UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my engine (short block) replaced under warranty about 15 months ago and have covered just under 8k miles on it now and all still seems ok So I now have a car with a new engine that I hope does not suffer the same fate as some of the 09 replacement engines I.E fail or it could go on for 200k miles,I extended my warranty incase the worst happens but this year will be the last year that I can do this with Honda,
What we really need is Honda to say yes we know there is a problem with late model s2000 engines and we also are aware that there is a problem with our stock of replacement engines and that any late model s2000 cars that have engine failures wether they be original or replacement engines will have their engines replaced regardless of warranty periods. We also need guarantees that the new engines will not befall the same fate as the original engines and for that to happen we need for Honda to tell us why the engines have been failing and what they've changed in the replacement engines to guarantee their longevity. I wont hold my breath on this but IMHO it's what we need to hear from Honda.
One other thought I had was what would happen if somebody needed a new engine for their car which wasn't covered under warranty (flood,fire, over rev etc) and had pay for one out of their own pocket. They would be buying an engine (at considerable cost) that they would expect to last for many many years/miles only for it to possibly fail a few thousand miles later. If that engine is over 1 year old it will no longer be under guarantee and they'll be screwed. so is Honda knowingly sell parts that are not fit for purpose?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Hi

Car went to Chester Honda today, they checked for end float (which apparently was within tolerance). END OF STORY!!!! They told me Honda won't authorize any further checks and that they won't agree there is a known issue. Both the Head technician and service manager at the garage agreed there was a definite issue and that the noise wasn't normal but they are stuck!!!

I have spoken to HONDA UK on the phone this afternoon and told them the above and that I am not happy and want it checked fully, they asked me...... "do you run the car on Super Unleaded sir?' Jesus!!! The answer is of course yes, I always do, but I cant believe that was their response!!!

Crikey!!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by tjhmortimer
Hi

Car went to Chester Honda today, they checked for end float (which apparently was within tolerance). END OF STORY!!!! They told me Honda won't authorize any further checks and that they won't agree there is a known issue. Both the Head technician and service manager at the garage agreed there was a definite issue and that the noise wasn't normal but they are stuck!!!

I have spoken to HONDA UK on the phone this afternoon and told them the above and that I am not happy and want it checked fully, they asked me...... "do you run the car on Super Unleaded sir?' Jesus!!! The answer is of course yes, I always do, but I cant believe that was their response!!!

Crikey!!!!

Don't get mad

Get Dom !!

What is the noise you are concerned about tjh ?

Tappety noise, which is pretty normal on an S2000 or the noise which Kiteland described in his initial post ?

IE; the "tinkling", loose heatshield, pinking type noise, best audible between 2-3k RPM ?

It's best heard when the engine noise can rebound off a wall and is quite a subtle noise
Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Originally Posted by tjhmortimer' timestamp='1308763084' post='20708577
Hi

Crikey!!!!

Mine is a metallicy noise heard when revs held between 2 -2.5k revs. Anything above or below that range it seems to disappear!
It worries me..........

Don't get mad

Get Dom !!

What is the noise you are concerned about tjh ?

Tappety noise, which is pretty normal on an S2000 or the noise which Kiteland described in his initial post ?

IE; the "tinkling", loose heatshield, pinking type noise, best audible between 2-3k RPM ?

It's best heard when the engine noise can rebound off a wall and is quite a subtle noise
Old 06-22-2011, 09:49 AM

BRY

Why can't you extend your warranty again ? I thought it could be extended for up to 3 years

Good point about anyone buying a new engine, although I think if you pay (ie not warranty) for replacment parts Honda guarantee them for 2 years

I reckon your engine is a good'un. Remember what you said about running in when we spoke ?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 AM

tjh

You have PM
Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
BRY

Why can't you extend your warranty again ? I thought it could be extended for up to 3 years

Good point about anyone buying a new engine, although I think if you pay (ie not warranty) for replacment parts Honda guarantee them for 2 years

I reckon your engine is a good'un. Remember what you said about running in when we spoke ?

I thought you could only extend it upto 5 years old? Hopefully I'm wrong as then I could extend it till it's 6 years old . Fingers crossed the running in helped
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM

tjh what's your current mileage ?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody know how many 09s were sold in the UK ?

It'd be interesting to see what percentage of cars sold known to this forum have experienced issues.
If there's a reasonable percentage here, chances are there will be a lot more.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by LTB
Does anybody know how many 09s were sold in the UK ?

It'd be interesting to see what percentage of cars sold known to this forum have experienced issues.
If there's a reasonable percentage here, chances are there will be a lot more.
No more than 300 (recent thread on here about "how many of your car are left")

I can't be arsed looking for the thread but I worked it out from that

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners