UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance Claim?

Old 10-08-2003, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Claim?

Well I suppose it had to happen sometime, clipped a kerb off a roundabout which propelled me to the other side of the road, hit other kerb and grass verge(luckily no other cars involved). Drivers side wheel and arch f*cked, passenger side wheel completely f*cked and I suspect mechanical damage to boot!

Having never made a claim before, will I lose all my NCB? Considering the excess and increased insurance premium for next, is it worth enquiring about sorting it without the insurance company?

Replies appreciated, this only happened about half an hour ago and I doubt i'll sleep until I get it sorted in my head!!

cheers

Alistair
Old 10-08-2003, 12:35 PM

$hit mate feel for you. Glad no one was hurt in the off.

Depends how much it's going to cost to fix. Set yourself a limit then get some quotes. If they fall within the limit pay out of your own pocket, otherwise I guess the insurance man will be spanking you come renewal time :-(
Old 10-08-2003, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Bad luck. Glad you are OK though. This is always a risk with a car you enjoy driving briskly.

As a general rule you will lose a year's no claims - not the lot.

Unfortunately that doesn't mean the insurance company won't bump up your premium unfairly before they apply what's left of your no-claims come renewal time. No way of predicting that one of course.

It's always worth checking out the cost of repairs yourself, but by the sound of it this will be pricey and likely to be much more than your next premium increase.

The easiest way to reduce repair costs is to use second hand parts. That's how so many people put 'write-offs' back on the road. The quoted repair cost to an insurer will only include new parts at manufacturer's list. Risks associated with secondhand parts of course.

Best get some sleep and deal with it in the morning. Staying awake isn't going to change anything, only make you scratchy and irrational tomorrow.

Don't delay claiming indefinitely. It might be an idea to let your insurer know what you are doing and that you are considering a claim, although some people may feel this will be held against you. In my experience it won't be held against you if it is a no-claim accident. It might be though if you have an accident and fix it yourself without telling them, because come renewal you will be lying if you say "no" to the question "any accidents in the last 5 years?".

HTH and you feel better.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:08 PM

Sorry to hear the bad news, Alistair

Check with your insurer - not all take away all your NCB the moment you make a claim. Some offer a staggered system, where you lose so many years per claim.

I had to claim after a prang last year which cost around
Old 10-08-2003, 02:10 PM

Bad luck matey.

I made a massive claim i.e whole new car! this year. Lost all my NCB, I only had 2 yrs, so they all went. Goodness knows what my renewal will be like. Already getting quotes, pretty much has doubled my insurance costs.

Honda's are extremely expensive to fix, and you will want to get it right. So make sure if you do claim or get it fixed yourself, dependant on costs, that it is done at a Honda Approved body shop, so that it will not affect the warrantee on the car.

Good luck, I feel for you, too many bad memories. If you need any help gives us a shout.

G

G
Old 10-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry to hear your mishap alistair - hope all sorts itself out - like everyone said good to know no-one was hurt
Old 10-08-2003, 02:36 PM

Sorry to hear about your prang, fortunately you didnt hit anything or anyone. Hopefully you'll be able to sort it out quickly.

I lost two years for mine with the Admiral group (inc Bell and Elephant).

On the advice of the insurer, I sent the car to their approved repairers who arent a Honda dealer. This is the only way to get a courtesy car. If you can live without a courtesy car, then ignore them and send it to a Honda dealer who will hopefully not funk you about.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:42 AM

The thing that annoys me the most is losing 2 years NCB, which might force me to change the car come renewal time next year!
Old 10-09-2003, 02:33 AM

Sorry to hear about this, mate.
I have paid very little more to get my NCB protected - as I understand it a single claim in a period won't alter the amount you pay at all, unless you make successive claims.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If its any consellation, you weren`t first.

Now on the winter 2003 rating we have:

1. Putney
2. Ahurst.

She`ll be right as rain in no time, you ask Markie T.

Quick Reply: Insurance Claim?