UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance Question

Old 02-23-2010, 05:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cheggers,Feb 23 2010, 12:34 PM
Well, the shop (here) are approved repairers for most insurance companies. Before I knew that though I'd already had some glowing recommendations for them in work.

I got 4 different quotes before I visited their shop (all of them had 'approved repairer' signs) and TBH I was v. impressed by their set-up compared to the others (made them look amateur). Saw a few cars that they had repaired and were awaiting collection and they looked like they hadn't had any damage done at all!
all sounds good. Fingers crossed they do a good job for you.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Afty,Feb 23 2010, 01:37 PM
+1 for this idea.

Some moons ago before I acquired the S, I was involved in a corner-corner affair, needed a new wing, wishbone etc.

The car went into the "approved" shop, I finally got to pick it up 17 days later, at 6pm only the receptions and security guard left at the building. It was in the carpark, pointing down the driveway to the road - I started it, drove off, got to the road, rotated steering wheel left, and she started to respond, then I felt no feedback at all on the steering wheel, and the car shot straight out across the road into the path of an oncoming lorry - luckily the driver of it was alert.

Apparently something hadn't been secured right on the rack & pinion setup, and it just sheered right off leaving me with no steering at all.

When I mentioned to the security guard that my car nearly killed me, and was currently blocking the main road outside he said "what do you want me to do about it, I just work here" - when I suggested (for the first of two times) that he call his boss and let him know what just happened he said "hmm, could do, but he doesn't really like being called out of hours. Can you not just drive it home and call tomorrow morning". Somehow I didn't go off the rails... barely... he did make the call very shortly afterwards.
Mimics my own experience exactly.

The first local shop I got involved with who my insurers directed me to use was Ian Brown in Weston Super Mare.
Possibly the WORST quality of workmanship I have ever experienced. Avoid.

Many of the faults didnt come to light for some months later, and I fixed most at my own expense through necessity and lack of confidence.
But taking the car out of the compound and finding the steering about 30degrees out was the first indication...

I agree with Lower, there are some perfectly good approved shops, as I said Brin Jones in Filton being one major unit.

What I was saying is that don't blindly use them because your or any other insurers mouthpiece says you should.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:49 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Here's the insurer's perspective of "approved".

An insurer, and a motor insuer in particular, wants to keep its claims costs under control, and offer a good, simple service to their customers in order to retain them.

In the old days, if you had a claim, you'd have to trawl around 3 different repairers, get them to assess the damage and provide a quote.

You'd then send these off to your insurer who would approve the claim once an assessor had agreed with the pricing, or send out an assessor if things looked dodgy in any way.

All this took ages, and there was a fair bit of sharp practice overinflating claims and so on.

Nowadays, you can take your car to an "approved" repairer who will provide you with a guaranteed courstesy car (provided you've ticked the box on your proposal form) and you can leave the car with them for a few days and it'll be repaired. Nice and simple in theory.

Insurers benefit as a "good service" will retain customers. They also now have computer/video/photography systems set up with their approved centres meaning that costs can be quickly agreed upon and work can be approved.

The repairers benefit as they have a guaranteed flow of business and easier budgetting.

Of course, there will be shoddy work carried out by approved and non-approved repairers. I've had both of my front wings repaired by different repairers, one is very good, the other not very good.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Feb 23 2010, 03:49 PM
Insurers benefit as a "good service" will retain customers.
Nah.

Very few people stay with the same insurer these days.

So that alone negates much of that argument.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:29 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

You'd be surprised how many people don't shop around for their insurance.

But hey, insurance analysis is only part of my job, so what do I know...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Insurers benefit because the bodyshop provides the courtesy car as part of the service and they also have a pre-approved set of rates for the work.

Insurers even negotiate bulk paint and part prices with suppliers that the approved repairer has to use.