UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 AM
P 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh no
Fingers crossed here too. You have a PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Bummer. That settles it - German it is then (maybe).
Despite the reassuring words that occasionally pop up that stating nothing much is out of the ordinary - I can't escape the thought that something(s) are not right about the later cars. Way too many (repeated) complaints of similar issues for the number of cars registered to ring true.

There may be more than one issue causing the problems. But scanning the archives - I don't see any other MY taking such flak.
Dumb question. What is the preferred alternative former S owners migrated to. ( No heavy / eco family barges).
A 996 is out- I hear the have the odd engine issue too.

Good luck to owners affected and otherwise.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so I've just spent an hour reading this thread! And I must say I'm a bit dis-heartened. I really did fancy a low miles 08 or 09, but will now be steering clear. I suppose I could find a low miles 07, but I just feel that the whole S2000 trip since 99 has been really very badly tainted by all of this. Honda have always had a solid reputation for engineering integrity, and now this mess. So don't know whether to go for a low miles older car, or just forget it. I must say that of all the S2000s I've owned (4 in total - the last being an 09/09 that didn't go bang in the 4K miles or so I had it), waaaaay the best, rawest and fastest was an 03/03 - excellent little car!

I do have a deposit on a 1M for delivery in Jan 2012. And I had decided to sack it off, save a load of bucks for renovating my next property (listed Georgian... and knackered!) and get another S.... Mmmm.... More deliberating required! I had spotted an 08/08 I really liked the look of..... which brings me to a question - do ALL of the MY08/09 models (ie ones with the 5 spoke wheels) potentially have this engine problem??

Having just been back around this forum for the last few days after a long absence; just want to say what a bl**dy fine forum this is - lots of decent helpful folks here and way less of the haters and d!ckheads one gets on most other forums!!

Regards to all and I really do hope Honda man up and get their sh!t together and properly sort out and look after you guys who are justifiably enough worried about your 08/09 engines.

Mike
Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Loofah
What is the preferred alternative former S owners migrated to. ( No heavy / eco family barges).
Please stay on topic.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Laserlady
I regret to inform you that as of today I have noticed my car is also making a horrible noise between 2-2.4 thousand revs. I will take it into Honda next week and see.

Mine is an 08 plate by the way, 13k miles on the clock.

Gutted.
Nooooo!! Gosh I hope you get it sorted quick LL.
As a matter of interest does your engine number fall between those that Bokkie mentioned?
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/732...t__p__17238316
Old 08-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RON
OK, so I've just spent an hour reading this thread! And I must say I'm a bit dis-heartened. I really did fancy a low miles 08 or 09, but will now be steering clear. I suppose I could find a low miles 07, but I just feel that the whole S2000 trip since 99 has been really very badly tainted by all of this. Honda have always had a solid reputation for engineering integrity, and now this mess. So don't know whether to go for a low miles older car, or just forget it. I must say that of all the S2000s I've owned (4 in total - the last being an 09/09 that didn't go bang in the 4K miles or so I had it), waaaaay the best, rawest and fastest was an 03/03 - excellent little car!

I do have a deposit on a 1M for delivery in Jan 2012. And I had decided to sack it off, save a load of bucks for renovating my next property (listed Georgian... and knackered!) and get another S.... Mmmm.... More deliberating required! I had spotted an 08/08 I really liked the look of..... which brings me to a question - do ALL of the MY08/09 models (ie ones with the 5 spoke wheels) potentially have this engine problem??

Having just been back around this forum for the last few days after a long absence; just want to say what a bl**dy fine forum this is - lots of decent helpful folks here and way less of the haters and d!ckheads one gets on most other forums!!

Regards to all and I really do hope Honda man up and get their sh!t together and properly sort out and look after you guys who are justifiably enough worried about your 08/09 engines.

Mike
Well, some of us more robust debaters are still around, but some of the newer members are a tad sensitive!

Actually, in truth, yes - a lot of other forums are about 80% keyboard warriots and 20% know 80% if the facts...

As to your dilemma; I'm not sure m(any) new cars are better than the S2000; there appear to be potential time bombs with them all there days. So unless you really WANT that 1M...property may not be a good investment, but it'll likely still do less badly than cars.

Maybe a slightly older S2000? It really does seem to affect the last out of Suzaka. Or else keep that warranty going on an '09.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Whilst my sympathy goes out to all those affected by the 'rattle' and the subsequent disappointment & frustrations caused, please don't run away with the idea that the future is German (even a topless German!!).
Beemers & Porkers are not without their faults, and their Dealers & Customer Service can also be called into question.
I also have a 5 series 3.0D (solid reputation), which has caused a few sleepless nights and calls to BMWUK.

I was just about to upgrade my 'old S' to an '09 S when this story broke.
I am now investing a few quid on my '52 reg 'S' after weeks of scouring the dealers and ad's for something different.
Found nowt but smoking Porsches and very ordinary BMW's. (Not to mention XKR Jags)

In short, stick with it. I'm convinced the end result (long term!) will be satisfactory to all.
I just wish Honda would recognize the irreparable damage this could cause to the marque and get this sorted!
Old 08-27-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

As I said earler; they've irrepairably damaged the marque by their own device already.

But otherwise, your post is perfectly valid!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 98RON

Mike
I bought a very low mileage 2003/4 model a few years ago (less than 8000 miles at the time). It's a fantastic car! There are cars like mine out there.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by hammyS2
Originally Posted by Laserlady' timestamp='1314443762' post='20919007
I regret to inform you that as of today I have noticed my car is also making a horrible noise between 2-2.4 thousand revs. I will take it into Honda next week and see.

Mine is an 08 plate by the way, 13k miles on the clock.

Gutted.
Nooooo!! Gosh I hope you get it sorted quick LL.
As a matter of interest does your engine number fall between those that Bokkie mentioned?
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/732...t__p__17238316

No it doesn't Hammy, mine starts 107... I started it up later on (about four hours after posting this) and nothing at all can be heard with a cold engine but as soon as the temperature went up five bars and the revs come down off of choke then throttling up to 2k the sound started. Mine isn't tappety at all but sounds as if someone has dropped a ball bearing under the rocker.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners