UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance?

Old 08-01-2008, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy an S2000 as my first car. I know this might sound silly to some, but I am 24, have the money to buy it, run it etc. and it's the only car I've ever wanted, I just haven't got round to taking my test until now!

I just recently passed my test, so what I'm looking for really is people who have either been in a similar situation or would be able to give me a ballpark figure what what I'm looking at insurance-wise.

With this I have a couple of options - insure it myself, and , or my mother has offered to insure it and put me as a named driver, then I would insure her A-class Merc and place her as a named driver and pay the insurance on the S2k plus the extra cost of me insuring the Merc compared with what she was paying.

If anyone can offer me any advice or tell me what sort of figures I'm looking at, I would appreciate it. I'm willing to go up to around
Old 08-01-2008, 02:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't want to sound patronising but if you've not driven much you will fling this into a hedge at best........

Maybe build up a bit of rear wheel experience elsewhere?

To answer your question it will be expensive until you:
a) reach 30
b) have 4 years NCB by then as well
c) by then taxing one registered in the last 6 years will cost you more than to insure it!

however if you do manage it let us know!!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

An S2k for your first car?

I can't see you getting insurance for less than 2k even with the car being insured in your mum's name with you as a named driver.

The S2k is a group 20 car. Its also probably not the right sort of car for you to learn to drive in either (and i mean learn to drive properly on the roads after you've passed your test!).
Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the S2000 had been my first car I think I'd have ended up killing myself... seriously! I had a 1.1L Fiesta which as far as I was concerned could overtake any car on the road.
Have fun but for god sake be bloody careful.

Good place to start would be by getting a quote off Chris Knott and then shop around from there.

http://www.s2kuk.com/s2kuk/Benefits/...ers.php?cat=12
Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Aug 1 2008, 11:44 AM
The S2k is a group 20 car. Its also probably not the right sort of car for you to learn to drive in either (and i mean learn to drive properly on the roads after you've passed your test!).
Old 08-01-2008, 02:50 AM

Yeah sorry I should have said a bit more about this - I've had about 3 years' worth of lessons and driving on an airfield near my house, it was just that with uni and a lot of other commitments I never actually got round to taking my test. I do understand it's a powerful car and group 20, but I would only be doing around 7k miles a year, and I consider myself to be a pretty natural driver - I used to be part of a kart racing league until I was about 17.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by RevRanger,Aug 1 2008, 02:47 AM
Have fun but for god sake be bloody careful.

Good place to start would be by getting a quote off Chris Knott and then shop around from there.
Cheers RevRanger I'll have a look into that. And thanks everyone for advising me that it's a dangerous car, if I do manage to get insured I will be very careful!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 AM

Most people wont touch you for insurance and those that will, will be looking in excess of
Old 08-01-2008, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by JohnK,Aug 1 2008, 11:52 AM
Cheers RevRanger I'll have a look into that. And thanks everyone for advising me that it's a dangerous car, if I do manage to get insured I will be very careful!
Keep us all posted on developments and let us know if you get sorted.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:04 AM

[QUOTE=RobJ1,Aug 1 2008, 02:56 AM] Most people wont touch you for insurance and those that will, will be looking in excess of

Quick Reply: Insurance?