UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And as this thread raises its head again Honda (UK) will be ducking for cover

It went quiet for a while but come on, 4 engines in a 3 year old car with 22k on the clock ?

There's something very, very wrong here.

I still miss my (09) S2000 but it was a ticking bomb. And there's no joy to be had from that...
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Old 06-19-2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ' timestamp='1340108575' post='21793370
I don't see your point. 4 engines in 1 car ? I'd like to see Honda explain that.

Or do you mean that Honda don't really care ?

I can assure you they did when I owned my S2000.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
We are looking for our third S and it won't be older than a 57 plate.
LOL I knew it wouldn't be long before you posted this!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:58 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1340109198' post='21793393
[quote name='GREGSTERWIZ' timestamp='1340108575' post='21793370']
I don't see your point. 4 engines in 1 car ? I'd like to see Honda explain that.

[/quote]

Honda UK don't care about this thread, and certainly won't be "ducking for cover" because of it.

It's not as if they would even attempt to "explain" anything in this forum.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ' timestamp='1340110076' post='21793429
[quote name='lovegroova' timestamp='1340109198' post='21793393']
[quote name='GREGSTERWIZ' timestamp='1340108575' post='21793370']

[/quote]

Honda UK don't care about this thread, and certainly won't be "ducking for cover".

It's not as if they would even attempt to "explain" anything in this forum.
[/quote]

How do you know they don't care ? Honda (UK) were following this thread very closely last year. I know this because I spoke to them at length. For months.

Honda do not like any form of bad publicity. That goes without saying. I am not suggesting that Phil Dix will appear on this forum and debate the issues. He, or any representative of Honda, will not. It appears they have weathered the storm very well concerning the 09 issues.

My point was that Honda will not like this thread making a reappearance. It disappeared for a while and then someone (Longpig) popped up again saying he needed another engine. His fourth in the same car. That was all.

But as always on this forum some of the moderators like to think they know it all. I am happy to report you don't.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:24 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

How do you know they don't care ? Honda (UK) were following this thread very closely last year. I know this because I spoke to them at length. For months.

Honda do not like any form of bad publicity. That goes without saying. I am not suggesting that Phil Dix will appear on this forum and debate the issues. He, or any representative of Honda, will not. It appears they have weathered the storm very well concerning the 09 issues.

My point was that Honda will not like this thread making a reappearance. That was all.

But as always on this forum some of the moderators think they know it all. I am happy to report you don't.
Nothing to with being a moderator, other than having kept an eye on the thread and being an interested but fortunately unaffected 3rd party with a balanced view.
  • We've seen claims that some sort of public announcement or acknowledgement on what the problem is would be made by Honda - nothing doing so far.
  • Here's what they do when there really is a problem: http://www.dailymail...ne-failure.html
  • We've seen people suggesting that Watchdog might be interested - nothing doing so far.
  • We've seen Honda dealers replacing engines and parts of engines under warranty, which would be approved by Honda UK but, no-one has posted up any information regarding compensation beyond that or of a free extended warranty.
  • Keeping things in perspective, this is a small number of engine failures on a car they sold in small number and which they no longer sell. the public at large has no idea what an S2000 is. Had this been multiple engine failures on the Civic, then yes, they'd certainly be "ducking for cover".
Whilst its a real pain for those affected and I do feel for you all, perspective is the key here.

You actually summed it up pretty well in these posts:
https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__20716890
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/876...t__p__21423391
Old 06-19-2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ' timestamp='1340111300' post='21793474

My point was that Honda will not like this thread making a reappearance. That was all.

But as always on this forum some of the moderators think they know it all. I am happy to report you don't.
Nothing to with being a moderator, other than having kept an eye on the thread and being an interested but fortunately unaffected 3rd party with a balanced view.
  • We've seen claims that some sort of public announcement or acknowledgement on what the problem is would be made by Honda - nothing doing so far.
  • Here's what they do when there really is a problem: http://www.dailymail...ne-failure.html
  • We've seen people suggesting that Watchdog might be interested - nothing doing so far.
  • We've seen Honda dealers replacing engines and parts of engines under warranty, which would be approved by Honda UK but, no-one has posted up any information regarding compensation beyond that or of a free extended warranty.
  • Keeping things in perspective, this is a small number of engine failures on a car they sold in small number and which they no longer sell. the public at large has no idea what an S2000 is. Had this been multiple engine failures on the Civic, then yes, they'd certainly be "ducking for cover".
Whilst its a real pain for those affected and I do feel for you all, perspective is the key here.

You actually summed it up pretty well in these posts:
https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__20716890
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/876...t__p__21423391
Well, it's just the same old same old really. Certainly as far as Honda's commitment to its customers goes. They have avoided the issues exceptionally well in my opinion. The reasons for this have been stated time and time again. Thank you for the links to my previous posts Simon.

However, reading between the lines, it appears some owners with issues (with their cars I hasten to add ) have come to private arrangements with Honda. For whatever reasons the details have not appeared on this forum.

Regards the moderators comment; this was not aimed directly at you. I am aware of a certain degree of politics at work here between the club and Honda. Should anyone choose to re-visit the early pages of the thread I think that will become evident. I understand the reasoning behind this and, to a point, I can understand the justification behind it.

What I would say is that if any owners have a problem with their car then do your research on here and get some facts. But do not expect help and support from "the club".

I chose a more direct route and it worked for me.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Well, it's just the same old same old really. Certainly as far as Honda's commitment to its customers goes. They have avoided the issues exceptionally well in my opinion. The reasons for this have been stated time and time again. Thank you for the links to my previous posts Simon.

However, reading between the lines, it appears some owners with issues (with their cars I hasten to add ) have come to private arrangements with Honda. For whatever reasons the details have not appeared on this forum.

Regards the moderators comment; this was not aimed directly at you. I am aware of a certain degree of politics at work here between the club and Honda. Should anyone choose to re-visit the early pages of the thread I think that will become evident. I understand the reasoning behind this and, to a point, I can understand the justification behind it.

What I would say is that if any owners have a problem with their car then do your research on here and get some facts. But do not expect help and support from "the club".

I chose a more direct route and it worked for me.
Good stuff.

Certainly what the club can do is pretty limited, other than to provide information, given that Honda will not (for pretty sensible commercial reasons) publicly acknowledge a problem.

The best thing to do is to extend the warranty.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 AM

Honda made it clear in our meetings that there would be no free warranties. They simple said they would 'look after' any one who had previously reported problems.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners