect of the damage should the driver crash will probably not suffice. I reckon the driver could argue that the contract was illegal and contrary to public policy, therefore unenforceable.

Even if you were successful you would have the problem of recovering the judgment sum, and not many people are good for that sort of cash. This is quite apart from the damages that the third party driver would also be seeking.

Tell prospective purchasers that you want to see a cover note to prove that they are insured to drive another person's car with their consent. If they don't have it, don't let them drive!

Froddy