UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance Question

Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insurance Question

I was rear ended <insert gash joke> a few days ago as the person behind me decided that when traffic lights go amber you should speed up, whereas I tend to slow down.

They admitted liability however they wanted to pay for the damage privately. Damage looks fairly minimal however upon taking it to a few spray shops they have all said I need a new rear bumper, numberplate surround and exhaust (one of the tips is slightly bent) all in all its about £800-900 worth of damage (excluding exhaust). Needless to say we are now going through the insurance route.

My question is whether or not the repair garage have to replace like for like? I quite fancy taking this opportunity to get a newer shape bumper and exhaust system off someone elses insurance.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go through insurance then its like for like. You may be able to get around this if you go privately.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:16 AM

Ah, thought that was the case. Oh well, will have to put up with the 'Old Skool' look.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Well, it depends how you wish to proceed.

Presumably, you are using your insurer to claim the cost of repairs from the guy who hit you, and/or his insurers.

Usually, your insurer will guide you towards their "approved repairer" who will carry out the work.

However, you can choose to have the repairs carried out by a repairer of your choice. All you have to do it submit a quote (or 3 quotes) for the cost of the repairs to your insurer, who will then send you a cheque. Ask your insurer what their procedure is for having the repairs carried out at a repairer of your choice.

You can then use that cheque to pay for the repairs to be carried out however you like.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:51 AM

Well I've contacted his insurance company directly and now I'm waiting to hear back from them with regards to the preferred repairers. When they contact me again I will be sure to ask them for their procedure for getting it repaired at a place of my choice. Cheers for that
Old 02-21-2010, 06:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cheggers,Feb 21 2010, 02:51 PM
Well I've contacted his insurance company directly and now I'm waiting to hear back from them with regards to the preferred repairers. When they contact me again I will be sure to ask them for their procedure for getting it repaired at a place of my choice. Cheers for that
Do not,

Repeat,

Do not,

Use anyone elses 'approved' or 'preferred' repairer.

They only win that title by being the most cost efficient, and that rarely goes in hand with most talented.
I speak from a good degree of experience.

Damaged exhaust can be hiding a myriad of more serious and expensive damged parts. Such as manifolds and catalysers.
Sounds like a light bang in the boot, but even oem exhausts are massively expensive.

You need to be sure you don't miss anything, once its signed off it's too late.

Always source your own bodyshop which you have a legal right to do.
They may ask your for a couple of extra quotes to ensure you are not scamming them, which is fair enough.

Sorry I wont reccomend you a shop directly, my brother in law runs a Land Rover mechanic shop, and my body shop pal no longer lives in the area to advise.
But I still hear good things of Rodgman & Williams...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

private repair; been there, done it - go with insurance.

i had the repair done (a scuff repair) by chips-away - fairly good as i've seen their work before with a business contract, and they are reputable company.

however, 1.5yrs later, the paint appears to be starting to bubble in the repaired area and since im unable to find any references to even a rough date, its looking like im going to have to eventually pay for it out of my own pocket.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:59 AM

Rodgman & Williams have already been recommended to me however I didn't get a quote off them the other day, will do though next week.

I didn't realise that I had a legal right to source my own shop! I'd rather take some time and get quotes from reputable spray shops and get ot done by them rather than have a half-arsed job done by their approved bodyshop.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:59 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

By all means claim from the rear-ender's insurance, but use your preferred bodyshop to do the work. They should provide a guarantee.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with the above comments the 'approved' or 'preferred' repairer is normally the one that costs the insurance company the least amount. IE: they put in the best contract bid or in the past have saved the insurers the most money.

Quick Reply: Insurance Question