UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What I'm really curious about are the "failures". A bunch of pages back there was a case with a rod going through a block... but as for the "failed" engines, what exactly happened? Did all the failures leave someone on the side of the road, or was it the dealership saying the engine is no good due to the noise?

The reason I ask, is because I've been dealing with a similar sound on my US MY09, and I know for a fact I had an almost identical sound on my '06. I have really started to think that some of these obnoxious rattles are a characteristic of the DBW(06+) cars. I even talked to a friend that had an '06 that had the same sound. I put about 50k solid miles on my last S before I sold it, and never had an issue.

Could anyone chime in?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by FISH22
Figured I'd post in here...

I made a thread in the main UTH section. I have been experiencing a very similar rattle to what has been posted. Starts just below 2k RPMs, and I can usually hear it up to 2500 RPMs. After that, it seems to disappear, but I can't be sure considering engine sounds seem to take over. Obviously, this car has an F22, being that I'm from the states. It's an '09 that just hit 27k miles. The '09s over here don't seem to have the same issue, but then again, there just aren't too many '09s over here. I have also noticed what seemed like some very fine metallic dust/powder in the last oil change. So I'm guessing it is some type of bearing in the engine. Other than those couple things, the car runs great, pulls hard, etc.

Car is going to the dealer Monday.
Oh, and my dealer visit a couple weeks ago went as you would figure. The dealer sent me on my way saying everything seemed normal. I'm just glad I did get everything documented in case something happens down the road.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by FISH22
What I'm really curious about are the "failures". A bunch of pages back there was a case with a rod going through a block... but as for the "failed" engines, what exactly happened? Did all the failures leave someone on the side of the road, or was it the dealership saying the engine is no good due to the noise?

The reason I ask, is because I've been dealing with a similar sound on my US MY09, and I know for a fact I had an almost identical sound on my '06. I have really started to think that some of these obnoxious rattles are a characteristic of the DBW(06+) cars. I even talked to a friend that had an '06 that had the same sound. I put about 50k solid miles on my last S before I sold it, and never had an issue.

Could anyone chime in?
No info guys?

Has HUK told you guys to keep your mouths shut?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

They've all been killed & replaced by Asimos.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 AM

Haha. It is awfully quiet. Was hoping to read of a resolution.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

someone has to know something over there. no?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
someone has to know something over there. no?
x2
Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys, I just spent all night reading through this whole thread. I'd like to share my story if I may. Previously I owned a 09 s2k which developed a mechanical problem. The dealership I took it to said it was probably a engine problem, I had my doubts because the symptoms were different to what is described in this thread. I thought it was more likely a nackered diff, but I didn't kick up a fuss because they repaired whatever it was and told me they gave me a new short block under warranty. Anyway somebody set fire to that car last year (but that's another story) and I bought myself another 09 with the insurance pay out.

Now I always knew about this thread but I never thought to read through it, because like I said I thought my previous s2k wasn't really engine related, and it got repaired anyway so didn't think this affected me. So after reading it all now I regret that I didn't do so earlier because my current s2k had a few similar symptoms as described on here. Some time this year I noticed when pulling away slowly and cruising there is a whistling sound coming from somewhere which it didn't used to make. I didn't think it was a big deal so didn't get it checked. Now about a month and a half ago I swapped cars with my cousin because I needed some extra seats for my sisters wedding. During the first week he said he noticed the VSA light didn't switch off and asked me if it was already like that. Now I start my car and warm it up 2-3 minutes every time before I drive off so I know for definite it wasn't like that because I would have noticed it staring at me. Anyway I found out on s2ki that the VSA module is known to go bad so I just put it down to bad luck, I even posted in the wanted section for a used one. Then during the second week in my cousins care he said my car started making a really loud sound when running, like a tractor as someone said on here. And again he asked me was it like that before I gave it to him lol. So we thought it could just be a loose heat shield or something minor but something big was definitely wrong when driving it, the car just didn't want to rev and go, was really rough. I cringed while driving the whole time, it sounded like it was tearing itself apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d7shg49-OE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj_PX_30TbU

So I took it to Honda who said the engine is knocking but they don't know what the problem is exactly until I let them open it up. But they gave me a invoice and said should I need to replace the whole engine it will cost £13K LOL!

Anyway I took it to a private garage nearby that my cousin recommended for a second opinion. The guy immediately diagnosed that it could be the thrust bearing/washer just by listening to it rev, so I left my car with him. The next day he took the oil pan off and found metal shavings inside and concluded that something major has gone wrong inside. So my car has been with him since, but he has been too busy with other jobs so far and hasn't started on my car yet. So after reading through this thread I'm gutted I didn't do so earlier so I could've done something about it when I started hearing the whistling noise!

So whilst reading through the thread it seemed like HUK was finally going to do something about it. A lot of meetings took place mid to late 2011 and a few non relevant posts were made in 2012. But then I was disappointed to find at the end it just kind of died... what happened? was there an outcome? I know that HUK will not add any extension to any warranty but are willing to look at individual cases. Does anyone know if they will look at a car that has already completely failed and without warranty out of goodwill? I mean it's pretty obvious that my car is one of the faulty batch of 09's.

Also I think it's a shame how things have turned out, I can't say for sure but it seems like some secret arrangement was made that only certain people know about? The way everyone was so positive about a resolution being made soon and then.. nothing... I must say I've always loved Honda's especially when I first saw the s2k back in 1999. But if they dragged all this out purposely I think it's absolutely disgusting. I agree with GREGSTERWIZ, if Honda was serious about wanting to fix this problem it would have happened a long long time ago. To say they're serious about resolving the matter and having a dedicated team looking into it, who are they trying to fool?! It's a shame that at the beginning a few individuals wanted to see this through to the end no matter if it affected the resale value of their own cars. That was very honourable of them, it was a matter of principle that they wouldn't let Honda get away with it and see the same thing happen to potential new owners. But in the end even they had to show their hand and sell something they really loved. I totally understand and don't blame them, I also just want to get this sorted at the least cost possible and get rid of this headache as soon as possible. I just think if this was Honda's intention all along it's despicable. I know there are a lot of doubters to the 09 problem, I once was also. Good luck to you guys who still keep the faith. I thoroughly enjoyed the 4 years of s2k ownership, I still smile every time I get in mine and can't believe that I own a car I dreamed about before I could drive. Such a shame this has soured the experience. Take note Honda if you see this, this is not the way to keep customers loyal.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man you really havent had a lot of luck

If, which is probably the case, Honda don't want anything to do with it then I think the cheapest most reliable option is to stick an older engine in...
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this thread went dead when most of the original 09 owners sold up and moved onto other cars/brands. That why I stopped posting here. I don’t own a Honda any more.

I don’t disagree that HUK should have done something across the board but, being realistic, for such a low volume car they’d rather dealer with owners 1:1.

When they have dealt with owners 1:1 I think most have come to a resolution both parties have been happy with.

Can I suggest you contact HUK direct to discuss the diagnosis – if you need a contact PM me.

I think having two 09s with rattling engines is very unlucky but also perhaps quite telling. 2008/9 wasn't a good vintage for S2000 IMO.

Hope you get a resolution.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners