UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Initial Estimate in from Bodyshop

Old 07-30-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, roof is up Just black dirt all over the carpet on the inside

I have measured gaps around the bonnet, and doors though, and they are completely out from side to side - that car is bent !!!
Old 07-30-2005, 11:14 PM
MrV

Both of those are good though Jo ,in an I want it written off point of view
Old 07-31-2005, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As MrV says if the front is out the chassis is twisted and that could be the defining factor for a write off!
Old 07-31-2005, 04:03 AM

Doesn't a jig correct that?

I measure the bonnet left-right and i can fit my car key down one side completely and wiggle it, t'other side it doesn't fit at all.

Ditto for the gap on the left -right hand side of the car for the doors.

But I assume the jig fixes that

The rear quarter panel is also rusted, and when I asked the bodyshop guy he said they would replace that panel rather than fix it. The parts list doesn't show that.

Biting my nails for tomorrow now !!!
Old 07-31-2005, 11:50 PM

Well the wait is prolonged

Got a call from the bodyshop this morning at 8am to tell me the engineer is onsite and won't be long (45 mins away at this time in the morning), but she'll call me straight back with an estimate of how long he'll be.

They don't bother calling so Chris and I get in the car to head over - partway there they call to say surprise surprise the engineer needs the car up on a ramp, and they've organised for that to happen tomorrow

So another day waiting

This is exactly why I wanted to talk to the sodding engineer before he looked at the car, so I could tell him about leaks, roof, gaps etc. Why won't anybody listen to me !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Jul 30 2005, 08:48 PM
Keep pushing the reapir costs up and that will get it written off!
Keep delaying and the hire costs alone will do it
It's behaviour like this pushes the premiums up for everyone else.

Very selfish IMHO.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:52 AM

If they decide to repair the car, I will be ensuring it is in the same condition it was before the accident - pristine. I don't see what's unfair about that

The hire charges are high, but it's a like-for-like scheme and i don't see what's unfair about that either.

I think it will be a close call, assuming AXA take into account hire charges, repair bill, diminution claim and salvage value. As I said - the bill is currently sitting at about 22k (diminution + repair + hire) without taking into account salvage. The car's residual value (pre-accident) is probably close to 22k +/- so I think it will be close.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Aug 1 2005, 08:52 AM
If they decide to repair the car, I will be ensuring it is in the same condition it was before the accident - pristine. I don't see what's unfair about that

The hire charges are high, but it's a like-for-like scheme and i don't see what's unfair about that either.

I think it will be a close call, assuming AXA take into account hire charges, repair bill, diminution claim and salvage value. As I said - the bill is currently sitting at about 22k (diminution + repair + hire) without taking into account salvage. The car's residual value (pre-accident) is probably close to 22k +/- so I think it will be close.
I'm not saying it's unfair that you should get back what you had before. It wasn't your fault some clown did you up the rear (in a manor of speaking ) so you're perfectly justified in wanting back a car in the same condition as you had prior to the incident.

What I'm saying is not right, i.e. what Mike was suggesting, that you should influence the decision by forcing the costs up purely so you can get a new car out of it.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:20 AM

[QUOTE=UK_S2000,Aug 1 2005, 09:43 AM] It's behaviour like this pushes the premiums up for everyone else.

Very selfish IMHO.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:25 AM

But Jo's not doing that UK S2000. Her car was immaculate before the moment that numb nuts rear ended her. But aesthetically and mechanically. Now if the assessor (sp?!?) only looks at csometic damage then that means the car is not returned in the same state it was in.

The body and panels, even the bul heads etc can be checked, however if the engine isn't in the same condition then that needs to be examined and repaired.

Jo isn't trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill but remember she is the innocent party and as for the costs of insurance going up, we all face that, and I have 2 cars of my own to pay for so I do feel it. It was the other driver's fault that we are even in this situation, not Jo's.

Quick Reply: Initial Estimate in from Bodyshop