UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance Legal Opinion

Old 07-12-2006, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Insurance Legal Opinion

The other day I parked my car in a legitimate space at work and clearly within the confines of the lines. The car in the adjacent space pulled out and turned too tight clipping my front with his rear quarter doing the following damage:

(you can see my car is unmoved and it was that red car that did it (he then re-parked)

Obviously this is a clear case that I was not at fault as the car was parked legally and I was not attending. The red car is a Council lease car and the owner is processing an insurance claim for the damage to both cars through the Council's insurance and has accepted full liability. I should interject and point out that I take the car up north in a week for two weeks holiday whereby my enjoyment of the car is a key component of that holiday. It's fair to say that the timing is pretty awful given that I'm unlikely to get it repaired in time and will have to live with its 'less than perfect' looks. You're reading about a rather f******ked off saxo-boy.

It gets better!!

In order to process the claim the Council
Old 07-12-2006, 09:32 AM

Ask them why your own insurance details are relevant, since you have no intention of making a claim under your policy. All that's relevant is that their insured is at fault and has caused damage to your vehicle. It matters not one jot who you insure with so tell them where to go.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:42 AM

My Insurance is not affected at all by some idiot nearly writing my car off and a bill for best part of
Old 07-12-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad to see it damaged, that looks like a new wing to me
Old 07-12-2006, 09:55 AM

that sucks mate. hope it gets sorted in time for your holiday.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:44 AM

I'm told the council will not process the claim without my details!! Looks like this is going to end in yet another fight with a company/authority/body/person [delete as applicable] I always win but it becomes tiresome
Old 07-12-2006, 11:49 AM

Let them know your details, however in writing and state that you are not giving them permission to contact your insurer as this is not relevant to the 3rd party claim.

Do you have legal cover at all ??

Mine is totally seperate from my insurance, worth giving them a go ??
Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 PM

The less scrupulous insurance companies do bump up the premium for no fault claims and windscreens. I never use an insurance company that tries to pull this scam.

I'm not sure how a scratch on my car would ruin my holiday, I think you're going a bit OTT there!

Bad luck, at least you don't have to fork out yourself for the damage, which is the usual result of these car park dings.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:27 PM

I'm not sure how a scratch on my car would ruin my holiday, I think you're going a bit OTT there!
It's amazing how many people don't get how this can affect some people. I find it embarrassing to drive a nice looking sports car with an obvious defect. I also feel similar when I drive it dirty and feel like everyone thinks, 'look at that idiot with the nice car that he doesn't even keep clean!' - I know it
Old 07-12-2006, 12:28 PM

Besides, if I was amuse-boy a single swirl mark would ruin my year

Quick Reply: Insurance Legal Opinion