UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-21-2011, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle
Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ' timestamp='1308604903' post='20701956
Can I ask if S2KUK (ie you has contacted/ plan to contact Honda (UK) in relation to this matter ?
Yes there is a plan. Are you a member?
I'm a fully paid up member of S2KUK, so please feel free to divulge the plan
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Originally Posted by AquilaEagle' timestamp='1308639762' post='20703444
[quote name='GREGSTERWIZ' timestamp='1308604903' post='20701956']
Can I ask if S2KUK (ie you has contacted/ plan to contact Honda (UK) in relation to this matter ?
Yes there is a plan. Are you a member?

Your reply seems a bit "cloak and dagger" to me and I see no reason for this

"Plans" are all well and good but are absolutely useless if they are not executed

As an 09 owner I have already sent an email to Steve Dyer at Honda inviting his comments on the issue

Please share your "plan" with everyone else, it isn't top secret is it ?
[/quote]
Not at all cloak and dagger, no. It was a quick post this morning before getting into the office just to acknowledge your post and to say yes there is a plan. It is as follows:

- An email will go out to all S2KUK members (many of whom do not participate on S2KI) advising of the issues experienced, giving Kiteland's advice and asking for any feedback they may have, with the same info that has been gathered here.
- Once we have responses, a letter/email will go to Honda (UK) - Steve Dyer and Matt Gibson. I also propose to ask for a meeting with them to discuss it face to face. (I've met Matt Gibson in person before)
- Depending on the response, the next course of action will be decided, if required S2KUK could write to all dealers advising of the issue and action to take with Honda (UK) to properly diagnose the issue. (I have been made aware of how some dealers have gone about this and had success)
- We may also have the possibility of a contact in Japan, in the R&D department. I have contact with (now retired) Chief engineer and S2000 creator ,Shigeru Uehara, and the 3 other S2000 project leaders (all 4 of whom I have also met personally)
- if all else fails then potentially contacting Takeo Fukui - The President and Chief Executive Officer of Honda in Japan.

Clearly this will take time and effort, and I thank everyone who has contributed so far for their support. We'd welcome anyone to volunteer to help with the following up of emails etc, and to help representing the club.

One thing that may also be of use is a quick summary of which dealers people have contacted, the response, and if Honda (UK) involved, who and their response too. It would be good to try and get this into a spreadsheet format - this could possibly be done using an open google docs spreadsheet.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 AM

I am willing to assist with collating information - I love a good spreadsheet

Honda Westgate Grimsby are well aware of the problems having had contact with the Honda Technical Department. They have also read various threads on here after I sent them an email containing all the info.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM

Ian, fair enough, certainly sounds like a plan

I appreciate that things can take time but, for the moment, we have deatails of about 20 engines (both original and replacement) that have failed in 09 cars

The number of failed engines will, I suspect, be much higher as not everyone who owns an S2000 will visit the forum or be aware of any potential issues on the cars

Engine failures can happen to any car but the number of failures compared to the number of 2009 S2000's on the road is what concerns me

I would estimate there are no more than 250 - 300 09 plate cars in the country

My issue is that I bought my S2000 to keep, it's my second and it is cherished, as are all of my cars

I do not want it p1ssed about with by dealers who do not share my passion for the car (or cars in general) and I have no desire to have them perform engine transplants if this can be avoided

If Honda have fecked up (and the information available says they have) I want them to acknowledge the fact, deal with it appropriately and not ignore the issue, which appears to be Honda (UK)'s current stance

Thanks for your reply

PS; I hope the President and CEO of Honda does not have the same attitude that Honda (UK) are displaying at the moment and does not do as his name suggests; i.e. Takeo (your money and) Fuk-u-i
Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 AM
jsh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank's Ian for getting the ball rolling .

I have been in contact with my local dealer ( who know's nothing about this issue but also admit's they see very few S2000's )

Have also been in contact with bristol Honda - as I beleive they have dealt with a few failure's - and have not had the promised return call .

Have also e-mailed Honda UK and had no response !

All in an effort to find out what is actually going wrong with these engine's .

Although mine is not making strange noise's it has ( like many other's ) only 1 yr left on the warranty and I do not want Honda to get away with fitting cheap component's that fail prematurely .

Neither do I want thrust washer's or any other bit's breaking up and sending metal filing's around my engine ! I want these defective part's replaced before they breakup . Which mean's Honda must own up to their penny pinching way's and admit their mistake .

Many of these car's do a low mileage and mine also is a cherished vehicle and will not be sold on .

Thank's too all those who have contributed so far .

Regard's John .
Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 AM

FYI I rang Bristol Honda Brislington today to try and get some info to share with Chiswick Honda (theyre seeing my 09 on Thursday). The young lady in Services was sure theyd replaced just 1 engine and not 5. She did appear to check with her supervisor and was genuinely confident in her statement (she professed to have worked at Causeway too). I dont know if Bristol HOnda Causeway are the guys with the 5 engine experience. Tricky exercise isnt it, we need name, rank and phone number going forward.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Tallville, speak to Alasdair at Bristol Honda, Cribbs.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is shocking,If honda would just get their heads from up their arses then some of us may be able to take preventative measures.Ive got a supercharger fitted to mine so if it goes bang its scrap.If I knew what the problem was I would do the work myself to save all the messing about.I am afraid that if I was on my third engine somebody at Honda would be trying to extract my car from up their arse.Suzuki had a problem with the Hayabusa where the rear subframe under certain circumstances was collapsing,with potentially fatal results and they were so blaza about it it was unbelievable.
How difficult a job would it be to have a look inside a failed engine?because if or when my engine lets go I will have a look and let everybody know what I find.If this is thrust bearings,which has been suggested,why not tell us?I cant imagine how little my 5000 mile prestine car is worth after all this crap.
My car will be sorted without question but that may involve fitting a low mileage 07 engine..How bad is that?
I did fit the supercharger knowing of the problems so its my own fault but that doesnt make it any easier.I love the car and will still love it if I have to fit another engine.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
This is shocking,If honda would just get their heads from up their arses then some of us may be able to take preventative measures.Ive got a supercharger fitted to mine so if it goes bang its scrap.If I knew what the problem was I would do the work myself to save all the messing about.I am afraid that if I was on my third engine somebody at Honda would be trying to extract my car from up their arse.Suzuki had a problem with the Hayabusa where the rear subframe under certain circumstances was collapsing,with potentially fatal results and they were so blaza about it it was unbelievable.
How difficult a job would it be to have a look inside a failed engine?because if or when my engine lets go I will have a look and let everybody know what I find.If this is thrust bearings,which has been suggested,why not tell us?I cant imagine how little my 5000 mile prestine car is worth after all this crap.
My car will be sorted without question but that may involve fitting a low mileage 07 engine..How bad is that?
I did fit the supercharger knowing of the problems so its my own fault but that doesnt make it any easier.I love the car and will still love it if I have to fit another engine.
I think another issue, just to add fuel to the fire, is whether it is actually a problem with the thrust washers

Thrust washers CAN fail, but they can also be damaged and wear as a secondary issue to another failed (or failing) component

For example, a misaligned throwout bearing, poor crankshaft surface finish, etc. etc.

Until Honda come clean we will never know (IF that ever happens) however it seems to solve the problem (for now)

Sorry to sound so pessimistic
Old 06-22-2011, 08:30 AM

I've emailed my contact at Honda UK today. I deal with him through work and am unsure as to what he can actually do but I've asked him to raise it with Customer Service and point them to this thread. It would be nice if they realised that we aren't stupid and we do talk to one another.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners