UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Instant Karma - fined for number plate

Old 09-29-2014, 03:23 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
It's only wrong if you get caught. I did. And I'll pay up.
That's what Rolf Harris said.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:33 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by chastmeister
Originally Posted by CynicG' timestamp='1411977947' post='23348860
That's a very interesting definition of wrong.

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
I attacked grannies for years without you noticing me. Why are you only doing me now you've caught me attacking a granny
For the record:

There is no absolute of right and wrong, just imposed human constraints (most of which we adhere to on morale grounds). Some laws which we used to live by, such as slavery for example, seem appauling cruel now but were upheld without remorse. The behaviour of natural creatures could also be considered cruel, as the old, young and injured would be attacked first, but actually it's just nature. Right and wrong, good and evil are human constraints. Laws are a reflection of that morality at any given time.

I don't go about attacking grannies, that seems 'wrong', but would this be justified if the granny in question was a Jihadist with C4 attached to her zimmer frame, hobbling into a Turkish Kebab shop? What if the granny was a paedophile, or a murderer herself? What if she was the opposition in a war?

Therefore, things are only really wrong in a given context, and if you are caught doing them by people authorised to punish you. Don't let the talking monkeys convince you of any such universal truth.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:45 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

I still maintain my Rolf Harris comment. :-)
Old 09-29-2014, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to know that illegal spacing will be stamped out. How can you consider doing such a thing you evil bastards. £100 fine is exactly what you deserve.

I'm off to get pissed, have a fight with a copper, get arrested and have a free night in the cells and a nice cuppa in the morning and pay my £30 fine.

Illegal spacing though.... you bastards!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:05 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
Originally Posted by chastmeister' timestamp='1411985603' post='23348912
[quote name='CynicG' timestamp='1411977947' post='23348860']
That's a very interesting definition of wrong.

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
I attacked grannies for years without you noticing me. Why are you only doing me now you've caught me attacking a granny
For the record:

There is no absolute of right and wrong, just imposed human constraints (most of which we adhere to on morale grounds). Some laws which we used to live by, such as slavery for example, seem appauling cruel now but were upheld without remorse. The behaviour of natural creatures could also be considered cruel, as the old, young and injured would be attacked first, but actually it's just nature. Right and wrong, good and evil are human constraints. Laws are a reflection of that morality at any given time.

I don't go about attacking grannies, that seems 'wrong', but would this be justified if the granny in question was a Jihadist with C4 attached to her zimmer frame, hobbling into a Turkish Kebab shop? What if the granny was a paedophile, or a murderer herself? What if she was the opposition in a war?

Therefore, things are only really wrong in a given context, and if you are caught doing them by people authorised to punish you. Don't let the talking monkeys convince you of any such universal truth.
[/quote]

No but there is illegal - which in your case will be £100.

I'd rather have the correct plate and spend that on food and wine
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

Wonders how many owners will have to space their S200O** to S200 O** !

To be honest, for years the public has been lucky to get away with plod's blind eye on spacing and size. How many plates do you see with the screw cap in black instead of white/yellow, to "join" lettering/numbers up?! This represents more of an issue. I was thinking of getting aplate a few years ago for my missus, it would start JE55 ***, tempting to put characters together but I was more worried about a fine.

We are so vain!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Back on topic, I can see the point where some people come from but know that police and traffic ANPR CAN read incorrectly spaced plates.
I fully agree its wrong to make it look different by changing font and using the screws to change letters, as thats where the cameras make mistakes. But changing the spacing or maybe reducing the size a bit should not be an issue.
My personal opinion is that some cars look better without a front plate (When there is no plate recess), and like on the S2, best looks wise is without a plate, otherwise to reduce the size. I currently run a 3/4 front plate, but made sure my font and the spacing between letters stayed the same.

As it has been hinted towards, the police should spend there time on more serious issues (or the real illegal plates), rather than pull someone and fine them for incorrect spacing.

I know some countries you can have anything as a plate, not limited to specific layout and structure. So why is the UK so arsy on plates.

Just my opinion...
Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Tony was right about vanity.

Anyone who got away with a £100 fine should feel lucky. https://www.gov.uk/d...plates/overview

You could be fined up to £1,000 and your car will fail its MOT test if you drive with incorrectly displayed number plates.

Note that the rules as laid out there make no mention of ANPR, they are just the rules.

You wouldn't moan about getting done for doing 90mph on a motorway (actually, plenty probably would) but you know the limit is 70mph, you know you are exceeding it by 20mph and you know there is a chance you will get caught and be punished for it.

In the same way, you know that it's against the rules to have a mis-spaced numberplate, you know you have one fitted and are breaking those rules, and you know there is a chance you will get caught and be punished for it.

It's not exactly rocket science to figure out how to avoid a fine for this.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
I still maintain my Rolf Harris comment. :-)
If only he had tied his "kangaroo" down.

The rationale for ANPR was indeed terrorism but it was well in the works before then, the gummint want to know your every move.

(which is possibly why I left...)
Old 09-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Keep on topic please

Quick Reply: Instant Karma - fined for number plate