UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update..... spoke to the Service Manager today and he advised a new gearbox is winging its way to them from Belgium. They flushed the gearbox as requested by HUK but as expected that made no difference so they stripped the gearbox and found (technical bit!) the tapered bearings were marked and instead of being shiny were dull.

Because of previous dealer saying no fault found (gearbox never stripped before) this dealer sent photos of the bearings and so gearbox authorised this time.

Hoping to get pick her up this weekend and only hear the noises that an S should make!

So pleased I ditched my local stealer and went to this one.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Brilliant news; failure of case hardening the rollers, possibly.

It sounds an odd sort of good news, but 1. it's a clear indication it was the bearings and 2. others have reported bearing issues here & there.

Only Honda will be able to ascertain what changed to make whatever suddenly go out of spec., but it's a start.

As stated hertofore, it might take a bit of analysis to find out the same regarding the engines.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 AM

I'm hoping that the metallic noise I have complained of for a while was the start of this and it grew into the whine.

Time will tell.....
Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM

...Another one bites the dust!! Engine number F20C-1090197. Failed at 19k. Replaced with absolutely no arguments from HUK after the dealer sent them a picture of the hole in the engine case left by failure of a con-rod. Here is the really interesting part...It threw it's toy's out of the pram with absolutely no warning. I was well aware of the death rattle/noise issues so would have easily spotted unusual noises. Now the really disappointing part...Replacement engine fitted, has aged 2.5k and recently heard the whining/rattle for second time (sounds similar to loose exhaust heatshield). Appears only between 60-70mph. Back to dealer - they fix it and don't disclose exactly what it was but inform me 'that a part was loose so they tightened up the slack bolts'(?) The car hadn't even covered 300 miles when the noise first surfaced! Whilst they were at it they were instructed to replace the gearbox shaft gaiter as I had spotted excessive play, when I investigated I found that they had split it when carrying out the engine transplant but deemed a little piece of insulating tape around the split was a perfectly acceptable fix! Bar-stewards!.. Anyway, the rattle has now surfaced again!! Only happens when at said speed and when under any load (even slight) - If I come off the gas and coast or slip into neutral the noise disappears. I'll post an update when I get round to getting it back into the dealer (most probably not the same one - I don't fancy chewing gum being used as an engine mount!!)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 PM

sorry to hear that but glad you got a quick resolution to start with.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scunner
...Another one bites the dust!! Engine number F20C-1090197. Failed at 19k. Replaced with absolutely no arguments from HUK after the dealer sent them a picture of the hole in the engine case left by failure of a con-rod. Here is the really interesting part...It threw it's toy's out of the pram with absolutely no warning. I was well aware of the death rattle/noise issues so would have easily spotted unusual noises. Now the really disappointing part...Replacement engine fitted, has aged 2.5k and recently heard the whining/rattle for second time (sounds similar to loose exhaust heatshield). Appears only between 60-70mph. Back to dealer - they fix it and don't disclose exactly what it was but inform me 'that a part was loose so they tightened up the slack bolts'(?) The car hadn't even covered 300 miles when the noise first surfaced! Whilst they were at it they were instructed to replace the gearbox shaft gaiter as I had spotted excessive play, when I investigated I found that they had split it when carrying out the engine transplant but deemed a little piece of insulating tape around the split was a perfectly acceptable fix! Bar-stewards!.. Anyway, the rattle has now surfaced again!! Only happens when at said speed and when under any load (even slight) - If I come off the gas and coast or slip into neutral the noise disappears. I'll post an update when I get round to getting it back into the dealer (most probably not the same one - I don't fancy chewing gum being used as an engine mount!!)
Scunner,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Am I correct in assuming your forum nickname means you are from around sunny Scunny?! If so, is your local dealer with whom you are justifiably less than impressed at Grimsby?? If not, where?

I'm up at Whitby and one of the cars on my possible list is at Grimsby.

Cheers and good luck getting the car sorted.

Mike
Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by 98RON
Scunner,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Am I correct in assuming your forum nickname means you are from around sunny Scunny?! If so, is your local dealer with whom you are justifiably less than impressed at Grimsby?? If not, where?

I'm up at Whitby and one of the cars on my possible list is at Grimsby.

Cheers and good luck getting the car sorted.

Mike
Good afternoon Mike, No, I am not in Sc@#thorpe, I reside in North Lanarkshire, near Glasgow, Scotland. 'Scunner' is my nickname due to my surname of Campbell. The dealer is one of the big boys in Glasgow, they have quite a few dealerships in Scotland, one of the other forum members who also shares the same dealer has the same impressions of their standard! He was not impressed when they failed to spot that this discs had badly corroded and braking efficiency was reduced considerably! I have had an issue with them in the past but was hesitant to break the relationship as this is where I purchased the car, new, so they do know me. My tourneu cover was a tight fit and one of the popper clasps failed twice, I requested a new replacement and the answer was that they will give me a shout as they need to send away as they were colour matched (what? it's the cover not the bumper!). I'm still awaiting the replacement 2 years later. I decided to walk away rather than laugh at the bovine manure of an excuse. I purchased one from ebay - £20, never been used, honestly, I know from experience that Arnold Clark are hopeless and completely incompetent but never thought I would view another dealership in the same very dim light! When they replaced the engine they also failed to remove all the oil around the Front offside wishbone, I now have unusual suspension related squeaking noises which is almost certainly the mounts moving due to oil trapped between the bush and the mount. To top things off another forum member posted a spotted on my car, I realised that it was under their care at the time so asked where it was spotted, the response? It was being driven from the staff car park and appeared to be conducting a rather 'spirited' 'test run'! (I don't mind but let the oil heat up first, the fekkers!) Anyway if anyone wishes to use a Glasgow dealership named Phoenix Honda in the Whiteinch area ensure you check the car intimately when it is returned to you!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 AM

Mike - I live within spitting distance of Westgate Honda, Grimsby. I travel to York in order that I don't have to use Westgates in Grimsby. However, if you do travel, let me know and I'll come and meet you.

Oddly enough I'm heading up to Whitby tomorrow in my new car.....pictures to follow
Old 09-11-2011, 10:47 AM

Picked S up yesterday and she feels completely different No noises other than the right ones. Hopefully this is mine sorted now and the problem doesn't come back.

Big thank you to all at Marshall Honda, York who took the time to show me the problem and explain it all. Will definitely be making the journey there for all my servicing in future.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
Picked S up yesterday and she feels completely different No noises other than the right ones. Hopefully this is mine sorted now and the problem doesn't come back.

Big thank you to all at Marshall Honda, York who took the time to show me the problem and explain it all. Will definitely be making the journey there for all my servicing in future.
Good result . Hopefully all the owners with the problem cars will experience the same conclusion.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners