UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at it this way; if they had found a problem like this during testing leading up to a new product launch do you think it would have taken them years to fix it?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dredd123
Look at it this way; if they had found a problem like this during testing leading up to a new product launch do you think it would have taken them years to fix it?
As you say, any such problem would surely have been found in prototype testing, had this been on a 'new to the market' product.
A subsequent analysis would have been completed, and the product may have be delayed slightly to remedy the problem prior to launch.

I feel it would be naive to think that Honda have not found the cause (or causes) of the engine failures BUT, all the procrastination has more to do with Honda analysing the effect and cost of compensation/warranty claims which may be forthcoming.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

If Honda ever do bring out another sports throughbred, we ought to get together and buy full page ads in the national/motor press and ask "Will the engine of this new car blow up like the S2000's one?"

Anyone on here friendly with Dominic Little?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

More like Chicken Little & the sky is falling.

HUK is trying damage limitation by making deals with those affected; it may be a comparatively small number of cars and difficult to know precisely which ones are affected.

In the same way Porsche still has a few issues with RMS failure in cars that are STILL in production; you have to deal with a small number of failures accordingly & apparently it's cheaper than doing the job properly.

IIRC, the synchro problem on the Accord box was actually bendy 5th gear selectors; people block shifting without letting the revs drop accordingly (sorry) & stuffing it in was a contributory factor. Later forks were strengthened, but there's no point in replacing every box when many correctly-used boxes will be fine.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly, there's about 20 UK cars affected? Not heard of one failure on the continent and in the states and japan they have the ap2... It really isn't a big deal for them so going all out with callbacks etc is overkill
Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Exactly.

By that reckoning, Ferdinand Piëch should have shot himself (and the Supervisory Committee) in a bunker over all those coil packs & DSG sensors...
Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM

A recall would cost £££

And would be an admission of a manufacturing defect

Better (for Honda) to say they don't know the cause and therefore cannot recall

I can't see this position changing anytime soon (read as never).
Old 04-09-2012, 04:11 AM

I have to agree with Loftus & Gregsterwitz. All Honda have to do is promise to fix any engine that develops the known problem.

I had numerous emails and phone calls with Honda and really didn't get any of the assurances I was seeking. Just warm, empty words and more and more stalling...

Consequently I told Phil Dix exactly what my position was and that they have now lost a 3 car customer for life.
I am replacing my Accord saloon company car (which has also been unreliable) next month with a Skoda Superb, Wife's car (Accord Tourer sold last month) with a Skoda Superb Estate and finally sold our S2000 recently.

I think Phil Dix was actually quite shocked when I told them. Our S2000 wasn't showing any engine noises yet, but I wanted assurances in case it did go wrong and didn't get them. Phil Dix seems a good guy to be fair but his company isn't reacting correctly, (ie Japan acting very secretly) which raises suspicions and deserves dealing with in kind. I gave them a chance to give some assurances (extend warranty, etc) but they didn't offer anything concrete to give me any confidence at all, so I didn't hestitate & took the decision to sell up.

Goodbye Honda and good riddance. You keep treating customers like this and your days are numbered...

It's the poor local dealer I feel sorry for, - they were great & we were their best customer!
Sorry but after this, we will never forgive Honda or trust them again.

Bye & thanks for all the advice everyone, it's a great website, so is the S2k (Prior to 08 anyway...)
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll have a shock when something goes wrong with your Skoda (and it will, because it's a Skoda). My mate has a 08 plate Golf which seems to break down every month and the way he's being treated by VAG dealers is worse than I read here about Honda.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
You'll have a shock when something goes wrong with your Skoda (and it will, because it's a Skoda). My mate has a 08 plate Golf which seems to break down every month and the way he's being treated by VAG dealers is worse than I read here about Honda.
Well, after the issues with the Accord Saloon and general downgrading of the quality from the previous model (Poor paint, DPF failures, Suspension problems, etc, etc) and having had an 09 Superb for a year with no issues, doubt I will be shocked.
Honda look more made down to a price than any other mainstream manufacturer has sunk in recent years.

No wonder they have lost 50% uk market share (since 07) ...

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners