UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

An insult to Boxster Drivers....I'm being serious by the way

Old 07-31-2003, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you read the Times article in full you will undersand what I mean

Noise from the engine is fed into the cabin, with intake system pressure noises from the intake manifold, instead of being killed off with yards of felt matting. It arrives in the cabin via a tube and a flexing diaphragm. The result is a high-octane backing track.
Oh please??
Old 07-31-2003, 01:16 AM

I agree with Ian and Mark, I think that BMW have done a good job with the Z4, the styling is still a bit dodgy (OK, more than a bit) but it is a very capable car and I think will push a Boxster or S2K under most conditions.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:40 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Part of the Z3's problem was that BMW de-contented it in order to compete with the MX-5, as well as the TT/986/ etc. Consequently, it was neither Arthur nor Martha.

They realised this was an error, so re-positioned the Z4 where it should be. There are rumours of a Z2 (based on the 1-series) for the TF/MX-5 segment, if BMW can afford to do it.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:46 AM

Not driven the Z4, but seen loads of them about already. I think the S2000 had been on sale for about a year before I saw one anywhere other than the showroom.

In respect of numbers on the road, it certainly will compete with the Boxster and TT.

I think, to a certain extent, most people buying it won't give a hoot how it drives - look at how the Z3 sold!!
Old 07-31-2003, 01:50 AM

Well they certainly drive better than a Z3 and can be made very easily to slide contollably, just as long as you remember to turn DSC off........ Not that many owners will
Old 07-31-2003, 02:12 AM

Here we go again.....

The Z4 will appeal to the badge and style conscious who have
Old 07-31-2003, 02:27 AM

still can't understand why anyone considering a Boxster would also consider a Z4....one is mass market..... the other is not....mind you not that you'd know round my neck of the wood anyway

I though (joking aside) that people bought a Porsche to fulfill a dream...this is why I don't think they are comparable cars

have to agree to disagree.......
Old 07-31-2003, 02:36 AM

I sort of agree with some of the points, but I haven't driven the Z4 yet. Reason being is because I've got to find a good disguise before venturing into a BMW dealership

I like the looks, and the idea of a flat six with 231bhp, but I have seen three around Bournemouth over the last week or so, which means they will probably be as popular as the TT

Finally, I saw one when I was walking up to the pub early evening last week, I mentioned it to a couple of friends, walking with me. Their response was, and this is no Bull$hit - "yes, looks good, but have you see the tw@t who's driving it ?"

Now he might have been a genuine, honest, sound bloke, but he did look like a tw@t on a mobile phone !

Cheers
Rich
Old 07-31-2003, 02:38 AM

Mass market? How can any car which costs upwards of
Old 07-31-2003, 03:12 AM

FWIW I believe that most if not all of the launch day deliveries and probably the first 6 months of normal production of the Z4 were bought by those "Buying the brand or image" content in the knowledge that BMW would not supply them a bad car ?

Now that dealers have demonstrators available the people who are enthusiastic about their behind the wheel experience can compare TT, Boxster , Z4 and possibly even the humble S2000 back to back and decide from there which suits them best.

That way there will still be image sales but also enthusiasts will still buy a car that excites them and who knows possibly a Z4 does that for most.

Once your inside it the controversial looks are no longer visible, a little like my son says if you pick up a less than attractive date " Beauty is only the click of a light switch away"

Buy what makes you happy and if brand is your mantra, who am I to comment on whether or not you're as shallow as a teaspoon, I'm equally as guilty I think Honda is a powerful high image brand

Allan

Quick Reply: An insult to Boxster Drivers....I'm being serious by the way