UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

OT but it makes a great track car. I've taken mine to Spa / Ring / Donny etc etc and it's great with a few tweaks

Just imo but I wouldn't touch an 08/09 with a long pole. I'd find the lowest mileage non VSA car.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:44 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

What he said - there's some very low mileage garage queens from late 2006/7 that really aren't fetching much of a premium over newer higher mileage stuff and that VSA module is a well documented pain. Yes there's a fair bit of chat in the 25 pages here but there's also some excellent information too.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, the upshot is; Honda has been rather busy with rebuilding its Tochigi R&D centre and its lacklustre/end of cycle product range & has been unable to determine what the solution to the engine issue is so far.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am waiting for an update as I couldn't attend the last meeting with Kiteland. I believe they are on with it but the problem is the warranties have less than six months to go.

If the offer of an extended warranty isn't forthcoming, then I have a couple of options and the end result of all of them is that car goes.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably time for me to post. I’ve spoken to some people off line but given I started this thread time to post my final update.

I had a meeting with HUK before Christmas and they continue to make positive noises re investigations and solutions being forthcoming. They are fully aware that there are a lot of 08/09 owners out there who were like me and waiting on something definite with regard to a fix and a position statement re warranties. I have no doubt that HUK want a resolution as much as owners do.

I know HUK are talking to many other owners on 1:1 basis. I still believe a solution will come, but in the end, for me; the timescales involved were too long so I had conversation with my dealer and sold the car to them.

It’s an outcome of sorts – I’d much preferred to have kept a non rattling S2000 but for me it was a weekend car and you don’t get that many sunny weekends so it was time to move on.

I am currently testing driving other “weekend” 2 seater cars.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 AM

Need a co-pilot
Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any time CJ
Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm hoping for an update from Honda UK sometime this week, if we can organise it a meeting close to my home (The guy dealing with things is fairly local to me).

I'd echo Kiteland's comments re being confident there will be a fix and owners sorted. The key concern I have/am driving with them is warranty, given that 3 years is almost up for many. I know they are working on things and I really hope to have further information to share this week.

As I have further information I will post it.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks for the updates guys/girls. Nearing the time to decide re warranty extension.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle
I'm hoping for an update from Honda UK sometime this week, if we can organise it a meeting close to my home (The guy dealing with things is fairly local to me).

The key concern I have/am driving with them is warranty, given that 3 years is almost up for many.

That's a very good point indeed, Honda need to understand that due to that fact there is strong onus on them to up the urgency on this otherwise owners may choose to sell to get rid. Speaking as someone who owns an 09 car (fine so far) but who's Honda Accord company car is also having reliability problems at present, I am less than impressed by the way this manufacturer is treating loyal customers.
Our household has 3 Hondas! But there will be no more unless we see some positive action soon...I read in Autocar last week that Honda sales in UK dropped 50% since 2007, and I have to say now that due to reliability I am unlikely to recommend in future. They have been sitting back on past glories / laurels for much too long. HUK - are you listening ???

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners