UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoke to Honda this morning and Marshalls have been given authorisation to strip the gear box and investigate even further so I'm dropping it off this Friday and leaving it with them for a week so that they can have a good go at it and hopefully get it resolved prior to me picking it up.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by loftust
Originally Posted by ChriS_2k' timestamp='1314530359' post='20921045
Can you confirm your car is the model with the 5 spoke wheels and not an 08 with the 10 spoke
LL's car has the 10 spokes...do not get bogged down in thinking that slightly earlier models (MY08) are unaffected...it has been quite clearly stated on numerous occasions that this problem affects MY08/09.

To play it safe, go for MY07 or earlier.
But LL's car is an MY07, so they too might be affected.

Chris.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM

As I've posted in another thread.. it may be a different issue - you never know! Luckily I've a mate at work with an 02 so comparisons are easy.

I'd recommend we hang fire debating mine until we can have a proper listen tomorrow (it only does it when warm) and I will let you know if I'm booking it straight into Honda!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
Originally Posted by Laserlady' timestamp='1314559125' post='20921775
I will try and get a recording of mine this week.. I didn't hear much in your recording to be honest apart from revving. If you hold the revs at a certain amount what happens? If I hold mine at 2.2k then the ball bearing sound is quite loud .. but then I've not tried to record it thus far. Will so so as soon as I can!

By the way.. 10 spoke wheels but as I have said in the other thread I do not agree that that has any bearing on the issue.
Mine just stays a constant sound. Does yours go when the clutch is pushed in? Mine is certainly something clutch related I think, so perhaps just a typical issue rather than late model engine specific I think...

Oh - missed this sorry!

I've double checked and mine only does it when hot, between 2-3k revs and with the clutch in or out.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LATEST UPDATE

Car goes in for 'New bottom end" on 8 September and hopefully and will be okay for 'running in' on the way up the the Megameet at the end of the month.

For all those who say you don't have to run in an engine these days, I am of the 'old school' being 'old', and it will be treated with loving care during this period ............... and then driven hard and fast 'cos that is what it's made for!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
Originally Posted by Kiteland' timestamp='1308291556' post='20691775
[quote name='mr-pitts' timestamp='1308290561' post='20691751']

Erm,can the thrust washers be replaced from underneath with the sump removed?
Yes but your need to take the gear box out also to get manoeuvring room I understand.
Thanks,I might have a look at doing that this winter,Somebody posted up some engine numbers which were affected and mine was around 500 units outside the 2 extremes...It could be OK,but it could not.
[/quote]

Just re-reading this thread AGAIN and noticed this: can anyone point me to the relevant engine numbers as per referred to please?? That would be a MASSIVE help!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Quick update. Mine is going in for assessment next week so I will update this then.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Re. Engine numbers, within this thread there's this:-
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/876...#entry20862468
Old 09-02-2011, 07:00 AM

Been a little while since I posted an update and today seems appropriate.

CJ (Bundle of Mayhem) and I met with Phil Dix and another manager from HUK this morning. Following my dialogue with HUK they originally suggested coming to see me but given CJs problems and her locality she came along also. I am sure CJ will post her view of today later.

HUK travelled to see us. This is my view of the meeting;

Was it a positive meeting – I would say yes

Have HUK got a fix for my car today – No

Am I confident they are fully investigating the rattle/noise issue – Yes

Am I confident they are taking this very seriously – Yes

HUK explained much of the background that Trish (Bokkie) has posted elsewhere and confirmed again HJPs involvement and the impact of the summer closedown and the unfortunate residual impact of the earthquake in Japan on HJP facilities.

HUK didn’t give a timescale for how long investigations will take and they were understandably very clear that they were unable to say anything on what the problem may be until they had a solution.

What they did share though is that meetings between HUK and HJP later this month are hoped to move the situation forward. Positively they have agreed to come back and see me/CJ at the end of the month to provide an update.

At the meeting I was clear that I was going to post here what had been discussed and they were happy with that.

Am I totally happy – no not yet.

Am I happier than I was – Yes – on the basis that I genuinely believe Honda are doing their best to get to a solution.

They did share that there are a small number of other non 08/09 cars out there that are not on the S2KUK list and where the owners don’t post here that have had problems. They have collected data/parts from all of these cars to inform the investigation. This doesn’t mean all S2000 have problems – this just mean HUK are looking thoroughly and objectively at all the data they have on cars that may have developed a noise/rattle.

Their problem is that we may be seeing a pattern of symptoms reported here but there is no single path back to an underlying route cause. What they were very clear on is that S2000 being out of production has no bearing on the level of resource they will put into the investigation as many of the S2000 “people” are still with HJP and that even if we didn't believe the assurances they are giving the reality is that any systemic issue with any a Honda engine would still have an impact on the brand and customer loyalty.

With regard to my car I am happy to let this sit for a month or so and let HJP concentrate on their investigations. All I would suggest is that if other owners are still concerned you ensure you dealers have noted any checks/investigation on their internal systems so this gets fed back to HUK and onto your cars history.

Anyone not having the best experience with their dealer please drop me a PM and I will point you at someone in HUK that can help.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:39 AM

Very glad to hear that the meeting was positive, and you believe there will be a positive outcome. Let's hope this will be a swift resolution so you can all get on and enjoy your cars!

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners