UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Initial Estimate in from Bodyshop

Old 07-29-2005, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial Estimate in from Bodyshop

I have received an initial estimate from the bodyshop - it is labour & paint only, does not include parts or VAT.

I am going to the bodyshop on Monday, when the insurance company engineer is there, to do his assessment (back to front I know).

I'd really appreciate it if you could have a look through this list and if you have any thoughts/comments, and also what I should be looking for on Monday.

My initial thoughts are:

* Only replacing 1 rear tyre - the tyres were nearly dead so bad idea
* There seems to be substantial repainting needed on the side that was not damaged (drivers side)
* Car has had the roof down and has been transported and stored with the roof down for 6 weeks
* Car was taped to a truck, so potential bodywork damage
* No mention of parts for the exhaust which has been damaged, or the soft top
* No mention of any inspection for the engine, which was leaking
* No mention of brake replacement?

The damage was primarily to the near side rear, exhaust and engine.

I'm a novice with all this stuff, so would very much appreciate any thoughts !

Old 07-29-2005, 02:40 AM

I see you became more experienced with the scanner as you went on. A few more and it will almost be straight!

They'll only list one tyre because only 1 was damaged, so if the others are dead then you may as well get the others changed and pay the difference.

Paint... They'll normally only blend it in so unless the remaining paint has been damaged as a result of the accident, they won't touch it.

Roof down for 6 weeks... As long as it wasn't outside for 6 weeks in the rain it will be fine. Maybe ask them to dust it?

Taped to a truck... Sellotape or Parcel Tape?

Missing Parts... Probably haven't mentioned these as they need to see it before saying they're replacing x,y,z

Engine... Mention you would like it inspected. They inspected mine and even steam cleaned it for me FOC too!

Brakes... I think the guy that hit you needs those replacing, not you! If it was only the arms that failed, they're not going to replace the discs, etc.

Out of interest, why do you need a new SRS label for your windscreen? Was the crash so severe it became unstuck?!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:53 AM

1) Nothing to do with the scanner, I have cut and paste bits as you don't need to see the entire quote

2) They *will* change both on the same axle, or they are sending me out in a dangerous car. They would be forcing me to change my other tyre early as a result of the accident, therefore the insurance company *will* pay.

3) Paint - they mention removing, replacing and refitting the offside rear quarter and sill. These were not damaged during the accident so why do they need that degree of work?

4) Roof down for 6 weeks in sun means dried out and sunfaded interior and dust, possibly rain and damp damage

5) Taped, well have you ever seen a car taped to a flat bed with parcel tape?

6) They have the car in front of them, so they have seen it

7) Engine, yep will do on Monday, along with roof mechanism and exhaust. I have already mentioned to them

8) Brakes - fair point, I do'nt know what was damaged, hence my "?" in the original post

9) God knows about the label, wasn't this the one from the rear panel in the door closure?

Anybody else got any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2005, 03:06 AM

I personnelly would not accept any repaired parts on my car.
Its new, i want new parts back on it and as its a highly stressed car and will be used for adv driving courses ( track day ) i feel this would not be safe.

If the other person did not take pics and you have not submitted any to insurance then your body shop are friendly like my bodyshop is then extra damage can be done to ensure new parts

When its repaired go over with a fine tooth comb and make sure its clean and polished to see any defects especially in paint work and alignment and dont sign for it until you have seen it under a street light at night for colour mismatch.

basically dont take crap and be pushed over.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:09 AM

I'm assuming they are all new parts, rather than repaired? What makes you think they are repaired parts - I'm probably missing something staring right at me !
Old 07-29-2005, 03:10 AM

The interior will be a mess if the roof has been open in all this rain. Possible rust of bits inside the car that should not really be wet as well getting into the electrics - maybe you need to mention the possibility of rust in years to come as a result of this pro-longed exposure.

Its also gonna stink of damp. Whats the cost of all this as I could not see a cost on you post (or am I being a knob and missing something).

In light of everything I personally would not want the car back. Hope it works out OK for you.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:15 AM

Repair the NSR chassis leg and the boot floor.
I cant see that they have ordered a new rear bumper either or boot lid if it was damaged?
That will leave loads of hammer marks as had that done on an old ford Orion
Old 07-29-2005, 03:29 AM

Jo with Simmo's earlier post - especially ....

I personnelly would not accept any repaired parts on my car.
Its new, i want new parts back on it and as its a highly stressed car and will be used for adv driving courses ( track day ) i feel this would not be safe.
The parts when they were on your car were not already repaired, they were untouched, therefore untouched parts should go back onto the car.

and

When its repaired go over with a fine tooth comb and make sure its clean and polished to see any defects especially in paint work and alignment and dont sign for it until you have seen it under a street light at night for colour mismatch.

basically dont take crap and be pushed over.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The most annoying thing is you are completely blame free here. Your near new 25k motor is being 'fudged' to be put back on the road.

That would annoy me so much as I'm sure it is you.

If you had mangled it, then fine, your would feel a little easier - but this is some monkey in a nail that has put you in that position.

Fingers crossed the assessor sees sense and writes it off.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:42 AM

The same thing (altho) nowhere near as badly has happened to me, i fought with the insurers and lost.

I had a tyre damaged in an accident - and they replaced this but not the one on the other side. I admire your resolve Jo, but i insisted they replaced both, and ended up paying the difference. They argued that it wasnt in their remit to replace parts that werent damaged as Mike points out above.

I also asked for new panels rather than repair work. They didnt do this either, and told me that it isnt feasible to replace the rear quarter panels as they are welded on, and might not look correct / straight when replaced. In their view it was better to repair than replace. The rear bumper has never been correctly aligned to my eye since - and ive taken it back 4 times now.

The car feels fine, and in all honesty if you werent me, you wouldnt know to look at it. But i was left slightly miffed thinking - i dont want the car back repaired - it was A1 before some twat parked in the side of it at a junction for no fathomable reason - i want it back as it was. UK_S2000 is correct in what hes getting at really - that is .... unfortunately you arent going to get the car back as it was. The insurers will send an assessor who frankly will do as little as he can at as little cost as he can get away with, even in a no fault claim.

Its a shitty situation.

R.

EDITTED: ive been to the pub for lunch and seem to have lost all semblence of grammar, spelling, and cognitive thought.

Quick Reply: Initial Estimate in from Bodyshop