UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Initial Estimate in from Bodyshop

Old 07-29-2005, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no way I will allow (if at all possible) repaired parts to go back on that car. The insured driver made the errors and the car should be returned to Jo in exactly the same condition it was in the moment before he hit it ot better.

A repaired part will never match up to the specs of a brand new wing, bumper, whatever. It will have been work hardened through the repair process and lost some of its materials properties. Blending in the paint will never match, it requires a full spray of that panel in Hondas own paint etc to guarentee that it matches Jo's.

I may have a steep hill to climb on this one but with a little engineering knowledge and a great way of negotiating I am going to do everything I can to prove that this car does not warrant repaired parts on it but brand new replacement parts.

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good stance Kelk.

Stick to your guns. Under negligence you have a right to be returned to the position you were before the accident. So if you feel a repair is not adequate then argue it.

Although it will be a steep hill to climb, without at least trying, you will never get over it.

Keep us updated.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:06 AM

Hmm good points everybody - I hadn't spotted the "repair" bit. And you're right there is no replacement rear quarter panel which looked like this after the accident:

The assessor is there to figure out what is cheapest for the insurer - the third party insurer, not mine.

I've worked out so far:

Initial estimate is
Old 07-29-2005, 04:08 AM

Yes Chesh if I had caused the damage I'd probably take more than I would now - I did absolutely nothing wrong, therefore the car gets finished as it was before the accident, and that means new parts. Thanks for pointing that out guys.

Chesh - you sound like you're quoting something legal there, do you have a reference?

The painting with Honda paint will also be a challenge
Old 07-29-2005, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Jul 29 2005, 10:53 AM
1) Nothing to do with the scanner, I have cut and paste bits as you don't need to see the entire quote

2) They *will* change both on the same axle, or they are sending me out in a dangerous car. They would be forcing me to change my other tyre early as a result of the accident, therefore the insurance company *will* pay.

3) Paint - they mention removing, replacing and refitting the offside rear quarter and sill. These were not damaged during the accident so why do they need that degree of work?

4) Roof down for 6 weeks in sun means dried out and sunfaded interior and dust, possibly rain and damp damage

5) Taped, well have you ever seen a car taped to a flat bed with parcel tape?

6) They have the car in front of them, so they have seen it

7) Engine, yep will do on Monday, along with roof mechanism and exhaust. I have already mentioned to them

8) Brakes - fair point, I do'nt know what was damaged, hence my "?" in the original post

9) God knows about the label, wasn't this the one from the rear panel in the door closure?

Anybody else got any thoughts?
1) Fair enough.

2) Still don't see why they have to change both tyres. If only 1 was damaged, that's all they're obliged to change IMHO. You wore it down prior to the incident, so the onus is on you to change it surely? Don't wanna sound like an ar$e, and I do know how yah feeling having lost money myself in my accident.

3) We all know garages try to make money out of insurance claims as it's guaranteed income.

4) If car has been exposed to the elements for 6 weeks solid then maybe, but I doubt it would have been out that long in all honesty.

5) So they used Sellotape then? Tight ba$tards!

6) Why do another assessment then? Or am I missing a trick?

7)

8) Might be worth asking them to check the hoses?

9) Ah yes, that sticker. That's the "expensive" one.

TBH, if it's being repaired by a Honda garage it will come back as good as new and I doubt you'll notice any difference even if they do repair rather than replace. Let's hope it's done quickly so yah back on the road!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:19 AM

2) - because due to no fault of my own I am having to pay out cash - the tyres had about 3ml left on them and I was waiting til winter to replace (no lectures here please!)

3) yeah, i also hear they purposefully underquote to guarantee the business, in case the insurance co write off instead and they don't get any work

4) not sure - it was spotted outside on the back of a truck and I doubt it was stored inside - too expensive

6) the initial assessment was done in Bristol by my insurers. The bodyshop have now done an estimate. Now the third party insurers are taking over the claim, so they are inspecting it - their assessor looks not only at repair cost, but everything else - hire charges etc. as well

8) if i just ask them to check "brake hoses" i won' tlook a numpty then

it's a Honda approved bodyshop - the dealer doesn't do it - i'm trying to get it written off tbh as I@ll lose less
Old 07-29-2005, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Jul 29 2005, 01:19 PM

8) if i just ask them to check "brake hoses" i won' tlook a numpty then
Don't worry about just the brake hoses. We will endeavour to make this guy go over it with the finest of fine tooth combs. At the end he will be more intimate with your car than he is with his wife's chuff.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:23 AM

Also, if I crash on the way home from the bodyshop, because the LSD or I have spun due to completely unmatching tyre treads - who is liable?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait until the engineer comes to view, he will then pull apart the work they have already quoted on and if he's any good will insist on tyres shocks or suspension to be replaced not repaired. and both sides for that matter.

do not speak to the engineer until he has completed his task in hand, then make sure you have every question written down so you dont get either upset or side tracked, once hes seen the car and had a good look around point out all the things you are unhappy about and you would like a written response say by tuesday which is sent directly to you not your advisers for the claim.

this will give you an idea of what he thinks should be done with the car and you can work on it from that point.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:32 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

TBH, cutting off a rear wing around the boot shut is a nightmare. Also, you've broken the galvanising, so the rustproofing's buggered.

That's why I insisted mine was peeled back to change the sill, & then re-shaped. A good panel beater (many are crap) will do an excellent job.

You might be surprised to see how that wing pops back into shape after a good 'tug' with the car-o-liner.

Mind you, if thay're gonna change the inner wing, it's probably gotta come off. Maybe it's just a crap estimate.

Quick Reply: Initial Estimate in from Bodyshop