UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

An insult to Boxster Drivers....I'm being serious by the way

Old 07-31-2003, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark when I said mass market I meant BMW....which I think is mass market, maybe not like Ford and Vauxhall but they still sell a lot of cars
Old 07-31-2003, 03:35 AM

Paul, to take that analysis to its logical extreme, you'd categorise the McClaren Mercedes SLR as a "mass market" car because Mercedes sells a lot of cars.......?

With respect, I don't think you can categorise a particular model as mass market solely on the basis that it produced by a manufacturer who shifts a lot of metal.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:39 AM

I guess so....talking of the SLR I saw one heading into Woking yesterday heavily disguised
Old 07-31-2003, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by uktrucks
Once your inside it the controversial looks are no longer visible, a little like my son says if you pick up a less than attractive date " Beauty is only the click of a light switch away"

Allan
Old 07-31-2003, 03:50 AM

And Porsche don't?
Just because BMW make more affordable cars doesn't make them downmarket. BMW have very cleverly created an aspirational image in this country and in the US which protects them somewhat from the cheapening of image that Ford and Vauxhall suffer from. people associate BMW with success, the higher the numbers on the back, the more succesful you are.
I would argue that for many, almost any BMW is just as prestigious as a Boxster.
As Mark says, the true cachet of the Porsche brand is in the 911, and even then it's still, rightly or wrongly seen as the more affordable of the supercars, and a division below the Ferraris and Astons of this world.

The world we live in currently is marketing driven, for you maybe the Z4 is not in the same league as the Boxter, but for the average Joe, who wears his car like a fashion accessory, it's the latest thing and supplants the Boxster on the list of must haves. For this year at least, maybe next too.
BMW have done their market research as ruthlessly as always, they have looked at the roadster market and seen an opportunity - people buying a dream and an image go from TT to Porsche, it's the 'success route' as far as roadsters are concerned. How about getting the person looking at the TT to look at a similarly priced Z4 (newer and for the moment less common), then when they're into the brand, offer the temptation of the 3.0 instead of the Boxster graduation.

You have to realise that most people don't buy the best car for their needs. Many people buy the car they want people to see them in.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:51 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prestonian
[B]Not driven the Z4, but seen loads of them about already.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:07 AM

I reckon I must be naiive I must be one of the few people who are not driven by labels or brands.....................

I guess that's whay I shop at M&S for my clothes
Old 07-31-2003, 04:26 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zero_to60
[B]I reckon I must be naiive
Old 07-31-2003, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by zero_to60
I guess that's whay I shop at M&S for my clothes
That and the fact that your wife runs up such large gas bills, that have to be paid for somehow
Old 07-31-2003, 04:39 AM

Gadaffi one of the reasons why I turned down a job selling Ferraris for Maranello Concessionaires is that I would find it very difficult selling a car to someone wanting to 'complete a set'

I am the 5th owner of ours (in 3 years) now that says to me that whoever bought the car before just didn't/couldn't drive it

Yes Mark a

Quick Reply: An insult to Boxster Drivers....I'm being serious by the way