UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The transmission whine is easily reproduced on the road at 30mph in 4th and 60 mph in 6th. I had a similar problem with a Mercedes CLK and put a tape recorder on the transmission tunnel which worked successfully.

As I live near the Honda HQ and the dealership is in Slough, I am annoyed that it took the dealership/Honda Technical 8 working days to get together and investigate the problem after I took the car in at the dealerships request.

I agree, it seems the will to investigate is what is lacking, followed by the will to accept that there is a problem with a small number of 09 S2000's.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:17 PM
jsh

Originally Posted by Loofah
Originally Posted by jsh' timestamp='1312835848' post='20858591
I'm sorry but I still have issue's with this " Honda UK will only deal with this on an individual basis " !!
Honda will be obliged to follow this route. They are not being awkward.

Taking it through the courts is another matter.
One for the owners to discuss with a damned good lawyer.

My CSI Slough Junction 5 hat says... class action law suit - 1 lawyer representing as many affected owners as possible is the best route.
But that is just me watching too much telly.

But something that should be looked into. ( just because HUK say they are coming to the table should not mean everyone else navel gazes. )

I'm sorry ? I hav'nt a clue what your talking about !

Affected owner's , as far as I am concerned , mean's everyone with a late model S cos every late model is going to suffer engine failure sooner rather than later IMHO .

Honda's stance on "affected owner's " has the aroma of "damage limitation to me " , i.e. "we may fix your car if you notice it has a problem ! If you do not notice , well tough !"
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Honda have no option but to handle this on an individual case basis. What ever components and/or combination of conditions give rise to the problem (which, let us postulate, does *not* affect all 08/09 engines) can only be uncovered empirically as individuals come forward, by forensic examination.

The S2000 is no longer in new production, so Honda (a) cannot research and find the problem in a development/test environment, develop a solution and put it into production, and (b) they cannot devise so cannot make a 100% good solution for other vehicles. They shut down the development and test workshop over two years ago just after, it seems, they made some unfortunate supplier or component change that resulted in a bunch of lemons off the end of the production line.

Now that they have no way to develop/test/produce a solution, they have to look at each case and build up the evidence bit by bit, find the common factors, and try to come up with a solution by trial-and-error.

That's my guess anyway
Old 08-08-2011, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are enough cars out there with "the noise" issue. P1's and Kiteland's to name but 2 (there are more)

As has been stated, this is not a pre-cursor to engine trouble. It IS engine trouble.

IF Honda do not know the cause of the issue, here are 2 prime examples to look at. This has not been offered to either owner.

What does that tell you ?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem' timestamp='1312834024' post='20858462
Right this better bloody have worked! Please consider that it was done on a wet road whilst raining and on a HTC phone (that's the disclaimer over and done with )

There is a lot of road noise but I don't think you can fail to hear the whine. It's consistent at 33mph and about 3k then it drops off as you speed up. It returns about 45 and then again at 59 in 5 or 6th gear.

http://youtu.be/YkSG99-wv-w
So it's road-speed related rather than engine-speed related, the whine that is?
You can hear the whine almost always however it's very faint when you are just setting off or not putting load on the engine but yes it would appear to be more road-speed related.

Odd that Alan has started to have a problem as well. I struggle to believe that the problems we are having aren't related. Alan, does yours sound the same as mine? The speed/gears seem to be the same.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
There are enough cars out there with "the noise" issue. P1's and Kiteland's to name but 2 (there are more)

As has been stated, this is not a pre-cursor to engine trouble. It IS engine trouble.

IF Honda do not know the cause of the issue, here are 2 prime examples to look at. This has not been offered to either owner.

What does that tell you ?
We don't know if there are enough cars yet Steve. Statistically you need at least 8 (I dimly recall) to even start to reach a valid scientific experiment conclusion, to be able to claim an average with even a very wide probability. If say 10% of F20c engines produced from serial no A to serial no B have the potential to die early you ideally want to have dozens if not hundreds actual dead from the same cause. And who knows, there might well be several factors in play.

So, while waiting for the data base to grow, and making sure they do not needlessly replace engines that ain't yet broke, Honda give out replacements to broken engines to keep people 'happy' (which they're not, but there yer go). However, stocks are limited, so the replacements don't get handed out like free mints in service reception!

Which leaves Gary (P_1) up the swanee for now, he doesn't put on many miles. All he can do is hope that this approach does yield a conclusion ultimately, and that those who do put in the miles and engines go pop will enable Honda to solve the problem with enough certainty to be able to issue a formal recall. Which, if they ever do, will be time to Honda.

All of which is my guess.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 AM

About 20 engines listed in this thread Rog, some quoting engine numbers, some just making reference to the dealerships where the work has been carried out

Add the owners with "undiagnosed" issues

I know of more.......

Appreciate where you are coming from but it's Honda's lack of (public) recognition of the issues that concerns me most
Old 08-09-2011, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1312840486' post='20858859
[quote name='Bundle of Mayhem' timestamp='1312834024' post='20858462']
Right this better bloody have worked! Please consider that it was done on a wet road whilst raining and on a HTC phone (that's the disclaimer over and done with )

There is a lot of road noise but I don't think you can fail to hear the whine. It's consistent at 33mph and about 3k then it drops off as you speed up. It returns about 45 and then again at 59 in 5 or 6th gear.

http://youtu.be/YkSG99-wv-w
So it's road-speed related rather than engine-speed related, the whine that is?
You can hear the whine almost always however it's very faint when you are just setting off or not putting load on the engine but yes it would appear to be more road-speed related.

Odd that Alan has started to have a problem as well. I struggle to believe that the problems we are having aren't related. Alan, does yours sound the same as mine? The speed/gears seem to be the same.
[/quote]

Hi CJ

It sounds quite similar and if and when I get my car back I will try to record and upload the sounds. If anything mine seems louder and I am partially deaf !!!!

If all else fails, we can compare at the end of the month.

Alan
Old 08-09-2011, 07:02 AM

Update: mine is booked in for next Wednesday as HUK have authorised further investigation into the whine. Unfortunately due to workload Wednesday is earliest I can do.

Alan if you have any feedback before then can you let me know
Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I could only hear it right at the end of the file - that sort of whistling sound I attributed to diff whine. Mine was like a kettle boiling as the roadspeed increased over about 40. It went away after the diff change, but obviously the driveshafts were irritated so it could be CV joints or even wheelbearings.

I was not charged for Hypoid oil at the 27,000 service, which I think is what caused mine.

PS - these are bloody noisy cars - I thought it was a lot quieter than my MX-5 at first!

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners