UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 10-03-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to update owners I had another meeting with HUK last Friday this was a scheduled follow on from the earlier meeting CJ and I had with them on 2nd September.

What happened? HUK explained the wealth of information gathering that they are undertaking to get to a root cause (or causes) to what is causing the engine and occasional gearbox issues on some owners car. From what I can gather they have looked at every S2000 warranty claim to identify patterns or common trends. For thoroughness this has not been restricted solely to 08/09 cars.

All of this information is part of an ongoing dialogue with HJP. Parts have gone back to HJP and cars have been examined here in the UK either at HUK or out at dealers.

Clearly they weren’t going to show me any of this information/data but what was quite telling was that they are also sensitive to the reputational/brand damage and this was part of their internal discussions.

When we met before I was assured that this was being taken very seriously by HUK and I have no doubt, having met them again, that the issue is being investigated at appropriate level in HJP, Honda Europe and HUK. I am assured that there is some real momentum and resource behind this investigation now.

What’s next?

For me – I am sticking with this for the time being. On a reputational basis alone Honda need to resolve or explain the uncharacteristic noises and problems on some of our cars. Based on the assurance I have been given I am confident that this will be resolved. The downside is timescales – but I again I assured Honda are moving as quickly as possible.

As I said before for any owners out there with concerns with engine rattles like mine or gearbox whines like CJ’s I suggest that you pop into your dealer and ask them to listen to your car. This will hopefully put minds at rest that it’s a normal noise for the car or if appropriate ensure your car is investigated further and get a warranty claim “opened”.

I had a few PMs from owners out there that feel that have been fobbed off by dealers – internet paranoia being suggested by some dealers If anyone feels that their dealer isn’t taking their concerns seriously then please feel free to drop me an PM and I’m happy to chat off line.

To continue the dialogue HUK have suggested meeting again at the end of this month and I’ll post again after that meeting or if anything changes in the mean time.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiteland
To continue the dialogue HUK have suggested meeting again at the end of this month
While you are there can you ask them how they are getting on with the seized suspension bush problem that we reported to them years ago ......

Old 10-03-2011, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update Pete. I too feel that after meeting with them that they are finally making a step in the right direction and starting to listen to us owners rather than just fob us off. Whilst I can still hear the original grating noise on my car, the new gear box is making a huge difference and I love driving her again. I will be sticking with this car for a little while longer
Old 10-04-2011, 05:02 AM
P 1

Thanks for the update Peter.
It is now a full 12 months since I first took my car to my dealer with its engine rattle.
In view of the feedback from your meetings I'm remaining patient and still have some faith that Honda will resolve this as quickly as possible
An indication from Honda of likely timescales at some stage would be helpful as my car is now off the road pending a fix.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 AM

Peter, thanks for the update

The thing is though, nothing has progressed much over the past few months. And that is down to Honda, nobody else.

The bottom end of engines really aren't complicated and as the engines are not imploding or exploding the root cause really shouldn't be hard to find, especially for an organisation such as Honda.

I admire your passion for the S2000 and your determination to try and get your car sorted

Regrettably, I am no longer an S2000 owner. For me, the hassle associated with engine transplants (possibly multiple) and listening to a ticking bomb whilst driving along was killing the ownership experience

I enjoyed 7 happy years of S2000 ownership and I still love these cars dearly, I may return to the fold in the future. I would need to source an older, mint, minimal mileage, cherished example. The last cars just aren't worth the risk IMO.

I wish you (and all other affected owners) every success in getting your issues sorted. I'll be lurking and watching with interest.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 AM

Sorry to see you sold up – but in a way I don’t blame you.

For me there has been some progress over the last few months and I expect there is much more that HUK understandably don’t want to share until they have absolute clarity on a way forward. As I have said before I am sure they are taking this very situation very seriously and if they had a solution I am sure they would roll it out ASAP. There is much to be lost in dragging this out.

The big thing for is the change of personnel at HUK and the change of approach where they are happy to talk to owners and S2KUK. Not that long ago there was no dialogue other than on an individual basis. We are now are in a position where centrally collated information from owners is welcomed. HUK have spoken direct to AE, CJ and me knowing full well that we will post everything that has been said. I also think the dealer approach is becoming more consistent and where it isn’t I have seen cases where HUK have stepped in.

We cant turn Back the clock on what went on before.

I am in a similar position to P1 where my rattle was first reported to HUK almost 1 year ago. Rest assured although I am positive I have also had some tough love conversation with HUK that although I am a S2000 enthusiast there comes a point where if progress stops them I would also would move on. We haven’t reached that point. I am confident that a solution will be found.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 AM

It is taking longer than we had all hoped but I agree that the change in staff within HUK has been a positive one and Phil Dix has shown that he has legs and can get from behind his desk and not hide behind emails or the phone and is willing to meet the owners.

These meetings with the owners and actually having someone take ownership of the problem has meant that it has gone from two years in the back of someone's filing cabinet to an upfront 'lets deal with this problem'.

I've decided to stick with the S come hell or high water but that's only because I can't afford an R8 and that blooming Phil Dix at HUK knows that
Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 AM

R8
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM

For what it's worth I suspect Honda skimped on the last engines and didn't re-tool the production line with only a few units left until the end of production

Hence it will be hit and miss whether or not you get a correctly manufactured engine

The costs involved to sort the problems (ie produce more engines which can be guaranteed) will be stratospheric and I doubt Honda will want to do that

IMO engines will be out-sourced and reconditioned to sort the issues. Nothing wrong with that depending on your view point. Just not what I would want.

And I don't like dealers pissing about with my cars. But you probably knew that.

For the time being I'm driving a very bright and very mint Focus ST. I've started to hit the sunbeds so I can blend in with the colour. Not quite the same driving experience as the S2000 but I needed an ASBO to go with my tag. And the fecker drinks like Oliver Reed and George Best. Together, on a stag do. Good car for what it is but we'll see if it's a keeper.......................
Old 10-04-2011, 09:57 AM

Attention seeker

Did you see this from Renault ?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=24444

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners