UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Inside and out.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the MZ make them ok then?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 PM

I think we are getting confused between the 16's and 17's here. The RE050A is for the 16 and the MZ for the 17's. Ideally for 16's you want the RE050A, they are proven on the S, I was running them until last week. If the garage is prepared to swap the one you have fitted, then it's worth insisting on them, they are still available. The next best option would be to stick with the tyre you have and change the other side so they are both the same. If it helps I still have my 16's in the garage, I was saving them for trackdays. If you need to borrow the fronts for a week or so while you get it sorted, you are welcome to them.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob88,Apr 1 2010, 04:29 PM

This is based on a hazy knowledge that the factory geo setting for the S have changed twice in the S’s lifetime and that most people recommend something a little different to the S factory geo anyway and that the difference between a decent geo and a poor geo is night and day.
would that be down to the various suspension changes over the years from the 00my's to the 09my's?
i presume there was changes around 02/04 with the upgrade to 17"'s and various suspension mods honda did vs the 00my's.

CG and WIM may have a reputation well deserved, but if your going to stick on the default settings, why pay double that of somewhere local and not as skilled as CG/WIM aslong as you trust their work?

the local place i goto goes with honda recommended spec, i've seen their work first hand and they always aim for the middle value, rather than "within tolerance". if the prices are correct that people post about with CG on these boards, then i can safely say i'm more than happy with the £100-150 saving my local place has saved me.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry me getting mixed up RE050A is right
Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by veehexx,Apr 1 2010, 08:53 PM
the local place i goto goes with honda recommended spec, i've seen their work first hand and they always aim for the middle value, rather than "within tolerance". if the prices are correct that people post about with CG on these boards, then i can safely say i'm more than happy with the £100-150 saving my local place has saved me.
Its a bit like hifi in that sense...

Some people have £200 ears and will be more than happy with a Comet own brand stereo, others have better ears and will spend many thousands to purchase the hifi setup they want.

If you can't (or don't have the experience to) feel the difference between a car set to your specifications then why pay more than you would be satisfied with. But equally, if you are an experienced driver with a good feel for the car and understand your driving style paying the extra for a "full" alignment service may well be worth the extra. Some of the more aggressive setups can effect tyre life etc. but that driver may well consider it a compromise worth making, e.g. they only use the car at weekends and do plenty of track days.

Mine was a daily driver, therefore, I did not want to incur the extra costs that a more aggressive setup would have given me so my mate who builds rally cars set mine up so that it handled well (for me) and didn't munch through the tyres too badly...

WiM, CG etc would take driving style, use etc. into account and understand the effect the settings will make to the car... your local alignment centre will probably not do that... herein lies the difference.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corgi_watkins,Apr 2 2010, 09:44 AM
Some people have £200 ears and will be more than happy with a Comet own brand stereo, others have better ears and will spend many thousands to purchase the hifi setup they want.
But if you've only ever heard a £200 Comet stereo, you won't know what you're missing. Same with the getting the geo done properly. There's a reason why there's so many posts on here gushing praise for CG. Most of those people weren't aware that anything was "wrong" beforehand, but they certainly know that it's a lot better afterwards.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:59 AM

Thanks for your imput, people.Wobbly, thanks for your offer; I'll see if I can get it sorted tomorrow at Apex, who are closed today.
Yep, I need 16".What I don't understand is :
- why the guy said he could get me Volvo tyres.I thought the Bridgestone RE050As were specifically for the S2000.
- I have RE050As on the rear so obviously I need the same on the front.Reading the Technical side of the forum there is a definite distinction in size between the rears and the fronts, so I take it one has to specify a FRONT RE050A tyre.
Sorry to go on about this but I need to be sure what I'm requesting or I feel they'll try sell me anything,as with the one they put on yesterday.
Cheers.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:11 AM

If you go to an online tyre shop like tyretraders.com and enter the details for a 16" tyre and filter the results for Bridgestone, you will see there are lots of different BS tyres all the same size but specced for different car manufacturers. Amongst them you will find the RE050A and probably the Volvo variant. My guess is that the only 16" BS tyre they have in stock in the right size is the Volvo spec.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:17 AM

Thanks.So the Volvo one, which he did say was the only one he could find,would NOT be for the S....as I understand.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:17 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

RE050as are not specifically for the S2000, but they are the tyre from Bridgestone's range that they recommend. You can enter your car details on their website to confirm this. They suggest the RE050a for "Sport Performance" and the ER300 for "Comfort Performance" - make of that what you will.

Essentially, you want the same type of tyre on each side of the car, so go and get an RE050a fitted ASAP.

Rears are 225/50/R16

Fronts are narrower 205/55/R16

http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/contact...the-right-tyre

Quick Reply: Inside and out.