UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i have just bought a 2008 08 s2000 will this engine have the 09 plate engine troubles??
Old 10-29-2011, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All 2009 cars are MY 08 but that doesn't mean you will have the noises some others do.

Are you aware of any out of the ordinary noises that you are concerned about? If you dont then I'd just drive the car and enjoy it. If you have the infmaous tapping then have a word with your dealer.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Following on from a previous posting I had a meeting with HUK a few days ago. This is a follow up to discussions re the noise on my car and previous meetings Ian, CJ (Bundle of Mayhem) and I have had with them.

They advise that investigation have moved on and wanted to reassure owners that Honda and all associated parties continue to take this investigation very seriously. As before they explained that they were hampered by what they can (would) say to owners while an investigation was on going. Also should/when/if any remedial action be required this would need to be tested over a number of months before it was applied to cars.

They did make a comment that their data on engines with noise did not point to an issue on all cars or cars at a certain mileage. I do know from HUK and speaking to others that several cars have been back to HUK to aid investigation. Also to put at rest comments others have made; I have a 100% guarantee that engines have been back to the factory and have been stripped down to aid investigations. That said, they would not share what these investigations had shown.

Given the ages of the cars involved I did press HUK on what they intended to do with regard to cars approaching end of warranty and they gave an assurance that this was already part of their internal discussions and they would continue to support owners while investigations were ongoing. To back this up I know of at least one 2008 owners where the car developed a noise post manufactures warranty and HUK have authorised diagnostic work on the car at no cost to the owner. Clearly this is the right thing to do, but it is nice to see HUK standing by their product and what they have told me they would do. As before any owner having a less than perfect experience with their dealer then please PM me and I will do what I can to help.

I know this isn’t 100% positive news but it continues to be step in the right direction and everything I have seen in the last few months reinforces that fact that Honda see this issue as major reputational issue on one of their flagship cars, the fact that the S2000 is out of production does not factor in on their resolve to get cars back on the road, without any unwanted noises.

As before if you think you have a rattle on your car then pop into your dealer and get it registered. If you don’t have a rattle then enjoy the car.

They have promised another update in the next 4-5 weeks and I will post again then or before if there I hear anything more.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks kiteland for your update.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by martin j
Thanks kiteland for your update.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the update and thank you for your continued efforts. Hope you get your S back on the road soon (well at least in time for Summer 2012 )
Old 11-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

thanks so much kitey
Old 11-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the update Peter

Unfortunately very little has changed over the past few months despite what Honda say

A simple solution would be as follows; Honda could buy back one of the affected cars. There are a few to choose from. Find out what is wrong with it. Case closed.

Engines really aren't that complicated

This makes much more sense to me than dyno testing engines in Japan which may not be defective

I doubt Honda will ever admit to a serious manufacturing defect. It will damage their reputation too much in my opinion.

Residuals are already on the slide. I've seen mint, low mileage 09 S2000's for sub £14k.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Thanks for the update Peter

Unfortunately very little has changed over the past few months despite what Honda say

A simple solution would be as follows; Honda could buy back one of the affected cars. There are a few to choose from. Find out what is wrong with it. Case closed.

Engines really aren't that complicated

This makes much more sense to me than dyno testing engines in Japan which may not be defective

I doubt Honda will ever admit to a serious manufacturing defect. It will damage their reputation too much in my opinion.

Residuals are already on the slide. I've seen mint, low mileage 09 S2000's for sub £14k.

Not sure I fully agree though

Several cars have been back to Honda and engines back to the factory. If there was a quick solution I am sure Honda would be as eager as any owner to get to a "fix" to for the noises.

I do agree that the hit on residuals is not good at all as is the impact on repeat business for them. Honda have been very clear that this is a major reputational issue for them and they are taking this very seriously. The rattle issue has been well documented and many owners have "open" warranty claims on their cars. This recent update has prompted a couple more PMs from owners who have cars with the 2.5-3k RPM rattle and are taking their cars in for inspection.

What we need now is a explanation/solution and this is taking time. There is no benefit to Honda by this taking longer than necessary. I am confident that a soluton will come as the issue isn't going away.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:17 AM

After meeting with them and talking about the issues and subsequent meetings that Pete has gone to that, I feel confident that they will resolve the issue. They have also definitely learnt not to ignore owners clubs. Whilst this doesn't help us 09 owners right now, it will help future owners.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners