UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance conundrum

Old 08-27-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance conundrum

Ok this is a what would you do scenario... A brief summary. Had a little mishap in the S (non-fault but third party contesting - B4stards!!). Anyway, amongst other things the rear offside wheel struck the kerb causing a fair bit of damage to the oily bits underneath (new hub, new wheel, susp arm etc). All this has been replaced but the OSF wheel also hit the kerb but not nearly as hard but still bad enough to knock the steering out (steering wheel was at 45 deg to the straight ahead) and scuff the alloy. Again this has been rectified during the repair.

So everything is fixed and the garage have done and I quote a "full 4 wheel alignment check" to make sure everthing is tickety boo. However, due to a seized bolt (castor adjustment??) on either side at the front they can't adjust if necessary without running the risk of fooking the bush which would mean new components and we all know how pricey they are!! With me so far?? The garage have queried this with the ins co but they (ins co) will not authorise anymore work on the front end that could possibly increase the repair bill because and I quote again "the insurance assessor does not believe this has been caused by the accident".

Now they've got a point I suppose but I had a blazing row with some dizzy blonde on the phone on friday. My stance was basically, suspension is a safety critical component, it has been damaged due to an accident and I expect it to be checked and adjusted if necessary. If additional components need to be changed to enable this to be completed then it needs to happen at their (ins co) cost! Obviously I have an alterior (sp??) motive here to get some new bits out of it but I think it's a plausible argument...... What do you lot think? Am I being a finnicky cock about it?

The damage to the car is pretty minor tbh just bolt on / bolt off stuff and some paintwork but I won't be happy unless it's 100% spot on. It is my P&J afterall......
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I think you're absolutely correct - although their bit about it not being caused by the accident is also right. Tough one.

Of course, knowing that you have an alterior motive, kinda throws any argument you might have out of the window completely. Had you not had this motive I would ask:

Is the Castor within tolerance of the Honda "optimum" settings?

Honda UK Technical's advice would be interesting
Old 08-27-2007, 11:45 AM

AE, thanks for that. Some good advice. Dunno why I didn't think of it tbh.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:58 PM

The seized bolts is considered a maintenance issue and not covered by the insurance.

As for replacing ancillary parts unaffected by the accident (albeit theyre a factor in putting the car straight again)...

Look at it in another context: imagine you had a seized window mechanism and the window hadn't gone up/down for years. Somebody comes along a breaks the glass which is covered under your insurance. Would it be on to expect them to pay for the whole window mechanism in order to replace your glass? Not sure it would.....

I think at best, if you want them to put the alignment right, they'll turn to you for payment for any work over and above a routine job. Lets face it, if the bolts are seized they need sorting.

HTH
Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Question for the insurance assessor:

Could the non adjustable/out of spec steering geometry have been a contributory cause to the accident?

You can run this independently from/in parallel with Honda Uk's technical advice
Old 08-28-2007, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by arsie,Aug 27 2007, 02:37 PM
Question for the insurance assessor:

Could the non adjustable/out of spec steering geometry have been a contributory cause to the accident?

You can run this independently from/in parallel with Honda Uk's technical advice
Arsie, not sure what you mean tbh. I got side swiped by another car so nothing to do with any possible geometry issues.

I'm definately on a hiding to nothing but anythings worth a try if I have a good enough argument - sadly I don't think I do. Therefore, the best course of action is probably to heed AE's advice and request a statement that the front camber is within tolerance and take it from there.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Think you're streching it a bit - a well-known S2000 corrosion issue being covered by accident repairs.

Ok, with a damaged exhaust, it probably would be replaced if bent in a shunt, but they ins. could make you contribute towards the cost! Ditto tyres.

Something as expensive & obviously NOT damaged as castor adjusters, NFW.

If the wishbone had broken, you'd be fine.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Ulterior".

Seems to me that the insurance appointed repairers can't do the work, so I would insist on getting it done elsewhere. Then go see CofG (yes him again). Maybe the insurance company would cover the cost of the alignment and you'd have to cover the extra cost involved in sorting out the bushes, but that'll be better than nothing. And assuming you want it to be right, you're going to have to deal with those seized bushes at some point anyway.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TBH I don't think you've got a hope in hells!
Those castor adjusters were seized well before the incident
They will argue that is not their responsiblity and as others have pointed out it is a maintenance item.
IMHO your best bet is to free issue them the ncessary parts and do a deal on the labour to fit.
That way you will get back a car you are happy to drive
Old 08-28-2007, 03:52 AM
Jel

Insurance protection should put you back in the same position you were in pre accident (seized bushes and all). You are after betterment which is neither reasonable nor likely in a squillion years.

Contractually they are could replace/spray your panels then finish them off with stone chips, swirls marks and parking dents...

Quick Reply: Insurance conundrum