UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance Comparison Thread Four

Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PiSoft
Hi,
Anyone has info on the effect of not being british national on insurance quotes? I live here for 5 years and have 4 years no claim, clean and full UK driving licence, I am 33 and from a EU country. I just bought my first S2000 (03 reg, no modification) and Admiral charged me an extra £178 for the remaining 4 months till renewal... Original premium was about £500 a year. I don't know exactly as I changed cars this year a few times. Original quote was for an MX5 also no mods.
Seeing these quotes you are mentioning in the forum I feel been ripped by Admiral... I tried to negotiate over the phone but been informed in a polite way that there is no negotiation in my case.
As in the beginning of this post, does anyone have any suggestion/info on it?
Thanks for any replies.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk 2

I'm from NL and have been living in the UK for 4yrs now.

I'm not sure whether it'll have an influence on the quotes you get, it's just that some insurance companies won't have you until you've been resident for x amount of years. Privilege insured me straight away when I moved here, but some others won't.

If I were you I'd just try the brokers like Sky, Flux or the one I've just saved a lot of money through is called Bridle.

Sky wouldn't insure me because I haven't been here for 5yrs yet but shouldn't be a problem for you.

Regarding you being ripped off or not, there really is no point comparing to other peoples insurance premiums, it makes a big big difference where you live and what you do for a living etc, it's not just based on how long you have your license for and your NCB.

For example I now pay 740 living near London, I could move to some nice little town somewhere safe and pay half of what I pay now. Or I could change jobs and pay double.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply!
That makes sense what you wrote.
My renewal is only due next february, I won't move till then... However I will make sure this year to do a proper shop around! I can save hundreds (hopefully) if I dedicate a day to this matter!
Thanks again for your suggestions!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

AHEM!,

Fully comp, protected NCB,£340(compulsory) excess, courtesy car, free legal, uninsured cover, full medical, Doris included, and a free Meerkat........................................... ...............

£222.12 with AXA.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:19 PM

That's what I cannot understand fully. I accept that I am charged a bit more as I am 'more risk' to the insurance company. This is b.....it but possible to understand. However charging 4-5 times is over my understanding. And I live in Poole, quiet and relaxed area. I stop crying and do the homework when the cover will be about renewal!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 PM

You might live in poole but you also live in the UK, where it's perfectly normal and accepted to be royally screwed over with you not being able to do anything about it.

Welcome
Old 10-25-2012, 12:19 AM

Getting prices for my renewal in Nov.

31 - 6years NCB Protected - 3 points CU80 - No claims - Full Comp Quotes

Mods Declaired - Exhaust, Manifold, ECU, Induction

Brentacre - £699 - 350 excess
Sky (Renewal) - £797 - 350 excess
Chris Knott - £635 - 500 excess
Henderson & Taylor - £1000
Classicline Insurance - £480 (Classic 7.5k mile policy) - 350 excess
Livingstons Warman - £800

So far...
Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 AM

Try Bridle insurance
Old 10-29-2012, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just renewed with Sky Insurance for the second year running & as last year a pleasure to deal with.

I spoke to "Alex" & although we had some negotiations on the price where they honoured a price match with another competitor who features on here as a preferred, overall I couldn't fault them at all.

Prior to my renewal date they sent me letters reminding me & even dropped me a courtesy call; nothing like some previous insurers where if you don't contact them they simply take your money at your renewal date.

Fortunately at this point (fingers crossed touching wood) I've never had to make a claim so can't comment on them from that point of view, however in terms of price, knowledge of the car & overall experience in dealing with I would highly recommend them.

Cheers again Sky & thank you Alex.

Brent
Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 AM

I'm looking to become an owner again and my insurance is still ridiculous.

27, 8 years NCB, parked on drive, IG3 postcode

Cheapest is £1600 with Sainsburys.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
[

Regarding you being ripped off or not, there really is no point comparing to other peoples insurance premiums, it makes a big big difference where you live and what you do for a living etc, it's not just based on how long you have your license for and your NCB.
I quite agree, these threads are useful to a point so you can see which companies your fellow members are using but comparing price doesn't really work, insurance is tailored to the individual risk presented. There was similar thread on the TT forum(?) recently where one particular chap kept posting saying everyone was getting ripped off when comparing to the price he paid, it turns out his highly modified car was insured with a company that didn't cater for modifcations

Quick Reply: Insurance Comparison Thread Four