UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To correct my typo and add another owner that has contacted me

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Gaspode F20C2 1090153 failed at 8k

Bokkie (on 3rd engine) F20C2 1080571 failed at 10k, F20C2 01009009 failed at 10k

S2kstar (on 3rd engine) F20C2 1080786 mileage unknown, F20C2 0109067 mileage unknown

Elijah (on 3rd engine) F20C2 1080681 failed at 9k, F20C2 0108020 failed at 22k

Longpig (on 3rd engine) F20C2 1080828 failed at 7k, F20C2 0109052 failed at 9k

Neil engine number unknown failed at 19k

Kiteland (crankshaft thrust washers replaced) Engine number to TBC failed at 2.5k

Anonymous_1 via Kiteland; Owner not aware of what fix applied.

Another car is currently at Southport Honda having an engine replacement (posted by S2knut), failed at 19k

Another car was at Kiteland's dealer having an engine replacement while his was there, failed at mileage mid teens

I have spoken to Bristol Honda who confirmed they have performed engine replacements on 5 cars

Mileage quoted is on the engine and not on the car

P1; car being investigated

Gregsterwiz; car being investigated

Anonymous_2 via Kiteland; car being investigated - mileage mid teens.

Bundle of Mayhem - repeated noise investigated similar to that reported by everyone else. Back box replaced Sept 2010, same issue. Engine No: F20C21090188. Current mileage 33k

Anonymous_3 via Kiteland; car being investigated - mileage 20K
Old 06-20-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AE, can you please amend Longpig's second engine number to F20C2 0109052 and tidy the post a bit

I misquoted it on my original post and duplicated it with Elijah's second engine

I have edited my original post but it keeps appearing as my post is added to

If this information is used by anyone I would like it to be accurate
Old 06-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Sure can Greg, which post? Is Kiteland's above correct?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle
Sure can Greg, which post? Is Kiteland's above correct?
Witchcraft !! yes, Kitelands last post is correct now, thanks

Can I ask if S2KUK (ie you has contacted/ plan to contact Honda (UK) in relation to this matter ?

It is all well and good posting issues on here and quoting failed engine numbers, etc but if no action is taken direct with the manufacturer then it's all a bit pointless

I have sent an email to Steve Dyer today and I am yet to receive a reply (I'm not holding my breath)

You will notice that some of the cars listed in my post suffered a failure of the replacement engine, ie people who remained on the forum posted about a second failure (Bokkie, s2kstar, elijah, longpig)

If my car needs an engine I will not be happy

If a replacement engine fails I will be absolutely livid and I will pursue that matter using whatever methods I deem fit

In short, we need to know that Honda have identified the issue and have dealt with it

They also need to inform the dealers about what has happened to some cars and what the "fix" is

I would advise all concerned owners to contact Honda (UK) direct

And if S2KUK will do the same on behalf of the owners then that would be all the better
Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

I really need to go and have a listen to my engine, stuck about 1k miles in the last fortnight at 9.5k now, but, worried if I hear anything I'll be banging my head off the dealers wall for a while, or heading down to someone who knows what it is all about. ........................Must be brave, must be brave.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:19 PM

I can confirm that as of today (20/06/11) Honda UK are still not accepting that there is a an issue with 09 cars. I went to my local garage today (Chester Honda) and have booked my car in for this Wednesday to have the diagnostics. The master tech there phoned Honda whilst I was waiting and then returned and told me there were no know issues with the cars!!!

I have sent emails to 3 people at Honda UK and their only response was that I must take my car to my local dealer, which I am doing.

The technician at the garage listened to my car today when I called in and confirmed he had heard the noise, he thought it sounded like 'tappets'!

I REALLY REALLY hope I get somewhere with this, the noise seems to be getting louder and more noticeable all the time.

Im also concerned because my local garage hasn't performed these reapirs before. Should that worry me?

Thanks to Kiteland for all his help!!!

Tom
Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Can I ask if S2KUK (ie you has contacted/ plan to contact Honda (UK) in relation to this matter ?
Yes there is a plan. Are you a member?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked my dealer in have a listen at my recent service and they reported the noise I can hear was 'normal' for the S2000. There is a definite 'noise' from the engine that sounds a bit 'tappety' but the clip I heard on here before was much more obvious and 'deeper' in tone.

Anyone in the SW with similar concerns that wants to meet up and take a look for me? A second opinion would be most useful.

For those who has suffered an engine failure, (or 2!!) and still not satisfied with a fix, I would be looking to reject the car as they cannot fix the issue, or offer a seriously extended warranty on the engine for peace of mind. I would expect a honda sealed unit to last a min 60k if serviced as per the recommendations irrespective of age.

If after 3.5 years, my engine goes bang with what will likely be around 20k on the clock, I will be going back to HUK for a warranty claim.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:00 AM

I have the tappety sound too

I'm going to Chiswick Honda on Thursday,I'll let you know what they say.

I'm already on Kitelands list so don't double count me
Old 06-21-2011, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle
Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ' timestamp='1308604903' post='20701956
Yes there is a plan. Are you a member?

Your reply seems a bit "cloak and dagger" to me and I see no reason for this

"Plans" are all well and good but are absolutely useless if they are not executed

As an 09 owner I have already sent an email to Steve Dyer at Honda inviting his comments on the issue

My car is being investigated .....

As far as this forum is concerned I have compiled a list of failed engine numbers which have appeared on the forum

Hopefully this will assist any concerned owners

Please share your "plan" with everyone else, it isn't top secret is it ?

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners