UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Roughly 1,000 sold each year, maybe 20-30 affected, so 2-3%.

If the car has gone on this long without any sign of a problem, then it's probably ok. But buy a warranty.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really? Those odds I could have lived with.

I thought I read somewhere in the thread that 11 out 88 members cars were effected.

Now really regretting my decision!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 AM

It is a very small number of owners that we know are affected.

It's up to you what you do but I've got 41k on the clock and despite having a new gear box which has sorted out any noises that I had, I haven't got the engine knock or rattle. I think it's fair to say that if I was going to develop the problem, I think in the last spirited 41000 miles, it might have happened!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:13 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Slight edit to the above, Wiki has 709 cars in 2008, 680 in 2009, with a further 20 late registrations in 2010, so 1409 in all in the UK and Europe, with F20C engines.

If it's 30 cars, which is probably a bit high, it's 2%.

Bear in mind that all problems get exaggerated on internet forums.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

People don't mention if they don't have problems, generally.

Bucket stats from above; it's between 2 & 13%. So there's roughly an 87% chance you'll be fine. Knowing my luck, however...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Would the forum be aware of issues with European cars? Can you really take the known UK failures and compare them to cars supplied in the whole of Europe?

There is a vast difference between a 2% and a 13% failure rate. Less than 5% I can probably live with. I don't suppose Honda has offered up any info that can be broadcast on an open forum?

If an engine was replaced under warrantee would that crucify the resale value?

I'm thinking of jumping back in again...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Bestman - We know of no European issues like this, but the number of cars over there is very small.

I forgot to post up about my meeting with Honda recently - I will dig out my notes and post up ASAP
Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Here is a précis of my meeting with Honda UK - along the same lines as BoM, not everything is written here, but there is detailed information they are willing to discuss with affected owners specifically.

They have assured me that everyone who can be involved with the project is and that they are working flat out towards a resolution, the MD of Honda UK has been involved, and is getting weekly updates. They were unable to go into great detail of the investigation but I was convinced the factory/R&D are involved and that they were working on 2 different S2000s that are ideal evaluation cars. One of those cars is actually from a member of staff at Honda UK which has had symptoms.

I asked them about warranties, I pushed for them to provide a "factory extension" (Which is where an extension to warranty is issued by Japan, rather than anything of goodwill by the UK. I was told at this stage extensions have not yet been put in place. (However I do not think they have ruled this out). I am very confident that they are working on the fix to the issue(s) identified in the small number of 09 (actually MY08) engines, so this can be put in place, rather than keeping extending warranties.

I will be catching up for another update at the end of March/beginning April, unless I hear anything further before then.

If you are, or think you may be experiencing similar problems, please get in touch with Phil Dix - he encourages anyone with issues to do so, and is extremely helpful. He entirely understands the "human" element of this, and the importance of maintaining Honda's brand reputation.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trotter
Just to echo what BoM said, I got in touch with HUK following advice from AE and Kiteland, to register my concern about what may happen in the future, even though my car seems to be ok.
The reply was quite comprehensive and reassuring, however I won't go into detail here.
Would recommend anybody with any worries to get in touch with HUK and get the concerns registered with them now.
I really want to keep our S for some years and as it will be 3 years old in April so I'm looking at the extended warranty to ease any doubts and quieten every noise I hear, who do you suggest I contact at HUK(pm me if you'd rather) and thanks for the positive vibes people, here's to many more happy years in the car.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 AM

Thanks very much for the info, especially AquilaEagle.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners