UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
Honda made it clear in our meetings that there would be no free warranties. They simple said they would 'look after' any one who had previously reported problems.
They made it clear to me there would not be a factory warranty, but did not rule out local arrangements.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
Honda made it clear in our meetings that there would be no free warranties. They simple said they would 'look after' any one who had previously reported problems.
Guys did this problem also affect the Edition 100 model? The limited edition in white? as I was considering of getting one of those but now I'm put off
Old 07-27-2012, 04:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It does yes, any one of the last model years seems to be at risk
Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 PM

you must be kidding me!!! i cant believe this. after months and months thinking what should i get i decided I should get one of the 09 limited edition ones and then I get directed to this thread and boooommm all hopes gone!!! i done wanna end up spending over 12k for an 09 and end up coming and going to the dealer!!!

what a disappointment! Never expected this from a Honda. I love honda infact the Civic I own is my third Honda I bought following a CRX and the old civic but hmmmm S2000 hmmm... not sure any more. Might end up looking at some other manufacturers for a roadster. what a bugger.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Just get a low mileage earlier car and put the money you save towards running and enjoying it. There's so many low mileage garage queens out there
Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

I have been looking at a nice low miles private sale '09. I guess the problem cars all fall within a known range of numbers - the one I looked at had engine number 1090006. Is this one at risk would you say ?

C A.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt A
Hi guys,

I have been looking at a nice low miles private sale '09. I guess the problem cars all fall within a known range of numbers - the one I looked at had engine number 1090006. Is this one at risk would you say ?

C A.
Earlier in this thread engine numbers get a mention IIRC
Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM

Not posted on here for ages, but after monitoring this thread for a while the temtation was too much. We has our first S from new for 5 years and like most others on here never had be problem. I only sold it because I knew it was on run out, so wanted a new one to keep. I was pleased with our new 09 and happy for nearly 2 years! After reading this thread I checked and there was a strange rattle at 2-3000 rpm, months went by and no promise of resolution so I didnt want to take the chance on an import so sold it, although is was still running fine. However, it did not sound the same as the old one so it had to go, too much risk. After 7 years, 2 new S2000, 2 new civic type Rs and 2 new CRVs the relationship with Honda is over. My faith is gone (well done Honda). I now have a new BMW 5 and Boxter as a worthy ( but not better) replacement for the S. Nothing is perfect these days and the Porsche has had a few very minor issues ( although not the BMW, after 2 years), but their customer service have been fantastic. I'm one of those consumers that vote with my feet, so as I said the Honda relationship is over, reputations are hard won and easily lost and to me Honda's crown has well slipped. Sad really that Honda chose to take this position with it's loyal S following; it was a fantastic car and achievement, but the end of an era, Honda no longer has anything like it and sales are flagging, a nich tool like the S doses a lot for the image of the brand, which is now a tarnished image.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:01 AM

I will defend the 09's from my own experience.

I have an 09 with eng no C21080526 on 22K.

It is serviced at Grantham Honda and has never given any problems.
I have extended the warranty for a further 3yrs for peace of mind after reading all the doom and gloom on this forum but it runs perfectly and has not required any repairs done apart from services.

There are far more issues on this forum with earlier cars than 09's
I would advise anyone looking to buy a late S to check it's service history with the dealer and extend the warranty.

Why have some 09's had engines? some have had three! yet the majority which you won't hear about are fine?
I wish someone would post the real issue with those engines and why there is only an issue with certain cars.

This is my 3rd Honda totaling 100,000 miles and I have never had a problem with any of them.

When the S replacement eventually appears I will certainly buy one if I like the look of it.

I have collegues who have had engines in Audis and BM's but I wouldn't condem them all.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my GT100 yesterday (sad day), nothing to do with the perceived issues, but a new chapter in life with our first baby on the horizon. The constant slating of the entire 08/09 (specifically 09) model years frankly became very tiring and worrying for me as I thought about selling. I had no worries with my car and it was and still is fine. In my opinion, I lost a potential sale due to the negativity that this thread has injected into the market. Certain people decided to keep twisting the knife once they were out of the game in my opinion to tarnish the market for others, perhaps with hidden agendas to drive prices down and get back into the market at a lower cost.

As ever, the few (unlucky) ones are quick to complain on open forums but all the happy and unaffected owners just get on and enjoy the car, as I am sure the chap that bought mine will do for years to come.

We sold our old mini as it needed a new steering pump (£800 job and common fault), A3 as it needed a new head (common fault affecting nearly all 2.0tdi VAG 140ps motors from 04-06). I hear horror stories about the RMS on the 911 / Boxster / Cayman etc... they are still 'good cars' are they not?

The scare mongering is very disappointing to be honest and no doubt drove the market down, shame really. A few chaps on this page alone have already bailed out of probably purchases of what is after all the best S Honda ever made (according to the motoring press).

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners