UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would echo what Ian said. Get in touch with Phil. Unlike the last person that sat in that seat, Phil is willing to communicate.

We didn't get to speak today but hopefully tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Despite the communication, no one is any further forward than when this all began - other than the cars have new engines and will continue to be fixed until the end of the warranty. I think that's all you'll ever get.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
P 1

with AE and BoM
As an owner with an affected car I have been in contact with HUK and I am fully satisfied now that Honda are actively working towards a solution. I am sure that Honda will be taking care of affected owners and I know they are aware of the need to look at warranties.
As Ian says, if your car is affected, contact Phil Dix if you have not already done so.
Uninformed speculation on here is not really of any help.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Despite the communication, no one is any further forward than when this all began - other than the cars have new engines and will continue to be fixed until the end of the warranty. I think that's all you'll ever get.
That's the problem isn't it?

Many people have the warranty running out now...
Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM

Which ( in my mind ) is what Honda will have been hoping for all along. Only another 12 months to go.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:40 AM

Which ( in my mind ) is what Honda will have been hoping for all along. Only another 12 months to go.
Sadly UF, much sooner than that. I understand Sept is the last of the GT100's.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 AM

Ouch - if it was me .... i'd take out the extended warranty and USE the car for as long as it's economically viable to keep on the road. If that means one engine a year, so be it. Sadly resale value will never recover.

Admittedly you'll have lost more on your car than I paid for mine but even though i've had it 2.5 years I still can't find anything I WANT to replace it with that doesn't cost more to buy or more to run.

I really hope Honda come clean but I just don't see it.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:46 AM

The last cars were registered in June 09 so only 4 months to go

As far as identifying a common failure mode goes I find it very difficult to believe that a company such as Honda cannot identify the cause

Engines aren't that complicated and none of the affected engines exploded or imploded their internals IIRC

Apologies to any affected owners if I appear cynical but the fact is you are 6 months further down the line and absolutely nothing has changed
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 AM

My car was registered in May 2009. Mine is a very strange case however......... going back 6 months it was making a real racket, a very noticeable rattle heard and documented by 2 different Honda dealers.

It has now covered 27k and had it's third service approximately 3000 miles ago. Ever since the third service the noise (touch wood) has completely disapeared adn the car drives like a dream!!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
The last cars were registered in June 09 so only 4 months to go
As far as identifying a common failure mode goes I find it very difficult to believe that a company such as Honda cannot identify the cause
Engines aren't that complicated and none of the affected engines exploded or imploded their internals IIRC
Apologies to any affected owners if I appear cynical but the fact is you are 6 months further down the line and absolutely nothing has changed
As an 09 owner I have to agree with the above,even if they could not identify the cause some sort of contact action to owners would have been a sign of action on their goodwill, so I'm in two minds at the moment, whether to move on, or extend the warranty(as I would have done regardless) and hopefully enjoy a problem free car for years to come as planned.

I did hear a noise yesterday that worried me a bit and then thought f*ck it, if it goes bang it is still their problem, thankfully the noise went away.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners