UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can hear it all right over every other car noise going. The only time I didn't hear it this morning was with the roof down and Kings of Leon on full whack on the concrete A180 then the rain started, roof went up and me and the transmission sang along to Massive Attack

The noise is best described as the old test card noise you use to get on the BBC with the girl and the clown.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Sort of cross between that and an old whistling kettle?

Mine did that. Change of diff fixed it. New diff started doing it later. I turn up radio.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 AM

Anybody looked on Pistonheads lately?

I'm looking to buy an S2K and there are plenty of 09 cars for sale

Don't know why everyone is panicking. Honda will sort the problem I'm sure. You don't get a reputation as the best engine builder in the world to not address this rattling issue. Patience folks. Drive 'em, watch em go bang then watch Honda put a new lump in it for you Gratis!

Honda are Uber proud of their reputation. I know a moron who slaughtered his EP3 from cold everyday until it went pop and they replaced if under warranty.

I think the Accord type R syncro was a lot more minor than this and my understanding was many were rectified under warranty. Mine failed at 180K miles so I could hardly bitch about it Toe
Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 AM
jsh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tailhappy

Don't know why everyone is panicking. Honda will sort the problem I'm sure. You don't get a reputation as the best engine builder in the world to not address this rattling issue. Patience folks. Drive 'em, watch em go bang then watch Honda put a new lump in it for you Gratis!

Honda are Uber proud of their reputation. I know a moron who slaughtered his EP3 from cold everyday until it went pop and they replaced if under warranty.

I think the Accord type R syncro was a lot more minor than this and my understanding was many were rectified under warranty. Mine failed at 180K miles so I could hardly bitch about it Toe
I , for one admire your optimisem

Unfortunatly I will not be holding my breath
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 AM

Too funny for words.
Honda have been "investigating" for over 2 years now - including sending 2 engines over to Japan in 2009.... but that was proven a lie by the HUK customer service team.

There is no shortage of engines to chose from throughout the 2 year period.

The will to investigate is what is lacking.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
Just got back from Honda dealer who I must say where very good and didn't make me feel like I was 'inventing' the noise. Almost feel like I've got Munchausen by proxy

Anyway, we went for a test drive and I got it to sing for the Technician. So off I trot in a Honda Jazz 1.2 which gave me back ache by the end of the day and returned at 3pm. They advised that they have applied to Honda UK for authorisation to investigate further so I now await a phone call. The service guy was helpful and said if it was declined he would find out why and advise and the same with why Grimsby Honda were declined.

I got to speak to the Technician afterwards and he said he took it for a long test drive after the service and found that the noise started at 3k and got higher the faster you went. He agreed that this wasn't an S2000 character noise at that pitch.

So it's now wait for the phone call which I've advised should be within 48hrs. Shouldn't take that long to get authorisation.

Alan with regards to trying to get a recording, we struggled to replicate the whine on the ramps at work.
did the technician express an opinion about just how serious a problem the noise represents?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by tailhappy

Can I have some of whatever it is you've been smoking ?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Tailhappy fancy making me an offer

Gad - TBF I didn't ask. I just asked if he thought it was a standard S noise. I've just tried recording it on my phone and you can hear it. Will see if I can figure out how to get it off my phone and onto here and cut out the boring bits at the traffic lights
Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
Tailhappy fancy making me an offer

Gad - TBF I didn't ask. I just asked if he thought it was a standard S noise. I've just tried recording it on my phone and you can hear it. Will see if I can figure out how to get it off my phone and onto here and cut out the boring bits at the traffic lights
Stick it up as a video on youtube, even if it's only audio.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

yeah, but see if you can do anything about your dodgy taste in music first

you could park it in hackney tonight

that should sort the problem

(joke - just in case anyone reading this is even more dense than I think)

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners