UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance friendly S2k's?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance friendly S2k's?

Hi folks,

I'm looking into future cars and pretty hopeful for an S or a 350Z at some point. I would be looking to spend around £7-8k (on an S, a 350Z would be more) and would preferably want one around 02 or later.

I was initially put off by all the death trap stories but after some research I think geo and some good tyres coupled with driver training and sensible driving would avoid that.

Now insurance is all that is stopping me just now really, I can get insured for around £1100 - I'm 23, SDPC&B and unfortunately have a crash and associated 6 CD points from 2007. The main pain is I can insure a 350Z for £700 or a 2.7 Boxster for £900! Seems the S really isn't loved by insurers.

Anyway, are there any types of S which are more insurance friendly? Eg - later models, ones with alarms/TC, GT models? Really would like to drop it below a grand.

Cheers,
Old 08-01-2010, 12:26 PM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess an older one would be cheaper to insure due to the value.
Adding things like Traction Control and a Tracking device should help to reduce premium as will naming a trustworthy lady driver on your policy.

Check your messages, you have a PM.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by LTB,Aug 1 2010, 09:26 PM
Adding things like Traction Control and a Tracking device should help to reduce premium as will naming a trustworthy lady driver on your policy.
FYI - My insurance company, Bell, quoted an increase of £25 for the addition of aftermarket traction control. I would've thought it'd decrease the premium but it's still classed as a modification, apparently.

Probably better off going for a later model with VSA as standard [if you want traction control], but then again the car as a whole would be valued higher, thus pushing the overall insurance premium up...
Old 08-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Death trap stories are hear-say. They aren't anything like that in my experience
Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 PM

I've added two female drivers to the policy already in my initial quote. Neither with any bumps or points.

The only other thing I was considering was multicar policies as my girlfriend and I share her 09 Fiesta ZS and then my car (currently EK9 Civic Type R). Would multicar work for only two cars - neither with much NCB (I'll hopefully have 2 and she only has 1)?

EDIT: Tried the multicar online with Admiral and it just seems to echo the same price, about £1100 as before. Back to the drawing board!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB,Aug 1 2010, 12:26 PM
Just wondered, my insurence isn't up till November. I have my wife in the policy and was considering dropping her off as she is too scared to drive the S, how does keeping her on help?
Also I'm considering the race logic TC, I guess from a previous post insurance Co.s vary as to if this helps or hinders do you know what ones it helps?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by chet,Aug 1 2010, 09:31 PM
FYI - My insurance company, Bell, quoted an increase of £25 for the addition of aftermarket traction control. I would've thought it'd decrease the premium but it's still classed as a modification, apparently.
Unfortunately most insurancd companies don't know their arse from their elbow.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:34 PM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richmc,Aug 2 2010, 06:59 AM
Just wondered, my insurence isn't up till November. I have my wife in the policy and was considering dropping her off as she is too scared to drive the S, how does keeping her on help?
Insurers make generalisations and they tend to class female drivers as less of a risk. The statistics no doubt back this up.

For that reason they tend to quote lower when a named female driver is on the policy.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Si2k,Aug 1 2010, 10:35 PM
Death trap stories are hear-say. They aren't anything like that in my experience
But Si, the insurance companies have good reason to believe otherwise?

To OP: If I could run the Porsche for less then I wouldnt even look at the Honda.
At least not for a while.
350Z is a decent drive, but a droptop looks a mess.

Have you looked at Z3 or Z4 as a comparison?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:17 AM

Im 24 and have 6 years no claims and the lowest i can get is £1300, id bite their hand off for £1100 if you do have a s

Quick Reply: Insurance friendly S2k's?