UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello mate. Orange is the future and the future is bright.

I just couldn't bring myself to drive a called an "RS Raider" as per your link

I'll stick with the David Dickinson look
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Tallville
Attention seeker

Did you see this from Renault ?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=24444
I thought you meant the Renault R8! I can never understand why BoM loves them so much.

Oh, their belated revenge for the Toyota MR2 & the Acura RSX.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little bit of info for you guys and gals - well at least those of you who don't already know it/haven't heard it from directly involved senior/affected forum members.

Just spoke to Honda guy - VERY well connected inside HUK and very knowledgable about this issue.

Honda are currently looking at two possibilities: 1) engine production problem and/or 2) oil degradation issue (front end of crank is last place to get oil on its circulation path throughout the engine).

Since engine production for 08/09 cars remained same as for all previous years and all engines made by Honda at same plant/s, with same bits and in the same way, 1) is adjudged extremely unlikely.

As such, 2) is the current 'favourite'. HUK are thinking maybe a bad batch of oil in the MY08/09 engines concerned setting up premature wear.

HUK are currently running several new S2K engines at 8500rpm for 70 hours under load/on dyno/s (powering lighting!), then changing oil and running similarly for another 70hrs and then changing oil and filter. They are basically trying to get an engine to let go (albeit with good oil) and have thus far failed to so do (even after tried an occasional flushing of a still-hot just-drained engine with ice cold water between oil changes!).

It's distinctly possible that further to identifying a problem HUK will extend warranty to 7 years on MY08/09 cars.

Don't want to name the guy I spoke to: not because he asked me not to name him; just that I didn't ask him if I could quote him. A such, please take the above with whatever pinch of salt you deem appropriate. All I'm trying to do is to disseminate what I consider to be some good info to concerned owners.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

An extension to the warranty would be nice but if they(Honda) could identify the problem and then also extend the warranty it would be really nice, we will wait and see although not holding my breath.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:45 AM
jsh

The dodgy oil is interesting as I went fully synthetic at 3ooo mls not 6000 as recommended and change my oil every 6 months/3000 mls .
Old 10-08-2011, 05:51 AM

We changed the oil at 1000 miles
Old 10-08-2011, 07:59 AM

If it was dodgy oil then why are alot of the replacement engines fitted by dealers also failing ?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by p800bry
If it was dodgy oil then why are alot of the replacement engines fitted by dealers also failing ?
Good question. And one I put to the guy I spoke to - he wasn't aware of any owners having had multiple engine failures on MY 08/09 cars but I did tell him that I knew of at least one here on this forum. Also re BoM's point above, I hear you too; but I really don't have any more to add I'm afraid: maybe the bad oil does it's damage more effectively/quickly in the all important first 1000 miles?

Hopefully forum seniors such as AE and Kiteland will soon weigh in with some far better 'straight from the H(UK)orse's mouth' data/input rather than my more unofficial contribution above (-:

Mike
Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 AM

Forum seniors Makes me feel old

I've got nothing more to add to the speculation although the tests outlined seem sensible – hook an engine up to a dynamo to replicated load and several years usage and monitor what happens . I expect they will also do this with any parts that are replaced. Ths all adds to the timeframe to get to a solution.

I would also expect HUK would have to factor in some form of extended (limited?) warranty should they come to a solution where components need to be swapped out on owners cars.

I do know there is much on going activity and they have agreed to feedback again at the end of this month. If I hear anything else in the meantime I will post. HUK also keep an eye on S2ki so I expect they will see this update from one of their own soon enough.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:10 AM
jsh

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
We changed the oil at 1000 miles
Well that was a small glimmer of hope quickly dashed

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners